CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Moonstriker project - '97 1200 Custom

This is a visual reference for myself so I can see the progress of the bike and record my thoughts somewhere. The bikes being ridden through the whole process, so there is a lot of temporary shit to hold stuff together. I have a lot of big ideas for this bike, so it's going to be quite a long drawn out process. You're either going to love it or hate it, probably hate it. So if you don't like it, you can fuck off. It's nowhere near completion, if you can't see that you're an idiot. I give zero fucks about your opinion. Go inflate your ego somewhere else.

The idea for this bike is to have a minimalist solo rat bike that is comfy as hell and looks super unique. I don't want my bikes to just look like a cookie-cutter rip off of everyone elses bike just with a different paint job. That shit's lame. Everyone thinks they're being different but so many end up looking like copies. I want this bike to stand out from a distance, as well as up close with the finer details. The original idea was to chop it and hard tail with a drop seat. I'm an aspiring Jackson Pollock

I picked up this pristine '97 1200 Custom. It was almost too nice to start tearing apart. I'm not a chrome kind of guy, but I decided the combination of rust and chrome will look sick for a rat bike, and definitely unique. So many guys just rattle can the whole things matte black. Boring.

I started off with some easy take offs, getting rid of shiny crap, like the front fender, the lower pulley guard, heat shields. While I was at it I installed a slims fab fork brace.

That charcoal canister had to go. The vacuum line was actually pinched between the oil tank and the frame and had a big hole in it already. They must have done that when assembling it at the factory. I didn't have any hose plugs so I jammed a screw in there and ziptied it temporarily.

Since I don't have a good way of chopping and setting up to hardtail, and since I've never ridden a hard tail before, I decided to change it to a strut build and see how I like it first.
    I redrew the bike with the strut build in mind, and the stance I wanted with 10 overs and 10" struts. I actually traced it off my computer monitor from a picture of hatesquatch to make sure I got the proportions right. I like seeing a lot of air through bikes, and decided I was going to clean out everything thing under the seat so it's open. The battery and oil will be moved somewhere. Possibly to the front of the frame.

I absolutely hated the handlebars and speedo look. So I took all that apart, removed the speedo, removed the turn signals. I borrowed some riserless tbars from my brother and cut open the switch housings so I could run them without bar dimples. I also mounted the headlight up on an arm which I would need for later since the fender would have blocked the headlight.

I figured while I had it all apart, I might as well get rid of the horn, move the coil, move the ignition, and make some temporary tank lift tabs.

Bought a split tank and test fit it in various ways on the bike. Probably going to do the lifted look. This thing is HUGE.

Struts arrived, put those on real quick

Last edited by LisaBallard; 10-04-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My buddy hooked me up with an old worn out knobby tire so I hacked it up and made a fender out of it. It will need more adjusting and manipulation as the build progresses.

Thanks for the hookup @copley_crazy804

A photo posted by Dane "Milky" Mehl (@danemehl) on

Hello new fender

I like it so far. Might flip the bolts around, we'll see once it's on the bike with the 10 overs installed

Trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with the tank. Could me cool to chop the sides off and weld flat plates back on, almost coffin shape.

Got the taillight I plan to use in the mail. Looks pretty cool.

This cat eye taillight is the cats pajamas ��

Last edited by Dane; 09-28-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

My 10 over tubes arrived So I got those on as soon as possible. One of the fork caps was torqued on way too tight and that took up a good portion of my day getting it off. I don't have a six sided 1-3/8 socket so I had to settle for a 35mm. Now the fender looks more in proportion.

Look at the fancy tools I make. BUILT NOT BOUGHT YO ��������������

When I was taking the front wheel off I noticed that it was missing a spacer... So I ordered another one.

I snagged some sweet risers on Instagram from show class mag that were just what I wanted and I'm going to run these bars on them temporarily.

I really badly want to get the fender and tank off, before I scratch em to shit and they're not worth anything anymore. But it might be a while before I can relocate the oil, battery, and wiring. So I got a spring seat La Rosa kit that I'll later sell again. Pulled off the fender and installed it all. Not sure what they planned for you to do with the fuses and everything, so I moved them to the side and got a longer bolt to secure it. I already knew I wanted to use a biltwell seat so I got one of the raw foam ones and temp'd a ratty cover.

To protect the wiring from debris in the meantime I cut a piece of cardboard out, spray painted it and ziptied it to the frame.

Coming soon, cardboard custom work.

Thinking of running just one half of the tank, and mounting an ammo can to the other side. Then I could put the battery, all the connections inside. I could also put the remaining switches and indicators on the side and lid. If there's enough room, I could make a little rig to hold a fuel bottle by it too.

If I go with that idea, I need to decide where the oil is going to go. Either mounted to the front of the frame, in the manner of a long vertical cylinder, or mounted to the sissy bar, which would look awesome too. Since the gas tank would only be about 2.3 gallons now, and I generally like 3+, I'm considering also mounting a reserve tank to the sissy bar. But it would need to be as high or higher than the gas tank no? Unless I wanted to install a fuel pump. Or I could use it just as an emergency reserve, with a bottom drain that I could open and pour into a fuel bottle on the side of the road.

