Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainZoop
    • Apr 2014

1982 Shovelhead Rotary Top Trans, shaft issue

My trans shaft and clutch hub both have a divet in them. I would assume that one of these is supposed to be "male" and the other "female"? Will these be able to work together? I also have an electric start hub but the bearing is way bigger than the shaft. First bike build

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5984.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1339992

Name:	IMG_5990.jpg
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1339993

Name:	IMG_5985.jpg
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1339994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5985.jpg
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1339994elhead
  • DirtySouth
    • Nov 2014

They are both females. It takes a woodruf key to lock them up

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

In mechanical engineering...

A key is a machine element used to connect a rotating machine element to a shaft. The key prevents relative rotation between the two parts and may enable torque transmission. For a key to function, the shaft and rotating machine element must have a keyway and a keyseat, which is a slot and pocket in which the key fits. The whole system is called a keyed joint. A keyed joint may allow relative axial movement between the parts.

Woodruff keys....

Woodruff keys are semicircular, such that, when installed, they leave a protruding flat end. The keyway in the shaft is a semi-circular pocket; the mating part is a longitudinal slot. They are used to improve the concentricity of the shaft and the mating part, which is critical for high speed operation.

The main advantage of the Woodruff key is that it eliminates milling a keyway near shaft shoulders, which already have stress concentrations.
      Common applications include machine tools, automotive applications, snowblowers and marine propellers.
      This type of key was developed by W.N. Woodruff of Connecticut. In 1888, he was awarded the John Scott Medal by the Franklin Institute for his invention.

How to get away from a 1888 design......

..... Splined Shovel Clutch ........

.../// https://youtu.be/QblkQ-J6zio \\\...
      Last edited by Dragstews; 05-26-2016, 10:55 AM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;