CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sportster upgrades

I got a 94 sporty 883 I'm wrenching on.. Came up on a hammer 1250 kit and new clutch pack, has any one ever done this build they can shed some light on? Any tips or what to expect? Thanks...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ant1h3ro View Post

I got a 94 sporty 883 I'm wrenching on.. Came up on a hammer 1250 kit
    Don't think you can use your 883 heads with that kit....

Call Dan and have a Pow-Wow .... (208) 696-1250

They do offer thunderstorm heads with a reworked chamber for 30* pistons on the quince instead of the Oem 15*
    Last edited by Dragstews; 06-11-2016 at 8:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ant1h3ro View Post
    I got a 94 sporty 883 I'm wrenching on.. Came up on a hammer 1250 kit and new clutch pack, has any one ever done this build they can shed some light on? Any tips or what to expect? Thanks...
    Well it's pretty much just a bore kit. I wouldn't expect anything significant over a SE. I have a 1250 kit with worked 883 heads and upgraded clutch pack. Call hammer and talk to them if you really want to do some work on it- dan knows his shit and is very helpful

The 883 heads are a little more restrictive than 1200 heads but that's not a bad thing. You'll get faster air flow down low compared to a stock 1200 engine. Coupled with the 883 gearing you'll accelerate faster. If you want more hp then you'll have to open them up. If you REALLY want more hp new heads will be the next step. All depends on how much power you want and how much money you got...
    Last edited by SlyJJ; 06-11-2016 at 8:23 PM.

I did a Hammer kit this winter. It rules. I would strongly suggest you have Hammer do your heads and do better cams at the same time. Even if you have to wait a little while to do it. Don't forget to get a new ignition while you're at it. Call or email Hammer. They'll be happy to help you and tell you what makes the most sense.
    Oh, and when you get your head work done, save yourself the later headache and buy the shorter pushrods they offer, too.
    As far as tips on installing it, Hammer has a great write up on their web site. While it was an NHRS kit as opposed to Hammer, there's a great stickied thread on the XL forum in the engine conversions section with the complete tear down and rebuild. Tons of pics. And don't forget your FSM.

i remember back in the day when everyone was dooin the 883 to 1200 upgrade. you can do the heads yurself. there was a old easy rider article on how to do it.with a die grinder and a ball cutter.and then check them for cc,s with a syringe and plexiglass.its crude but werks.

yu wont get full potentiol without changing cams.

Share This