The bike has a long ways to go, but its getting there slowly.
    Last edited by Dane; 09-29-2016 at 8:59 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Last edited by seaking; 09-29-2016 at 8:13 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oohhh shit... He did it !!
    When I saw the draw, I was thinking that you have no drawing talent... but.. in fact... you did it exactly as you draw it !!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Calm down ladies. Don't all drop your panties for me at once. There's plenty to go around.

Get Adobe Flash player

The thing that is sure is that you are well following the plans..

Get Adobe Flash player

Dude...i'm all into rat rods and bikes, hoodrat stuff & co...but this
    Just why?

Get Adobe Flash player

That's ........ Well, lets just say ....... "Different" !!!!

I have always like the Sportster Custom models ..... A cool bike right out the doors of the Factory.....

Here is a 01 that seen a bit of hands on....

Slamed it ..... You went the other way with yours .... No doubt the handling will suffer a lot ..... Be Careful riding it ....
    Last edited by Dragstews; 09-29-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's somewhere beyond ugly into schizophrenic but that's the intent so I'll evaluate with "outsider art" in mind.

The following commentary is not sarcastic, at all. Anyone should be able to dispassionately view art and get what that art says.

Needs an exhaust. Long upsweeps bent at the local muffler shop with hinged tractor stack caps would fit the theme. Stabilized rust is better than chrome.

Hardtailing is traditional therefore won't show the hate you want. Struts are suitably cobby and can be made in odd and visually interesting ways.

One underused rat classic is lightening holes everywhere. The struts would look better with them but drill them off-center to annoy viewers. The use of creative vandalism in anti-functional art can have interesting effects, but to work well the object should be so hyper-detailed that everything catches the eye.

Needs an air cleaner. The stock ham can looks like ass on a rat. What non-traditional shapes does OP like? I'm not quite sure what to use there.

You could trade the tires for knobby or trials style. The Apocalypse will be muddy.

A Japanese stock tank would be optimally obnoxious and inexpensively complete the anti-Harley theme. Ask 4chan for some appropriate kanji lettering. The characteristic edge flange on Jap tanks is where they traded looks for convenience. It's usefully ugly and would be distinctive on a motorcycle that says "fuck you" in every way. The anti-Harley vibe could be enhanced with acid etched or engraved side cases. OPs call on what art to use but that plain open space begs for tagging.

Alternate option, run a needle scaler over the cases and let nature patina the rest. A contrasting metal ignition cover is another art opportunity.

Part of truly defiling what others consider mechanically sacred is decisive disruption of original esthetic flow.

Random contour changes on head and cylinder fins, notching, grooving and so forth would be an amusing "fuck you" to traditional observers.

The most aggressive anti-Harley rear end treatment is when someone uses a monoshock Jap swingarm but doesn't shorten the pivot to axle distance.

The tire fender has potential. You can make clean cuts in truck tires with an abrasive disk in an angle grinder to get a matching rear.

Medical oxygen cylinders are tough aluminum and one would make a great bitch bar fuel bottle. Caps and bungs are affordable.

A reserve tank only needs to be higher than the carb, not the other tank. Shutoffs are up to you when managing fuel levels. No pump needed for a bitch bar tank.

This could be worthy of the late G.G. Allin. an art ride that conveys total hatred of everything.

"In rock and roll there can be no limits":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmN0q_n7AZM
    Last edited by farmall; 09-29-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    It's somewhere beyond ugly into schizophrenic but that's the intent so I'll evaluate with "outsider art" in mind.

The following commentary is not sarcastic, at all. Anyone should be able to dispassionately view art and get what that art says.

Needs an exhaust. Long upsweeps bent at the local muffler shop with hinged tractor stack caps would fit the theme. Stabilized rust is better than chrome.

Hardtailing is traditional therefore won't show the hate you want. Struts are suitably cobby and can be made in odd and visually interesting ways.

One underused rat classic is lightening holes everywhere. The struts would look better with them but drill them off-center to annoy viewers. The use of creative vandalism in anti-functional art can have interesting effects, but to work well the object should be so hyper-detailed that everything catches the eye.

Needs an air cleaner. The stock ham can looks like ass on a rat. What non-traditional shapes does OP like? I'm not quite sure what to use there.

You could trade the tires for knobby or trials style. The Apocalypse will be muddy.

A Japanese stock tank would be optimally obnoxious and inexpensively complete the anti-Harley theme. Ask 4chan for some appropriate kanji lettering. The characteristic edge flange on Jap tanks is where they traded looks for convenience. It's usefully ugly and would be distinctive on a motorcycle that says "fuck you" in every way. The anti-Harley vibe could be enhanced with acid etched or engraved side cases. OPs call on what art to use but that plain open space begs for tagging.

Alternate option, run a needle scaler over the cases and let nature patina the rest. A contrasting metal ignition cover is another art opportunity.

Part of truly defiling what others consider mechanically sacred is decisive disruption of original esthetic flow.

