CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Throttles

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Throttles

Seems like I read that there is a problem getting a decent throttle. If there was a one wire with a lock for 1" bars with a sleeve to fit available grips, very well made from aluminum what would
    you think was a fair price?

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Not sure how you won't take a complete bath on a machined alloy throttle with more features than biltwell at less than $100 a pop.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
    Not sure how you won't take a complete bath on a machined alloy throttle with more features than biltwell at less than $100 a pop.
    I'm just lookin for some feedback and opinions about what you get for how much. Apparently besides the chinese ones, everything else has issues. Looks like the biltwells are junk at any price. Does anybody run just a simple cut to length bicycle cable anymore or are they all the prefit type?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    I'm just lookin for some feedback and opinions about what you get for how much. Apparently besides the chinese ones, everything else has issues. Looks like the biltwells are junk at any price. Does anybody run just a simple cut to length bicycle cable anymore or are they all the prefit type?
    I've run a Biltwell throttle for several years with no issues. I had to slightly modify the throttle tube to smooth out the action a bit, but otherwise I've got no complaints.

Get Adobe Flash player

What's amusing is CNC can hit any needed tolerance, so any defect is by deliberate design choice.

Someone should make a billet housing just like the chrome cheapy except with a sexy surface finish. I run the chrome cheap Emgo style that's been out forever.

I still run bicycle cables now and then. All you need is the usual cable end kit or an end from an auto store cable end kit. The sleeve doesn't benefit from being metal, and since grip covers sleeve there's no cosmetic tradeoff.
    (I don't do metal grips.)

Get Adobe Flash player

Ive had the same 12$ ebay throttle for years now. no complaints.

Get Adobe Flash player

I bought a cheap eBay one recently, it's fine. Funny thing is if you look at chops in magazines, it looks like people have been using that same cheap ass unit for decades.

Get Adobe Flash player

love the cheap ones with throttle lock on bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    love the cheap ones with throttle lock on bottom
    Ran those for a lot of years with a lot of luck and they are as simple as fuck

Get Adobe Flash player

Something has always puzzled me about this, if CNC can hold a tolerance of .0002 how come these things are so fucked up?

Get Adobe Flash player

Something has always puzzled me about this, if CNC can hold a tolerance of .0002 how come these things are so fucked up?
    Because the designer didn't give a shit about anything but looking cool and selling at a crazy markup. They also failed to copy success because some people insist on confusing change with progress.

Remember a lot of designers aren't engineers, they are a bro jerking off with CAD. (Of course engineers fuck shit up too.)

DrFxr is right. Those cheap throttles were old in the 1980s and are a copy of an older stock throttle. If Emgo sold an unplated one it would be easy to make nice since there's nothing functionally wrong with those throttles.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Because the designer didn't give a shit about anything but looking cool and selling at a crazy markup. They also failed to copy success because some people insist on confusing change with progress.

Remember a lot of designers aren't engineers, they are a bro jerking off with CAD. (Of course engineers fuck shit up too.)

DrFxr is right. Those cheap throttles were old in the 1980s and are a copy of an older stock throttle. If Emgo sold an unplated one it would be easy to make nice since there's nothing functionally wrong with those throttles.
    Two things:

1) The problems with the biltwell throttle have to do with the cast housing, not the CNC sleeve. It is CAST, not CNC. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that casting is inherently less accurate, and that it's pretty easy to introduce differences in tolerances when re-creating the original mold (or whatever you call the thing you're pouring the molten metal into).

2) It could have a lot to do with farming out the production process to janky Chinese factories, which is exactly what happens with the Biltwell throttle. And maybe you change factories, the a mold is inaccurately reproduced. Or maybe the same factory produced a new mold, inaccurately.

A company like Biltwell isn't going to have the level of control over their chinese mfg process like a company like Apple does.

- Adam

Get Adobe Flash player

So lets say for the sake of argument that there was one available that was all machined aluminum, worked and fit very well, and american made. What do you think would be a price that people would be willing to pay?

Get Adobe Flash player

Fuck man, people are buying the biltwell all day long for $100. I don't think you could go much higher than that without sales dropping off considerably. Spending $150 on your fancy throttle seems silly when the $20 ebay throttle works almost as well. Save some money by going with a plastic sleeve. Like farmall said, there's no benefit to aluminum. In fact, the aluminum might be introducing problems.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've run S&S throttle housing for a while and never any issues. And they are hardly more than 50 bucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

1) The problems with the biltwell throttle have to do with the cast housing, not the CNC sleeve. It is CAST, not CNC. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that casting is inherently less accurate, and that it's pretty easy to introduce differences in tolerances when re-creating the original mold (or whatever you call the thing you're pouring the molten metal into).
    At that markup they can have it finish machined and not have problems. Fuck excuses, I buy all sorts of parts and fittings from China which are made properly.

If the constantly cloned Emgo throttles can be good to go (they are cast) so can any others, and more markup leaves plenty of room for finish machining small castings.

Casting is NOT inherently vastly less accurate than machining with respect to throttle housings and manual machine tools can hit the same level of accuracy on those parts as CNC though a bit slower. (For some operations a manual machine like a chucker lathe can beat CNC speeds!)

HD and nearly every other motorcycle maker has been casting their hand controls longer than most bikers today (even the old fuckers) have been alive!

ChiCom and other Asian scooters have cast throttle housings.

The job is very simple small shop work. There is no excuse for fucked up parts. There is no excuse for not inspecting each lot of parts. A hunk of handlebar or turned bar stock would do for a go-no go tool.

Get Adobe Flash player

At that markup they can have it finish machined and not have problems. Fuck excuses, I buy all sorts of parts and fittings from China which are made properly.

If the constantly cloned Emgo throttles can be good to go (they are cast) so can any others, and more markup leaves plenty of room for finish machining small castings.

Casting is NOT inherently vastly less accurate than machining with respect to throttle housings and manual machine tools can hit the same level of accuracy on those parts as CNC though a bit slower. (For some operations a manual machine like a chucker lathe can beat CNC speeds!)

HD and nearly every other motorcycle maker has been casting their hand controls longer than most bikers today (even the old fuckers) have been alive!

The job is very simple small shop work. There is no excuse for fucked up parts. There is no excuse for not inspecting each lot of parts. A hunk of handlebar or turned bar stock would do for a go-no go tool.
    Some time ago I asked a question about this very problem in regards to tedds junk. Someone in the business replied it's cheaper to replace junk parts than it is to inspect them. And as we all know it hasn't stopped people from buyin the crap. They hope they'll be the one that gets the good one. The chinese or any of the low buck producers will make what you want. Good or bad. But once greed steps in all bets are off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Rant much, Grampy?

Share This