Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aceof84
    • Nov 2014

Hey Cool, my bike glows at night!

But of course its not so cool. Its a big bummer, was out last night enjoying a nice florida evening ride. However on the way home i was on the freeway and I noticed a faint reddish orange glow coming from the bike. I lean over and look, the rear exhaust pipe is glowing quite nicely. So I got off the freeway soon as i could and limped home.

So the bike is a 97' XL1200, This seems to be a new thing because it did not do this the last time i rode it at night which was on Wednesday. I have checked for intake leaks around the carb and manifold. Checked to make sure the ignition module wasn't damaged, VOES i guess is working since the module is getting a signal from it. I did pull the spark plugs and i think the bike might be running to rich due to their condition. I running a 180 main and a 48 slow jet. I'm not really sure where to go next. Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna attached a link with some photos so people will have a frame of reference. FYI the plug photo left is front cylinder and the right is the rear.

• farmall
    • Apr 2013

Perform a compression test. Always begin troubleshooting with a compression check (leakdown test is even better( so you know engine condition.

Rich mixtures run cool. LEAN mixtures run hot. Plugs look acceptable (most engines don't run perfecly) but next time take pics that look like these: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...7&d=1341312352
    Plugs don't look lean so I doubt it's the carb settings.

A thin, single wall exhaust pipe with a restrictive bend in it can get warm at the bend but glowing is a bit much.

Don't trust leak checks. 1997 was a LONG time ago. I'd install new intake seals.

That's the usual way I "check" for intake seal leaks on any model Harley. Seals are cheap. James Gasket make nice ones.
    Last edited by farmall; 08-01-2016, 9:09 AM.

Comment

• woz
      • Mar 2012

Well I would think it could be a rich condition, and unburnt fuel being burned in the pipe, causing it to glow. if it was happening at cruising speed the main jet shouldn't really have any effect, could try going down in the slow jet to a 46? I seem to recall running a 180 and 46 in my 1200 that had straight pipes and aftermarket air cleaner. Also check spark plug gap?
      Last edited by TridentCycleSupply; 08-01-2016, 9:03 AM.

Comment

• triumphbruce
        • Jun 2014

check push rod's

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Do both spark plugs read the same?
          Stock dual fire ignition? Pickup all melted?
          Good advice above
          It's probably an intake leak or ignition.

Comment

• Aceof84
            • Nov 2014

Heys guys, Thanks for the suggestions. Ill start with a compression test, ill search the board and the net for a good write up. I have never had to do one before. I think the carb is fine since it seems to be a sudden issue, Spark plugs I gapped em before i put them in. They are maybe 6 months old.

Sky- its a daytona twin tec ign. but a standard dual fire setup. Not sure what you mean by pick up, do you mean the senors on the ign. module in the nose cone? If so I pulled it and the sensors and unit look good.

Bruce- When checking the push rods what should I be looking for? Broken is all that comes to mind, but maybe to much play? I had read that it could be a stuck exhaust valve.

Comment

• Aceof84
              • Nov 2014

Any recommendations on a good compression tester?

Comment

• triumphbruce
                • Jun 2014

too tight would leave the valve hanging open or shit stuck to valve seat
                how was it running or sounding normal, down on power,poping out exz

Comment

• panheadpete
                  • Oct 2011

Have you recently changed the air filter to a much better flowing one? Just wondering if its running super lean?

Comment

• bohica2xo
                    • Jan 2015

The plug on the right is the Rear Cylinder?

Comment

• Aceof84
                      • Nov 2014

Power was fine, no popping out of the exhaust at all. When it was glowing it felt like it was running a little be rougher than usual. But couldnt be sure if i was up in my head.

Comment

• Aceof84
                        • Nov 2014

Bohica - Ya right plug is from the rear cylindar.

Comment

• Aceof84
                          • Nov 2014

Pete- Ya the air filter is new but it was been on there for more than a month. Like I said Plugs don't read like its running lean.

To make things more confusing I took it out last night to see If i could duplicate the issue. I ran it for 25 mins through some roads close by and on the US1 freeway at around 60 to 70 mph. It would not glow like last time. I thought there might be a super faint glow to it but i couldn't be certain and it was pitch black out. Only thing I changed was I have the nose cone cover off to make sure the VOES wasn't cutting out or something like that. Sounded fine, ran fine.

I have a compression tester on the way as well as new intake seals per Farmall suggestion.

Comment

• slinginrods
                            • Dec 2014

that rear plug looks rich, that will make it glow at high speeds like on the freeway.

Comment

• Aceof84
                              • Nov 2014

I could ways go down a size on the slow jet. Still seems odd that it just started doing it now. I've been running these jets for months. Its worth a shot though.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;