CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The STD - Shovelhead rebuild

I picked this is up over the weekend. The seller had started the rebuild and did some good things. I plan on doing a few changes to make it my own. I'm going to rewire the whole thing, repair some welds and go with a jockey set-up. I need to sort out the rear brake, it's in rough shape.

I love the look of the springer/spool front end but I plan on replacing the wheel with this one.

I've been trying to do my own paint and have a few bikes to do for buddies. Now that it's warming up and the snow is melting everyone is getting anxious.

Get Adobe Flash player

that bike is fucking sweet, I wouldn't do shit to it cept what ya gunna do
    Ill take that spool front wheel from ya

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    that bike is fucking sweet, I wouldn't do shit to it cept what ya gunna do
    Ill take that spool front wheel from ya
    I have two buddies fighting over it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep the spool

Go drum out back

Keep it like it is, it's oh so cool

What frame is it?

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd love to run the spool but the cops are brutal out here and will impound your bike. I know the drum doesn't do anything but it's more to cover my ass.

I'm planning on running an 18" rear next season, I'll just run it as is this year. It's an original wishbone frame.

guitarromantic

man! this was my buddy nate's bike!
    bummer that he sold it, but nice to see it go to a good home.
    I remember when he bought this thing, the frame was completely molded front to back by the original owner. nice white pearl paint.
    Wide glide. Flanders bars. I actually have the mid star juice drum wheel from this bike that i'm using on my shovel (whenever i collect all the parts for her)

here's a picture of your bike a few years back the day my buddy picked it up

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by guitarromantic View Post
    man! this was my buddy nate's bike!
    bummer that he sold it, but nice to see it go to a good home.
    I remember when he bought this thing, the frame was completely molded front to back by the original owner. nice white pearl paint.
    Wide glide. Flanders bars. I actually have the mid star juice drum wheel from this bike that i'm using on my shovel (whenever i collect all the parts for her)

here's a picture of your bike a few years back the day my buddy picked it up
    Thanks for posting that pic man! Drove down from Ottawa over the weekend and picked it up off Nate. It's a great bike!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    I have two buddies fighting over it.
    need to make thing clear :
    1. we dont fight , its a no contest i won!
    2. you took my half spool and i have no great wheel
    3. you need a wide glide on it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by melendrius View Post
    need to make thing clear :
    1. we dont fight , its a no contest i won!
    2. you took my half spool and i have no great wheel
    3. you need a wide glide on it
    Agree on all points haha You do have have that star hub though
    Last edited by Heckler; 04-02-2015 at 9:22 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

give me that bike , yur going to poke your eye out sonny

Get Adobe Flash player

Finally got started on cleaning it up. A friend of mine has a small shop here in the city and he does some good work. You can check him out on Instagram @jebschoppershop. I dropped the bike off so he could redo the welds and sort out some issues. Found a few surprises and luckily they were found before hitting the road.

Snapped the welds on the bars moving it out of the garage.

The paint was starting to bubble at the front mount so I stripped it down. Found a nice amount of bondo and a nice big crack in the tank. We'll repair the tank over the summer but for now I'm going to run this Throttle Addiction tank.

After removing the tank Jeb noticed a little bit of play in tank mounts. It was held on by paint and bondo.

I think clearance might be an issue

Removed the inner primary and starter. It was nice surprise to find this belt set up when I opened the primary.

Should be sorted in about a week or so. Few more things to do.

Get Adobe Flash player

After going over the bike and repairing some of the fab work I finally got it on the road. It was running really rough. After a short ride I tuned the carb and checked the timing and everything seemed fine. Tried adjusting the clutch and noticed the studs were spinning freely. Luckily a good friend of mine (Lee who built Buster68's 53 Frisco Pan) had an extra assembly. Get the bike on the lift and get that sorted. It's still impossible to kick over and ran like shit. The motor has no compression!! Fuck it! Let's open it up. Unfortunately time is an issue so I get an amazing deal on a rebuilt motor Lee built for his bike a couple of years ago. Throw that in and it's good to go.

The next day I ride it home. The tranny locks up and I do a power slide, luckily the fkn chain snapped and I manage to stop. Lesson learned... check everything! Open up the transmission and it's the wrong shaft, the bearing back out.

Got a new transmission in and it's good to go. I'm going to clean it up and do some paint. Going with a wide glide front.

Get Adobe Flash player

after all those welds snapping and the look of the welds on the rear fender brace. I would check anything that might been welded by the PO they dont looks so good and it seems theyre failing. so would probably be a good idea to check it all. cool bike though good luck with getting everything sorted out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovelpan69 View Post
    after all those welds snapping and the look of the welds on the rear fender brace. I would check anything that might been welded by the PO they dont looks so good and it seems theyre failing. so would probably be a good idea to check it all. cool bike though good luck with getting everything sorted out.
    We've checked every single mount and weld on the bike. Any weld that wasn't from the factory was replaced.

Get Adobe Flash player

sweet good luck man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Update.

After never ending surprises I decided to strip it down and rebuild it proper. Sold the springer and spool and picked up a 4 over wide glide and star hub. I'm looking for a drum brake (I know they're garbage). Going to clean up the frame, new fender and juice brake. This bike has been a good learning experience for sure and I'm stoked to get it on the road.

Quick mock up

Stripped

Get Adobe Flash player

Not much progress at the moment I've been enjoying riding the sporty. Cleaned up the motor a bit.

Frame is going to get sandblasted. I started sanding parts of the frame that had a build up of body filler. I found some pretty serious cracks which makes me happy about my decision to start over with this thing.

I did a quick mock with a couple of front ends I had. The top is a 35mm and the lower is a Wide Gilde. After looking at it I've decided to go with the 35mm with some 4+ tubes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great update...I got a pan I am working on and now decided I am going to check everything over top to bottom

Get Adobe Flash player

It's been a while since I updated this.

After stripping the bike and getting it sandblasted I found multiple issues. Brought the frame to a local shop (Roquechop) to get them repaired. Phil did an awesome job.

Once the repairs were made I swapped out the 16" with disc set up for a 18" juice. Brought the bike to my friends shop (Jebscycleco) and he hooked me up with a rad set of mid controls and a new sissy bar.

Once everything was sorted. I tore it apart and started getting everything for paint. 2 solid rounds of primer and a lot of wet sanding.

Got my color and clear down today.

I have to let the clear cure a bit and wet sand it and polish then on to assembly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking nice!! What year frame is that?

Share This