Random contour changes on head and cylinder fins, notching, grooving and so forth would be an amusing "fuck you" to traditional observers.

The most aggressive anti-Harley rear end treatment is when someone uses a monoshock Jap swingarm but doesn't shorten the pivot to axle distance.

The tire fender has potential. You can make clean cuts in truck tires with an abrasive disk in an angle grinder to get a matching rear.

Medical oxygen cylinders are tough aluminum and one would make a great bitch bar fuel bottle. Caps and bungs are affordable.

A reserve tank only needs to be higher than the carb, not the other tank. Shutoffs are up to you when managing fuel levels. No pump needed for a bitch bar tank.

This could be worthy of the late G.G. Allin. an art ride that conveys total hatred of everything.

"In rock and roll there can be no limits":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmN0q_n7AZM
    You're on it. 100% Most of what you've said is stuff I already have planned, but I really like your other ideas and you've sparked some other creative thoughts in my mind. That's why I made this thread, so that I could interact with people just like you. The best way to get ideas fabricated and solidified is to bounce them off others. Thanks for taking the time, going to hit them one by one:

The stocker exhaust is horrible. You'll notice I didn't sketch pipes on any of my sketches, I don't know what I want to do and it will probably be one of the last things I do. Originally I wanted short pipes and a 2-1 or 2-2 skirt blower setup with flap caps on the end. Then I decided I wanted to pull em back near the rear tire, but keep the slip-ons and poke them up at weird angles (not parallel).

I might still go the hardtail route if I like the feel, but I agree with you, they're weird and I think I can make em work at least for the time being.

I will be drilling holes in some parts, but I think it can be really overdone, then it just looks funky. It's a fine balance imo. The struts are aluminum, they seem super strong but I don't know if I would want to drill them. You're right about the fine details. When you start messing stuff up, anything that is left "normal" is then out of place. Just about everything on this bike will get some attention, besides maybe the rear mag wheel and the triple trees. But who knows where it might go later on.

These air cleaners look horrid on any bike. I absolutely despise them. I've been cruising ebay hoping to find some old piece of junk that I could make into a sick cleaner cover. I didn't sketch the air cleaner out either because it's up in the air at the moment. But it will most likely be small.

I will be changing the tires to dual sport ones when these wear out. These are possibly the most ugly tread pattern I've ever seen, and not in a good way.

The tank is a work in progress, it could go anywhere at this point. As for engraving, that's exactly what I had planned. I hate chrome, but I decided that if I was going to keep any chrome on it, that I would engrave it. I think if it's too elaborate it will come off as too steam-punky and lame. So I'm not sure what kind of things/patterns I will use, but it will come to me eventually.

Not sure what you mean with the needle scaler. Ignition cover will get addressed for sure. The cam cover will also be chopped along with the pulley guard.

"defiling what others consider mechanically sacred" haha I love it. Why would I want to be anything other than weird? That's no fun.

I considered changing out some components or painting them so they're mismatched. Like rocker covers, fork sliders, swingarm, etc. Not sure if I will pursue that or not.

The original idea was to monoshock it. But I don't believe I have the skills at this time to accomplish it and still have the bike be a comfortable rider. I like the way chopped monoshocks look with all that air beneath the seats, that's where I got the idea to relocate the oil and battery from.

I see a lot of rat bikes that overuse recycled tire, almost as a decoration on parts where it's not even needed. I have a cheapo plastic half fender I'll mock up on the back. The backrest on the seat will function as the rest of the fender, and no wiring will be underneath anymore so nothing will be at risk from debris. If that looks like crap, I might go with some more recycled tire tread.

Love the idea with the oxygen tanks. I'm now planning to do just that. Originally I thought re-purposing an old fire extinguisher for the oil tank too. Sounds like it would be a lot easier to use an oxygen tank and paint it up to look like one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got to ride it today finally. Stance felt great. Tracked super well. A little squirrely in the low speed but I had it down after a minute. I'm used to that so it's not an issue for me. Seat is a little too springy, probably need to change to an inch shorter springs. Tubes need some fine tuning on the oil level. Then it will be pretty solid.

Gotta get a taillight and the license plate back on. Next up will be temping some bars on, getting the gas tank situated. Then I can hopefully move the battery and wire harness, start working on switches. Once I move the oil and battery out I can solidify the seat design, which I need to do in order to get the backrest right.

Then the plan is to temp a backrest so I can figure out how long I need to make the bars. Once the backrest angle is established, I can start on the sissy bar.

Get Adobe Flash player

god damn what the fuck

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    this^^^^

Get Adobe Flash player

It'll get "looks"

Get Adobe Flash player

Thread should have been titled "how to turn a $3500.00 bike into a $350.00 bike" Sweet Jesus

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea man that poor sporty....

Sorry. I got nothing positive to say and it's like I'm watching was what once a respectable motorcycle slip into the abyss

Get Adobe Flash player

Get back in yer cage.....

Don't make me get the hose!

Get Adobe Flash player

I think it's cool your doing something different. One you get into a thing like this, the opinions of others don't hold much weight.

Share This