Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpope85
    • Jun 2016

'83 KZ440LTD jet question

I'm working on a 83' 440LTD. I'm going to be removing the mufflers and adding clamp on air filters to each carb. I'm getting ready to tear the carbs apart to clean, etc. Should I replace the jets with factory? Or go bigger? Thx
  • CarloFreeze
    • Jun 2013

No need to replace the original jets if they're clean. You'll definitely be tuning though.

Comment

• Matilda
      • Jul 2016

You will need to re-jet. Those Kehien carbs do not like pods and straight pipes. Of course this all depends on what your happy with. If you don't tune it and just lop off the mufflers and put on pods it will pop and back fire and bog at certain throttle positions. Jets for those carbs are expensive and not the most easy to find. There is a ton of info about this on another forum. The biggest problem is that was a tuned air box on that bike and cross winds through various speeds affected pods a large amount. Also that 440 really likes some back pressure. What kind of riding do you do with it. And what do expect in performance? As far as sound on the pipes with no mufflers don't expect a deep throaty sound pass idle. My wife said mine sounded like a weed eater on steroids with straight pipes lol! I have since changed and built some bombs for my pipes

Comment

• Jpope85
        • Jun 2016

As far as what I plan to do with it, is just really cruise around town, not really looking for high performance or speed. I guess I'm probably just going to give it a nice cleaning and see what I can do with just tuning for now since the replacement jets are hard to find.

Comment

• Matilda
          • Jul 2016

That's why I asked. Mine did better at high rpm but was sluggish from 1/4-3/4 throttle. Mine sucked for around town. I ditched both, got a 2-1 intake and the vm34. I love the throttle response. Night and day difference

Comment

• Jpope85
            • Jun 2016

Now I had never really thought about doing that, I like that idea. This is my first build so most of this is new to me.

Comment

• Matilda
              • Jul 2016

I absolutely love my setup. There's a reason they always used those round slide dirt bike carbs. The only way I would go different would be EFI with a turbo. (Which I plan on doing if $$ allows) I can give you all the details on my setup if you wanna price it all. I have under $200 in the whole setup. I have pics as well

Comment

• Jpope85
                • Jun 2016

If you have details and pics available that would be awesome! I could def do the 200$ for the setup. Thanks

Comment

• Matilda
                  • Jul 2016

I used the 2-1 intake from 11th hour industries and bought a new vm34 mikuni from Amazon. A pod filter from Amazon and a handful of jets. 11th hour had a sale on the intake. Got it for half price. Where you will run into issues is the throttle cable. Depending on your mechanical ability. I made/modified the original to fit. Otherwise a good bike shop can make you one. You will also need a different petcock or plug the vacuum port on the original. The only downside it has is the mikuni likes fuel a lil more than the dual kehiens. Although it might be because of the way I ride lol

Comment

• Jpope85
                    • Jun 2016

looks like they are out of stock right now, so im going to try and see what i can do with the stock carbs. I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;