Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inkjunkie
    • Jul 2016

What dash fits this style tank?

Stupid question...but the Harley lingo has got me spun around..http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200783

Will be building a bike using Kraft Tech K19204 frame. Has mounts for flat side tanks. Have never been a fan of the speedo in the tank look but the Autometer speedo I have on my chopper is a pile-o-crap.

Excuse my ignorance here folks...new to the "American" bike world...so please be gentle lol...

Thanks in advance for your assistance in my education...

By any chance is there a post on here somewhere that explains all the different jargon?
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Inkjunkie
    Stupid question...but the Harley lingo has got me spun around..http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200783

Will be building a bike using Kraft Tech K19204 frame. Has mounts for flat side tanks. Have never been a fan of the speedo in the tank look but the Autometer speedo I have on my chopper is a pile-o-crap.

Excuse my ignorance here folks...new to the "American" bike world...so please be gentle lol...

Thanks in advance for your assistance in my education...

By any chance is there a post on here somewhere that explains all the different jargon?

Yes, those are flatside (I beleive '84-later) fat bob tanks. You dont have much of an option as far as dash/speedo combos go if you dont like them. Only real other choice is to cover the entire center section with a wide pice of tooled leather, or they make chrome flat covers that will cover up the entire center section

Comment

• panheadpete
      • Oct 2011

Just have a look at shovel tanks (online or in person) and you'll see why those tanks you posted are called flatside

Numerous aftermarket sizes available including ones with extended tips which were all the rage about 15 years ago and look like ass today - if you plan to really ride the bike any sort of distances I like the 5 gallons

If you really want a dash which on split tanks is looks the go pretty much any evo softail one will fit - later bikes have a one piece tank and most likely different panels (TBC by others)

Noting that you are "new" to American bikes and have a kraftech frame are you across how you will get it titled once completed? If you are just at the frame stage a titled OEM HD frame is a very good way to go
      Last edited by panheadpete; 07-24-2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Inkjunkie
        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by panheadpete
        Just have a look at shovel tanks (online or in person) and you'll see why those tanks you posted are called flatside

Numerous aftermarket sizes available including ones with extended tips which were all the rage about 15 years ago and look like ass today - if you plan to really ride the bike any sort of distances I like the 5 gallons

If you really want a dash which on split tanks is looks the go pretty much any evo softail one will fit - later bikes have a one piece tank and most likely different panels (TBC by others)

Noting that you are "new" to American bikes and have a kraftech frame are you across how you will get it titled once completed? If you are just at the frame stage a titled OEM HD frame is a very good way to go
        All my junk is titled under my MT LLC. Frame has a VIN on it, have the MCO to go with it. Chick at MT DMV told me that the MCO is the same as a title, as far as they are concerned. Before I get to far with this I will be making the trip to Whitefish MT to get it registered...just so it is done....not that I don't trust what I was told but....

Comment

• inkjunkie66
          • Apr 2024

I am the original poster of this thread...had to create a new account. The frame has a VIN on it. Kraft Tech sent me the MCO (think that is what it is called) to the frame. I called MT DMV, they told me that is all that I will need to get it title and registration for it. My buddy wants my chopper, I very well may just ride it with the plate off the chopper.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
            • Apr 2024

You can retro fit the early, clean looking dash from the panheads / shovelheads or the cats-eye dash from the knuckle. You just need to do a little modifying of the base plate. I put a rear wheel driven vintage speedo and pan style dash on mine and I run flatside tanks.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Totally agree with Pete on the joys of a bigger tank.

I had 5 gallon bobs on my '55 pan and LOVED the distance between fill-ups, however they most definitely look wide on a chop. I am running a 2.3 gallon sporty tank on my '55 ( along with a quart emergency bottle on the saddle bag ), and while I love the look, seems I am riding from gas station to gas station.

Function over form, or form over function, THAT is the question~!

Comment

• Hatchet54
                • Sep 2012

Or in my case, thinking tiny tanks look like ass and enjoying both the distance AND aesthetic of fat tanks

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;