Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Sep 2016

FLH 1200 1979 Shovelhead, no spark

Hello Everybody!

I am working on my fathers FLH, he passed away so I'm trying to fix it in his honors. Now the bike is in somewhat messed state. It has started before but that was before it was sent to the garage for storage. Everything was pulled of so now I have to start kind of from scratch.

Now I have a couple bikes, but they are much easier to understand than the FLH. I do have books about it and trying to understand how everything works but I have been stuck for days now and have no idea what to do, and I can't call my dad for instructions..

So I got the bike cranking, but I am not having a spark whatsoever. I have the blue and white cables coming from the ignition module to the ignition coil and even tried the hotwire method. Which was running a cable from the + batt pole to the ignition coil with the white wire. The ignition coil is getting warm. But no spark.

Now it does need to be said that there are loose cables everywhere. Honestly, I have no idea where to put them yet. But all I want is the bike to start so I can continue with finishing it.

I have multimeters but no idea how to test or what to test, I'm a little bit lost here.

Hope there is somebody out there willing to help.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
    Jonathan
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Hello there, Why are you hot wiring the bike???????? Don't you have the key?????? That's no way to start and you need to tighten all the loose wires......... The wiring diagram is your friend....... I also have a 79 and they are easy to work on......

Comment

• Sep 2016

Hi Tattooo! Thank you very mich for the quick reply.
      I'm hot wiring to see if it was at least giving a spark.. I know that is not the best thing to do but I am out of ideas. I have tried the wiring diagram but still no result.

I have a cable that says "RPM counter to Bobine". Bobine is another name for ignition coil. And another cable which is the kill switch. Where to connect these.

And there is indeed no key. Nobody knows where it is but the switch is turning though.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Get a factory service manual and factory parts book if you are using something different.

Post clear pics of what you are working on since we don't read minds.

Simplified wiring diagrams exist so there's always the option of wiring it your own way and knowing where everything goes.

As for starting, ensure the carb is clean and the tank has fresh fuel (or run it off a dummy tank)

Remove the points cover and post a pic so we know what ignition you are running./

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Wasn't that year model the first of the electronic ign systems...???
          Still was using the fly-weight advance unit, I believe ...

When they shit the bed I always did a replacement with a Dyna-S or better...
          The Dyna-S retained the advance unit which does wear and causes problems...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 09-04-2016, 9:13 AM.
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Sep 2016

Hi farmall and Dragstews! Thank you both for the response. I am using multiple books including the factory service manual. It looks though like my dad cut out the wiring diagram, maybe I'll find it somewhere in the garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1292462

Below some pics of the module / coil and switch:

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1292463

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1292464

Name:	IMG_0295.JPG
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1292465

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1292466

If you guys need something else do let me know!
            (The last pic is turned to lights, just to show power is going to the switch.)

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Yeah ...
              What you do have there is the factory electronic ign... (First Year)
              I would throw that POS as far as I could and go back to points or perhaps up-grade to a Dyna-S or better...

With the Dyna-S you get to keep the same coil...
              If you use other type of a electronic trigger may need to change the coil...
              Last edited by Dragstews; 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Sep 2016

That was what I was affraid of. What is better points or dyna? Also how do I figure wheter this is single or dual fire?

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

It's a dual fire system ....

A point system requires adjustments and replacement from time to time ....
                  The electronic is a set it once and "Forgetaboutit" but for the fly-weight advance unit...

Can go to a fully electronic that does away with the fly-wights...
                  As in ....
                  Hi-4
                  Dyna 2000I
                  Ultra ... and so on...

You can go to the single fire system but will be in need of a coil that supports that system..

.../// http://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovel...or-77-flh.html \\\...
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 09-04-2016, 9:47 AM.

Comment

• Sep 2016

I want to change as little as possible. I found this:

Motoronderdelen Roukama! Dyna S Ontsteking Harley-Davidson Dual fire vanaf 1970 [61.DSK6-1] - ***ELECTRONICA NEMEN WIJ NIET RETOUR, CONTROLEER EERST OF JE DIT ONDERDEEL ECHT NODIG HEBT***Dyna S Ignition System  Dit hoogwaardig stukje techniek maakt de condensators en de contactpunten overbodig. Is een compleet zelf regelend systeem gebouwd met de nieuwste state-of-the-art meet apparatuur.Dit is hetzelfde systeem

Pricy but if it's ok I'll buy it..

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

The photo in the ad shows a Dyna that is made for running single fire....
                      Most likely it's a messed up photo ... ???

But that would be the ticket...
                      When you order it make sure your getting the dual fire system...

Your manual will show you how to check the coil's primary & secondary winding's....
                      It will be wise to do that before you order the Dyna-S cause ya just might have a bad coil too....

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

I put points back in mine...... Never gives me any problems.......... If your ignition wasn't fried before it is now......... You can't wire it like that.......

Also find you a wiring diagram............ You need it...........

Comment

• Sep 2016

I found a cheaper one on ebay since I'm a cheapskate, I think this is the correct one?

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1292467

As you instructed I tested the coils with a basic charger and it gave small sparks so I'm guessing it should be ok. Furthermore I took out the module and it smelled rather burnish, so I think it's just dead.

Do let me know and thanks a bunch for all your help!

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Since your cheap why not just change to points???? They are cheaper.........

Comment

• Sep 2016

Whatever works, for points do I need to change the coils?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;