Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdustin
    • Sep 2014

Vt500 ascot questions

So I picked up my next project. It's a 1984 vt500ft ascot. I plan to rewire it. The P.O. has it a total mess. I also would like to clean up the bars. My current question is what are my options for moving the handle bar choke. I have seen individual chokes that thread stright into the carb, is this something that I could make work. I understand if have two choke knobs one for each carb. Or could I take the choke cable and knob from something like a vlx/vt600 so I could just have one knob. Also if anyone has a chopped wiring diagram that's be great. I have the factory diagram and I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks. Also pics to follow
  • Hotel
    • Jun 2014

Ill have to find the wiring diagram i made for my 83. When i do ill post it.

Comment

• sdustin
      • Sep 2014

Thanks. I've found a few diagrams. I've got the factory one. And one made up in paint by another member. I'll make a build thread soon and if you find yours, you could post it in that thread.

I'm basically starting from scratch. The P.O. had the alternator wired to the Rectifier with wire nuts. Yeah so that's what I'm dealing with. I figure it will be easier to just make my whole loom than to shift through the factory harnnes that has who knows what modifications.

Comment

• Hotel
        • Jun 2014

Heres one i put togeather in paint too. Sloppy but its there

Comment

• sdustin
          • Sep 2014

I have a question about the factory wiring diagram. What do the yellow and blue tubes signify on the wires coming from the spark generator and the cdi boxes? Note blue is marked "L" and yellow "Y". Does this signify which coil for each cylinder?

Comment

• 3rdcoastthumper
            • Oct 2015

Yes, the blue will go to one coil and the yellow to the other. Mine is and 86 with one CDI but the colors should be the same. Each coil had one black and white wire and either the blue or yellow.

Comment

• sdustin
              • Sep 2014

So which coil goes to which cylinder?

Comment

• Hotel
                • Jun 2014

Honestly, i dont know. I guessed and decided if it didnt run right id swap them. Lucky guess! Nailed it.
                Worse case you have the wrong cylinder firing at the wrong time and it wont crank.

Comment

• sdustin
                  • Sep 2014

Ok I guess that's what I'll do. I'm going to make a new loom with new connectors so I want my to plan it right so I'll have a nice and pretty loom. I guess if it's during wrong I could just switch the two wires going into the coils. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I'll post up pics once I get to the wiring. I'm working on the rear frame hoop. The P.O. just cut the frame behind the shock mounts.

Comment

• Hotel
                    • Jun 2014

Just wired my vt500 again. I looked at my yellow and blue and said ahhh shit... The tape I used to label which to which has long since fell off. So like last time I just shoved them on random and she fired great.
                    Will be watching for an update

Comment

• sdustin
                      • Sep 2014

Well my ascot is apart and sitting in the garage. Awaiting cold weather. I just can't stay off my vt1100. I have to enjoy the warm weather while it's here. And I've got some matainance work that is needed in my vt1100. So the vt500 is just sitting on my garage taunting me each day I pull in with its half mocked up frame hoop. To fix the P.O. bob job. I'll post some pic later. To show his work.

Comment

• sdustin
                        • Sep 2014

What she looked like when I got her

Comment

• sdustin
                          • Sep 2014

My rear frame hoop in progress

Comment

• sdustin
                            • Sep 2014

I plan to make this a number plate style headlight. I'm going to get small white leds and mount them on the right side. It won't be real bright but just enough to be legal for day use. Lol. It's just going to be a "play" bike. I love very close to some great north Georgia roads so I should be ok to take small trips and still be legal. There's no law for how bright a headlight has to be

Comment

• sdustin
                              • Sep 2014

I'm planing to make the exhaust myself. Most likely I'm going to do away with the collector muffler bs that is factory. And make a dual exhaust. I also plan to get some dirt bike style handle bars. The P.O. put new shocks on the rear and well they are like 40mm taller than factory so on the side stand it nearly falls over. I'm thinking of keeping the longer shocks and maybe look into easing the front somehow and extending the side stand. I'll also do away with the center stand since when it's on it the rear tire is still touching the ground. but I really like the look of shocks with the external air resivor. Do I may look into some of those.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;