CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Single Down Tube / Motor Shop Frame for Big Twin

Any recommendations? Thank you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Was just thinking the same - their work looks great!

If you are thinking of using Freddy instead do your research!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by panheadpete View Post

If you are thinking of using Freddy instead do your research!!!
    I read the horror stories.. damn. Thanks for the info.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mullins Chain Drive makes a nice one

Get Adobe Flash player

Might see what John Grant has ..... ???

.../// http://hardtailchoppers.com/index.html \\\...

He'll custom make one to your specks....

Get Adobe Flash player

Mullins chain drive!

A lot of them have rear axle plates that always looked funky to me whereas the one Dragstews just posted looks really nice

Get Adobe Flash player

A lot of them have rear axle plates that always looked funky to me whereas the one Dragstews just posted looks really nice
    I think those may be OEM Softail axle plates.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Think John does his own castings ...

Looks like something you would find in a box of Biker Cracker Jacks..!!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 08-07-2016 at 9:07 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a one of the DC Choppers frames (made by Chassis Design) which is based on the old FrameUp design from the 70's. I've been at this custom bike building stuff in and out for over 10 years, dealt with a lot of different frames from OEM HD, WCC, Paughco, VTWIN, Carolina Customs, Redneck, etc...

This frame is hands down, the WORST frame I've ever laid a finger on. The bends are inconsistent from side to side. The transmission plate is welded in place (God knows why??) and isn't even flat (has an uneven surface). The transmission and motor mounts are out of level with each other (and even the front/rear motor mounts in relation to each other). The transmission 5th mount is too short (must be some miscalculation due to the welded in tranny plate). The joints at the axle plates and neck are inconsistent and are the product of poor fit up. The neck is bored a few thousands over spec resulting in the neck cups being able to be inserted and removed by hand (not an issue with the cups, checked alternate frames and neck cups).

So yeah... looks great until you start working on one. If I hadn't bought this thing for $500 below retail from someone on Chopperswapper, I would have sent this thing right back to Chassis Design. I can work through all the issues and annoyances by fixing some of it and shimming the rest, as well as, knurling the neck cups but I just wanted to provide my experience with their "quality". Even Taiwan Teddy's VTWIN frames are straighter than this thing. Buyer beware.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 08-07-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomthump View Post
    I have a one of the DC Choppers frames (made by Chassis Design) which is based on the old FrameUp design from the 70's. I've been at this custom bike building stuff in and out for over 10 years, dealt with a lot of different frames from OEM HD, WCC, Paughco, VTWIN, Carolina Customs, Redneck, etc...

This frame is hands down, the WORST frame I've ever laid a finger on. The bends are inconsistent from side to side. The transmission plate is welded in place (God knows why??) and isn't even flat (has an uneven surface). The transmission and motor mounts are out of level with each other (and even the front/rear motor mounts in relation to each other). The transmission 5th mount is too short (must be some miscalculation due to the welded in tranny plate). The joints at the axle plates and neck are inconsistent and are the product of poor fit up. The neck is bored a few thousands over spec resulting in the neck cups being able to be inserted and removed by hand (not an issue with the cups, checked alternate frames and neck cups).

So yeah... looks great until you start working on one. If I hadn't bought this thing for $500 below retail from someone on Chopperswapper, I would have sent this thing right back to Chassis Design. I can work through all the issues and annoyances by fixing some of it and shimming the rest, as well as, knurling the neck cups but I just wanted to provide my experience with their "quality". Even Taiwan Teddy's VTWIN frames are straighter than this thing. Buyer beware.

Thanks for the info. I was actually looking through the frames thinking they must be pretty high quality if so many reputable builders have them build signature frames. To bad.

Get Adobe Flash player

Another vote here for the Mullins Chain Drive frames. The only drawback for me is that they don't have the curved centrepost of the Motorshop frames. The transmission area is a bit beefier though.

I have one of the Motorshop frame replicas that were sold by Chopper Dave a few years back (not made by him). It looked nice, but was also totally out of whack at all the major mounting points. The axle plates were welded in crooked, motor & trans mounts angled wrong, engine hit backbone etc. Needed a fair bit of work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post
    Another vote here for the Mullins Chain Drive frames. The only drawback for me is that they don't have the curved centrepost of the Motorshop frames. The transmission area is a bit beefier though.

I have one of the Motorshop frame replicas that were sold by Chopper Dave a few years back (not made by him). It looked nice, but was also totally out of whack at all the major mounting points. The axle plates were welded in crooked, motor & trans mounts angled wrong, engine hit backbone etc. Needed a fair bit of work.

MCD all the way. I have frame #17, and it's getting a pan. I also had a Chopper Dave motorshop replica frame. He confirmed that he did in-fact make my frame himself. Putting the Chopper Dave and MCD frames side by side for comparison, the MCD frame was hands down the clear winner for the quality. It was straight and tig welded. The other frame not so much. I had the Chopper Dave frame for only a few weeks and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wouldnt buy a frame from hardtail choppers, unless you call and speak with John personally and he guarantees you that he uses DOM tubing. I used a Nash Sancho frame, which is fabbed by HTC. After awhile I got tired of the geometry of the frame and hacked the ass end up to get rid of the drop seat area and the steel was typical ERW. being that I paid 1500$ for a rigid chopper frame that is going to support my ass hurdling down the pavement at excessive speeds I expected them to use quality DOM tubing. When my frame shits the bed and I hack it up completely to see what steel was used throughout the frame I will be letting all parties involved in the manufacturing/sales of said frame hear about it.
    Last edited by Bo; 08-18-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a single loop frame very similar to the ones chopper dave was peddling
    awhile back. I had it custom built several years ago by a guy in the san
    fernando valley. Not sure when I will finish the bike, as I have been way busy
    with other shit, But at some point I want to fab a kick stand for it, & I have not
    seen any bikes with this style frame that sports a kick stand! Obviously It is
    more of a challenge with the frame tube at the center line of the bike, which rules
    out any standard style stand.

The dude that built mine did a nice job on the bends, but He did not use TIG, He stick
    welded it, so it's not a slick as the MCD frames, But I do love the single curved tube
    extending behind the motor.

Get Adobe Flash player

Factory Metal Works make a short kickstand and mount that works well with these frames. I used one on mine:

https://www.thefactorymetalworks.com...er-motorcycles

Get Adobe Flash player

The Mullins frames are now made by Smith Process. Still look pretty good, $1800:

Get Adobe Flash player

This one that Arie Vee just finished looks the shit, too. Beefing up all the weak points on the original design.

Share This