Honda Shadow VLX Steering / bearing issue..

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVoyager
    • Jun 2014

Honda Shadow VLX Steering / bearing issue..

I guess this question could apply for any bike steering column.

Rebuilding my bike now, first time I have put the bearings in since I striped it... done it all correct but when tightening up the bearing cover it was just way to stiff and would not turn.. After much examination I seen on a diagram I was missing a dust seal.. which goes in between 'upper bearing inner race' and the 'bearing adjustment nut'.

Would this cause the whole bearing housing to become stiff without the dust seal?

I can not find it and another one is needed.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TheVoyager
    I guess this question could apply for any bike steering column.

Rebuilding my bike now, first time I have put the bearings in since I striped it... done it all correct but when tightening up the bearing cover it was just way to stiff and would not turn.. After much examination I seen on a diagram I was missing a dust seal.. which goes in between 'upper bearing inner race' and the 'bearing adjustment nut'.

Would this cause the whole bearing housing to become stiff without the dust seal?

I can not find it and another one is needed.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

How tight did you tighten the neck bearings? Did you torque them???

Comment

• TheVoyager
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
      How tight did you tighten the neck bearings? Did you torque them???
      We didn't torque no, figured as it was only a dry build we didn't need to. There was definitely something wrong??

The locking mechanism didn't see to work, we put it at a comfortable position where it could turn freely but it would kind of un screw itself, it's something so simple it must be?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;