Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIABOLUS
    • Sep 2013

One Cylinder Conversion?

Ran across pics of Jesse Rooke's Slotard build the other day, and the setup reminded me of the Duas Caras single cylinder Knucklehead build.

What kind of mods go into making a setup like this work?

Besides the obvious removal and capping off of the rear cylinder bank, the rear pushrods and connecting rod/piston need to go. You'd need a custom primary setup because of the relocated transmission. I would also imagine the carb needs to be re-jetted since it's only feeding one cylinder. What about electrical mods? The coil only needs to fire one spark plug, but what about battery needs? How about the starter since it's only compressing one cylinder on starting?

This setup looks hella complicated, but I can see a lot of possibilities of doing a short-wheelbase build around something like this. Like an overgrown Buell Blast. Thoughts?
  • panheadpete
    • Oct 2011

How is the bottom end balanced on these?

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DIABOLUS
      What kind of mods go into making a setup like this work?

Besides the obvious removal and capping off of the rear cylinder bank, the rear pushrods and connecting rod/piston need to go. You'd need a custom primary setup because of the relocated transmission. I would also imagine the carb needs to be re-jetted since it's only feeding one cylinder. What about electrical mods? The coil only needs to fire one spark plug, but what about battery needs? How about the starter since it's only compressing one cylinder on starting?
      Not much needs to be done, Really, Think about it......... What happens when you foul one plug???? It will still run just not good because you have a dead cylinder robbing power......... Take that out and it's just like a sprint.........

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

There is good reason old time mosickle manufacturers offered v-twins and singles.

What's old is new again.

See also "Buell Blast".

Comment

• bobscogin
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by panheadpete
          "Standard Operating Procedure". Decide what ratio of reciprocating to rotating weight you want and whittle away at the flywheels.

Bob

Comment

• DIABOLUS
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by panheadpete
            That's a good one, I completely forgot about re-balancing the flywheel.

Originally posted by farmall
            There is good reason old time mosickle manufacturers offered v-twins and singles.

What's old is new again.

See also "Buell Blast".
            Yeah I was toying with the idea of building something around a Buell Blast, but with the transmission being integrated into the engine case like the Sportster I wouldn't be able to shorten the drivetrain package as much as I'd like. And the Blast is only 492cc where half of an Evo would put me at 670cc. It would definitely be a more complicated way of going about it but I also like the exotic look of the setup and the packaging challenges (problem-solving) it would pose.

Comment

• docmel
              • May 2015

While I can certianly appreciate the engineering and custom work, (not just the engine set up, but the entire build as a whole), I hate to see another knuck turn into a somewhat impractical rider. Just my HO

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by docmel
                While I can certianly appreciate the engineering and custom work, (not just the engine set up, but the entire build as a whole), I hate to see another knuck turn into a somewhat impractical rider. Just my HO

I totally agree.......... But it is a nice looking CUSTOM,,,,,,,, Bike

Comment

• billybiltit
                  • Aug 2009

roger goldammer seems to be a singles fan as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	goldammersingle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1292219

Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1292223

Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1292220

Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1292221

Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1292222

leon

Comment

• DIABOLUS
                    • Sep 2013

Very cool builds. Interesting front engine mount and blower setup on that Nortorious build.

Comment

• Twigg92
                      • Jul 2013

Why not just get a Suzuki Savage and Call it a day?

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Why not just get a Suzuki Savage and Call it a day?
                        Because creating anti-functional, impractical folk art show bikes is what chopping is all about. I wouldn't waste a good big twin engine on it but hacking up a damaged engine or building from leftovers when you are bored.is different.

OP could saw the transmission off a Sportster or find an Ironhead with a busted trans casting for a nice vintage single look. Stroker wheels etc are easy to do and you'd be modding the rod kit anyway. Buy Ironhead, slay and part it out, keep neck for title. Late tube-neck Ironheads make nice "titled neck" donors and don't sell for much because they lack classic looks. Used big twin transmissions are plentiful. Throw a cheap used cowpie trans in it since it's for show and they work OK if in decent shape. That gets you a kicker.

I'd build with low static compression because singles eat knees worse than twins. There's at least one Sporty mill with a single Shovelhead top end out there but I can't be arsed to look for it.
                        Last edited by farmall; 11-20-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• AlleyOop
                          • Oct 2014

I saw a home made single cyl. about 10 years ago at a local car show. Shovelhead if I remember correctly. Thing was beyond cool.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;