Got the shovel intake leak stopped (finally)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gorgeous
    • Aug 2013

Yeah, this kit was trash. Hose went to shit in less than a week on my panhead. Problem is, once it splits on the inside, it leaks like crazy thru the mesh.

Tip though. You can get better hose thats a little thicker but has the same ID on Amazon for 10$ for about 6 inches of it. Its intake hose for metric cars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The one I got was cheaper and longer but this is basically what it was. Remember having to do a little digging to find it.

Local guy here in town told me the reason the FNA kit was expensive is because he adds length to the non-threaded side of the hose clamp so it overlaps and stays concentric all the way around, not sure if this is true. He also said that they cut the tubing on a lathe. Which is totally not necessary if you're careful but makes sense on a production scale. Either way, it did not work for me, lowbrow said they'd send me another but I never heard back from them.

Comment

• gorgeous
      • Aug 2013

Ideal-Tridon Lined Clamps are designed for use with silicone rubber and other soft hose applications. Shop Ideal-Tridon Lined Clamps and more Today.

After seeing farmalls link, it appears they're really not doing anything to the clamps, just using these. So yeah, dont spend 60 bones on that shit. I'd be totally for it if it worked, but it was a lot to have it go to shit in a week.

Comment

• KELD
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Blackbetty
        Mind linking where you can find PTFE lined hose for $35 a foot? I attempted to source some myself but at the end of the day it was way too expensive.

I agree with this - I went through two kits before I went back to orings, he warrantied my first kit. In my experience, the liner in the hose is too thin and deteriorates quickly causing leaks. You have to keep your clamps loose enough to not tear the hose, but tight enough so your shit doesn't shake off the bike or let any air by.

I went back to orings and if your heads are aligned it's set and forget.
        Were you running a carb support bracket?

Comment

• Hyde
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by gorgeous
          http://idealtridon.com/aftermarket/lined-clamps/

After seeing farmalls link, it appears they're really not doing anything to the clamps, just using these. So yeah, dont spend 60 bones on that shit. I'd be totally for it if it worked, but it was a lot to have it go to shit in a week.
          I’m not sure what went to shit in a week, I put my business card with contact info in every kit that actually has my cell on it, I’ll be happy to help sort out any issues. The shielded band clamps that you have above Are too wide to fit two on the narrow bands so I do have to make them using all stainless 5/16” wide clamps and weld each one a shield to prevent the hose clamp from shredding the seal. I have thousands of miles on these kits and know many others that do too without issues. I stand be hind this product and am not trying to take advantage of anyone, just make a good part that solves a weak design which cause many headaches.

There is an actual patent that you can look up and was not cheap, but the only way to keep Vtwin and others from ripping it off. The patent is for selling the kit with four separate clamps which allow the heads to be off and maintain seal.

Comment

• Blackbetty
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KELD
            Were you running a carb support bracket?
            Always

Comment

• gorgeous
              • Aug 2013

If you want to DM me you can, I'll gladly send you photos of the busted hose and give you my address so you can send me new seals. I'm running carb supports off of the case bolt and another off the top motor mount just to be sure that wasnt what was causing this. I didn't over tighten as I'd been told these were prone to splitting. Soapy water tested it after I couldn't start it, after riding the bike ONE TIME, and there were bubbles coming through the mesh on the ends of the hose. Not really trying to talk shit, its a lot of money for something, that ultimately, didn't work for more than a couple of miles. This is purely my experience with this product.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Hose liner shouldn't deteriorate if hose is correct for an application. Pics of deterioration would be useful.

Two clamps have the advantage of conforming separately to slightly offset manifold and head spigots. Single clamps support more of the sealing band and do so across the joint. Perhaps a single strip of metal beneath both clamps and the sealing bands would conform but take the shear load off the hose.

If hose is splitting at the joint it's because mere hose can't hold up to manifold movement which is a considerable load and includes the mass of the carburetor.

Reinforced hose could be the best product fix and it's cheap to buy test sections. A call to DuPont, Eaton or Parker reps might get some kickass new hose no one here has heard of yet.

