Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leftymike
    • Jun 2011

Clutch issue- need help!

So after almost 2 years I finally got my sporty chop complete. Took it off the lift fired it up to go for a ride and as soon as I shifted into 1st gear it lunges forward and stalls- even with the clutch in. I was able to get it going by rollin down the driveway then dropping it into first but can't shift from 1st to 2nd and if I stop it stalls, again, with the clutch in. It seems like something may be bound up but I'm not sure how to correct it- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Btw it's a '93
  • Keeleyvision
    • Aug 2015

sounds like the clutch ramp isn't engaging, the tangs are broken off the primary, the diaphragm is bad, if it has a center riveted plate it's gone bad, or your clutch isn't adjusted properly. it could be one or multiples of those things.

Comment

• Keeleyvision
      • Aug 2015

1: is there oil in the primary?
      2: is the clutch adjusted per the manual (cable completely slacked, adjuster screw lightly seated then backed off a 1/4 turn, then cable slack taken up until there is 1/8th draw on the cable seat at the handlebar)?

if so then move on to the derby cover

3: is the clutch ramp in one piece and functioning?
      4: are the tangs that located the clutch ramp still on the primary?

if so then pull the primary cover
      5: how does the diaphragm spring look, is it damaged, is it seated the way it is in the manual?
      6: how does the throwout bearing look? does it have a ton of play?
      if all looks good then go on youtube and search for a DIY clutch compressor out of PVC (it's there)
      build it and take your clutch pack apart per the manual
      7: did the diaphragm compress normally?
      8ull all the plates and inspect, if you have the riveted center plate get ride of it and replace it with 2 steels and a friction disc.

Comment

• leftymike
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Keeleyvision
        sounds like the clutch ramp isn't engaging, the tangs are broken off the primary, the diaphragm is bad, if it has a center riveted plate it's gone bad, or your clutch isn't adjusted properly. it could be one or multiples of those things.
        Thanks for the response. I guess I'm have a hard time believing any of those components busted or just went bad. The bike ran perfect until the day I began the build, then the motor just sat in a stand for over a year.

Comment

• leftymike
          • Jun 2011

1: is there oil in the primary?
          2: is the clutch adjusted per the manual (cable completely slacked, adjuster screw lightly seated then backed off a 1/4 turn, then cable slack taken up until there is 1/8th draw on the cable seat at the handlebar)?

if so then move on to the derby cover

3: is the clutch ramp in one piece and functioning?
          4: are the tangs that located the clutch ramp still on the primary?

if so then pull the primary cover
          5: how does the diaphragm spring look, is it damaged, is it seated the way it is in the manual?
          6: how does the throwout bearing look? does it have a ton of play?
          if all looks good then go on youtube and search for a DIY clutch compressor out of PVC (it's there)
          build it and take your clutch pack apart per the manual
          7: did the diaphragm compress normally?
          8ull all the plates and inspect, if you have the riveted center plate get ride of it and replace it with 2 steels and a friction disc.
          Just saw this reply- thanks again. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the primary cover off and dig in!

Comment

• Keeleyvision
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by leftymike
            Thanks for the response. I guess I'm have a hard time believing any of those components busted or just went bad. The bike ran perfect until the day I began the build, then the motor just sat in a stand for over a year.
            so it sat for a year with fluid sitting on the bottom half of the clutch and not the top? you might just need to pull the plates and soak them for a few hours. maybe they're rusted? it's impossible to say untill you start running down the check list.

Comment

• Keeleyvision
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by leftymike
              Just saw this reply- thanks again. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the primary cover off and dig in!
              I just saw that I managed to put a smilie in there on accident, nice

Comment

• leftymike
                • Jun 2011

I just saw that I managed to put a smilie in there on accident, nice
                Thanks- I'll take anything positive I can get to keep from burying a hammer into this thing, lol!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1291781
                Threw a pic in there so you can see the offender.

Comment

• Keeleyvision
                  • Aug 2015

Nice bike! you will figure it out.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

It sounds like the clutches are stuck to me.............. From sitting so long............ That's common.........

Damn nice looking bike by the way..........
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 07-04-2016, 7:41 PM.

Comment

• cggorman
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      It sounds like the clutches are stuck to me.............. From sitting so long............ That's common.........

Damn nice looking bike by the way..........
                      I was thinking the same.

Comment

• DustyDave
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

My old Sporty did that every spring. I tore it down the first time every spring after that first one I push started it in 2nd gear and rode around with the lever pulled until it broke loose. Didn't seem to hurt anything.
                        Dusty
                        Driving that train, high on cocaine
                        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• leftymike
                          • Jun 2011

Thanks for all the replies, still haven't sorted the issue out yet. I put the bike back on the build table to install a front brake, decided one was in order after riding it around the block a few times without one. Should take it down this week and start troubleshooting- I'll keep you posted

Comment

• Sky
                            • Aug 2009

KV is correct in pointing out common issues. hopefully it's not as bad as any if that.
                            Start with the easy fixes.
                            You can usually break stuck plates loose by simply popping the clutch in first gear while running.

Without a front break, put her against the wall, like your doing a burnout.

There is a crossover breather between the crankcase and the primary case.
                            Bike sits, engine oil sumps, fills/contaminates primary, plates stick.
                            Change her oil, if more than a quart comes out the primary (and it's black) you know what's up.

Comment

• DustyDave
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

If ya don't wanta ride around with the clutch pulled in till it breaks loose. Get the rear wheel in the air start it in gear and jerk the throttle around with the clutch lever pulled. It usually took until the primary was hot before mine came loose.
                              Dusty
                              Driving that train, high on cocaine
                              Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                              Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                              And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;