Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EricWoodward
    • Oct 2010

1979 Honda CB400T II Hawk Scrambler: Woodward Designs

The bike as it sits now, with a new black headlight bucket with mesh guard, new black superbike bars, oxblood Biltwell grips, a borrowed garage sale seat, and small gp style hand controls from Dime City Cycles. Fork lowers to be painted black, fork gaiters are bunched up on the front tire waiting to be installed, and the headers are at an exhaust shop getting 14" straight pipe extensions w/ 13" baffles that will feed into two Emgo shorty mufflers:

The bike after the motor swap:

The bike last year on the tail of the dragon:

A little backstory: my brother and I have had several projects over the years, and the current CB400 I'm working with is a bastardized conglomerate consisting of a 1980 Hawk electric-start-only engine and various bits attached to a 1979 frame/tank/forks/wheels that was originally bought as a spare parts bike we wanted the kick/electric motor from.

We've also worked with a couple Kawasaki KZ550s over the years. Here's some random pics:

• EricWoodward
    • Oct 2010

As it sat last week:

And yesterday, after getting a bit more work done.

Got the throttle tube trimmed down, master cylinder installed (needs replacing with something smaller though), found the correct diameter clutch lever adjustment collar, and slipped the baffles in the pipe extensions, drilled mounting holes, and mocked everything up before finalizing fit/wrapping the pipes later today.

Comment

• EricWoodward
      • Oct 2010

Also, to deal with the Hawk's ugly stamped frame I took a bunch of measurements and then bought a seat off of a newer Hinckley Triumph - this should fit well and cover some of the frame.

I'm going to try and modify the bike to fit the seat rather than the other way around, then any triumph seat should bolt on.

Here's the one headed my way courtesy of eBay:

Also ordering this master cylinder, because mines in poor shape:

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
        • Jul 2013

Sweet scoot

Comment

• EricWoodward
          • Oct 2010

Thanks man got some more done today - cut down the wiring harness a bit, blew a few fuses, mounted this temporary seat to be able to ride this week, wired the taillight, mounted the plate, etc.:

Comment

• EricWoodward
            • Oct 2010

My Triumph Bonneville T-100 seat came earlier than expected, so here's how it fits the profile of the CB400T with no modifications (just sitting on the frame rails):

Next step is to investigate mounting the seat by only modding the bike. (I'd like any Bonneville seat to essentially bolt right on).

Comment

• diogotavrs
              • May 2018

Hey mate !!
              Spectacular bike!
              I've got a 1980 cb400n and I'm trying to find a nice seat for it.. How did the triumph seat work out in the bike?
              What seat were you using right before the triumph one arrived?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;