BTW the patent (if this is it)_

A kit maintains a seal of a joint of a fuel intake port member of a cylinder head and a fuel distribution port member of an intake manifold of a Harley Davidson® motorcycle with panhead, ironhead or shovelhead engine. The kit includes an elastomeric band and a pair of circular clamps.

wouldn't conflict with tougher clamps and better hose which would probably necessitate tougher clamps to compress it. Ideal make a nice variety.

Comment

• Sky
                  • Aug 2009

Properly installed, the o-ring and aircraft-clamp setup is the way to go

Misalignments should be fixed not worked around

For band style heads, reinforced radiator hose and aircraft-clamps have given me reliable results.
                  Silicone hose just don't hold up under clamp load, reinforced or not
                  I tried some (with aircraft clamps) and the inner silicone split on the test ride

Haven't tried the four individual worm-gear clamps on a Harley
                  But like Tattoo said, been done on Brit and Jap bikes for years...
                  With radiator hose

Hyde says he adds a shield to the worm clamps in his kit
                  Sounds good
                  Is there a recommended torque for his kit?

Running cast rubber seals meant for butt connecting water pipe on my stroker Shovel.
                  (band style heads and non-stroker band manifold)
                  Has a lip inside that acts as a spacer/adaptor
                  (and theoretically induction pulse damper, maybe)
                  Aircraft clamps and carb support of course
                  Lasted at least two years now

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

^^^^^^ Sky I bet you don't like worm clamps either??^^^^^^ They are a bad choice for a clamp on an intake...

Comment

• Blackbetty
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by farmall
                      Hose liner shouldn't deteriorate if hose is correct for an application. Pics of deterioration would be useful.
                      The hose type is british made Samco sport PTFE lined silicone hose, it's nice stuff and isn't cheap but I believe this application needs something with a thicker lining.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Excellent photos! I That does look a bit thin and the Teflon is stiffer than the parent hose so it failed by delaminating and cracking.

Thin hose used as fully supported sealing bands is different than thin hose under shear loads.

I don't think PTFE is a good liner for that application. Looks to me the vibration peeled it free of the parent hose.

Samco probably make perfectly good hose for less demanding applications but I'd look for a more robust hose of a single material (no delamination that way) and tougher reinforcement. Teflon is nice for chemical resistance but it's not great for structural strength in thin sheets which get dry-fucked by moving parts the unclamped hose section must support and control.

Samco likely seemed a good choice since they sell a shitload of hose for automotive applications, but few of those are like Harley intake manifolds.

BritJap intake hoses lead much cooler, lightly loaded, less brutal lives. They don't see the shear loads of a Harley intake joint. Radiator hose eventually dries out but by then it's usually time for other carb maintenance so no big deal.

Comment

• DanAz
                          • Sep 2011

I looked in to something like this about 12 years back.
                          I found the proper hose at a commercial A/C servicing and parts shop.
                          The inner lining seems to be some type of fiber reinforced silicone and the outer is tough as nails reinforced rubber.

Comment

• KELD
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DanAz
                            I looked in to something like this about 12 years back.
                            I found the proper hose at a commercial A/C servicing and parts shop.
                            The inner lining seems to be some type of fiber reinforced silicone and the outer is tough as nails reinforced rubber.
                            Interesting. Do you recall the material?

Comment

• TheSandman
                              • Apr 2011

I went to my local speed shop and got silicone reinforced induction hose. It’s used for high pressure induction and turbo systems on cars. I bought a 6” section for $20 and bought a box of breeze clamps from McMaster Carr. Been running it for almost a year and has worked perfect.

Personally, I think the FNA is way overpriced for what it is.

Also, you can get the silicone hose I’m talking about from vibrant performance.
                              Vibrant Performance is the Source for Professional Fabrication Components with a vast offering of exhaust, fluid delivery, tubing, and silicone parts for custom or modified forced induction applications.

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

Breeze make some interesting stuff too.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;