CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Speedometer chopper question

Hello everyone I'm in the middle of my first hardtail build an I was just wondering what you guys have been doing for a speedometer pretty much all the pictures I've seen I can't see any speedos. I've heard of people just getting a mount for their phone an using a speedo app. I'm not against that I just wanna get some ideas. Thanks

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 02spprtychop View Post
    Hello everyone I'm in the middle of my first hardtail build an I was just wondering what you guys have been doing for a speedometer pretty much all the pictures I've seen I can't see any speedos. I've heard of people just getting a mount for their phone an using a speedo app. I'm not against that I just wanna get some ideas. Thanks

I don't see a good reason for a speedo....

Get Adobe Flash player

When I see a cop, I slow down. Speedo or not.

But yes, you can mount your phone.
    Some navigation apps have a speedo and speed limit notifications and speed trap warnings and traffic notifications etc. Handy tool if you have coverage and reception wherever you roam
    The Motorcycle catalogs sell speedos of all kinds. Mini, maxi, stocky. None of them cheap except the cable driven ones.
    Marine suppliers carry GPS speedos too, they are spendy and usually pretty big.
    Bicycle speedos have been discussed many times...

Get Adobe Flash player

I think a phone for a speedo is a VERY BAD idea...... Who has time to look at a phone..... Why not text also....
    Glancing at a speedo is different than looking at a phone.....
    Sky that wasn't directed at you.....

Ran for years without them

Just get a buddy to run along side you and get a feel for what gear and how much throttle is needed for the major speed limits where you ride

Lots of small ones available if you must have one - what bike is it and where is the speedo drive?

As mentioned search on bicylce speedos and leave your phone in the bottom of your bag for emergencies and just enjoy the ride

Get Adobe Flash player

tattoo is right. why a speedo?
    i'm not even gonna get into the whole "bobber" thing, but the same thing goes w/ choppers.
    less is more. as in clean is clean. sano baby.
    speedo? thats just another cable coming off the trans or front wheel. who needs that?
    tach? fuck that! if you dont know when to shift you shouldnt be on a bike.
    turn signals,gone. horn gone. front brake, gone...well, that parts up to you.
    i wont endorse a bike w/ no front brake for liability reasons, but i have owned one and i'm building one rite now..
    you dont see chops w/ speedos or any gauges or dummy lights for a reason.
    less is more.
    clean is king.

if you know yer machine and its gearing you'll have a close enough idea to how fast yer going..

yes ride w/ friends that have speedos and hang w/ them.
    when alone just putt along on a regular road or even slower thru a residentual neighborhood..
    if ya wanna show & tell yer pals that ya did the ton than do it. i've done it a bunch of times and it is a rush, but i dought i'll ever do it again....maybe.
    cafe & sport bikes are all about speed.
    choppers are all about being a good looking(artistic) smooth criuser.

fuck! i've been drinking and forgot what what my point was.

Get Adobe Flash player

No speedo here. The stock speedo on my bike was huge, and I hated it. Mine had warning lights in it for oil pressure and over-heating, but I took the speedo apart, removed the warning system, and mounted it inside my headlight bucket (with the warning lights sticking out).

Ride long enough and you'll get to know to a pretty accurate degree what your speed is (30 years myself).

I checked my state (California) vehicle code for required equipment on a motorcycle, and speedos aren't required here. I try to adhere to the vehicle code to deny cops any excuse to issue me another violation should I ever get stopped.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not a fan of speedos, can't stand the chafing

Get Adobe Flash player

You know I was thinking last night.... Damn that hurt....... Anyway hell I have two bikes and just sold one that had/have stock speedos on them and I don't have a cable in the housing.......

Like I said...........Why do you need a speedo?????

Get Adobe Flash player

Speedo's are nice to have. Here's a little guy that will work on your '02 sporty:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/mini-p...lack-face.html

Don't listen to the crowd. Be original, build your own bike. Come up with a clever way to mount it, it can look good, and your bike will be as functional as you want it to be.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by OakBehringer View Post
    Speedo's are nice to have. Here's a little guy that will work on your '02 sporty:

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/mini-p...lack-face.html

Don't listen to the crowd. Be original, build your own bike. Come up with a clever way to mount it, it can look good, and your bike will be as functional as you want it to be.

Be different?????? I think most bikes have speedos....... So what side are you on????

Hell yeah guys thanks for all the input! I'm from a small ass town an there is absolutely no chopper scene around at all so I'm going in this one blind folded. Stoked for all the response thanks 🤘🏻🤘🏻

Get Adobe Flash player

I think it depends on the places you ride. I ride a lot on OH interstates that are heavily patrolled and strictly enforced with relatively light traffic. I WILL get a ticket for 5-10 over (I've also been pulled for tint too dark, not displaying a front plate, modified plate, obscured plate, no license light, burned out light, seatbelt, noise, rolling stop, etc.). I run a speedo.

Around town or in the country. Nah. Not a big deal. More likely to get a non-moving violation.

Get Adobe Flash player

DEF get one of those digital gear indicators! No chopper would be complete without one!

The phone mount seems like an awful idea. You'll be fumbling with your phone and toggling between apps every time you make a pit stop.

If you're new to riding a speedo and tach are not bad ideas. You can get them real cheap and take them off once you know your scoot,...if you care to take them off.

Not new to riding by any means. Been on a bike my whole life, but this is just my first custom build so I'm trying just to get a few ideas

Get Adobe Flash player

I ride through several school zones so a speedo is pretty much a must-have.

Custom made bracket off of head motor mount, custom cable from Barnett.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessechop View Post
    Not a fan of speedos, can't stand the chafing
    Love the smart as reply it really makes sense I personally prefer boardshorts

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Motocrash View Post

Custom made bracket off of head motor mount, custom cable from Barnett.

I have that same exact setup. Does the job.

Also I like having an odometer to monitor maintenance and such. Also it gives me a good idea on fuel status while on the road.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Motocrash View Post

What's the hole drilled in the fin on the rear head for?????

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Be different?????? I think most bikes have speedos....... So what side are you on????
    Just sounded like everyone on the board was telling the guy that you're an asshole if your chopper has a speedo, and/or that choppers by definition don't have a speedo. If a speedo is a requirement for you, get creative, find a cool way to mount it, and love your chopper.

I've owned and built bikes with and without speedos over my past ten years of riding, and I've always missed having one on the bikes that didn't. I'm primarily a city driver. It's really easy to go 60mph when you think you're only going 45. Just one ticket costs a hell of a lot more time and money than figuring out how to get a gauge on your scoot...

Share This