CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xnewmanx View Post
    inexpensive/quality.

Pick one.

I know 100 dollars seems like a lot, but manufacturing costs in the USA are stupid high.
    yes they certainly are, I can speak for that first hand, when you have CNC operators, machinists, or fabricators that make around $100 or more an hour (they are worth every penny that they charge if your using the right people) and you use strictly USA grade materials it becomes impossible to make a product here in the USA that can compete with companies making parts in China, Taiwan, Korea, etc etc.

So I wont get too long winded on this one,

for a good quality throttle use the Speed Dealer one, I use them on all the new bikes that I build, they are excellent and they only cost about $30 more than the Biltwell ones do, and they are much nicer, 100% made in the USA, and they look good also.
    So for me an extra $30 going to a company that makes its product here in the US vs. a company that doesnt is a no brainer every time.

Now if you want to compare a $130 product to a $12 product there is no comparison, the $12 product is a piece of plastic where the other piece is machined aluminum. I try and put as little plastic parts on my bikes as possible. especially ones that have to do with anything regarding, brakes, throttles, drivetrains, or other pieces that could potentially get you killed if they fail.

Get Adobe Flash player

Speed Dealer has the singles on sale for $78.95, just bought one. Will return my Whiskey.

Get Adobe Flash player

Where does a fellow find said $12 throttle? I'm interested, but not a internet wizard.
    ( Been searching for parts all day-today including throttles)

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me Made in USA took a back seat to Made in China or Mexico or whatever is cheapest some 30+ years ago, when Walmart switched from the US made pride to whatever is cheapest. '80s I think.

Thanks,
    Cotton1

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    Where does a fellow find said $12 throttle? I'm interested, but not a internet wizard.
    ( Been searching for parts all day-today including throttles)

I hope I'm wrong but it seems to me Made in USA took a back seat to Made in China or Mexico or whatever is cheapest some 30+ years ago, when Walmart switched from the US made pride to whatever is cheapest. '80s I think.

Thanks,
    Cotton1
    eBay or amazon. I ran one for a while and it was fine. Definitely replace the screws/bolts. And when I installed mine on my sporty I had to do so tweaking to get the cable end inside the clamp. Ended up drilled clamp out and using a plastic washer on the cable itself. Very loose but no problems with it over the past year. And I also just used my stock plastic throttle tube. But I recently swapped some bars and must have pulled something weird cause it started hanging up when it was clamped tight. Think i bent the slots in the tube for the cable end. Instead of replacing the tube I just bought a whiskey throttle. The cable was loose from me rigging it up anyways. Short test ride seems fine. Doesn't feel any better than the $12 one as far as action but the cable is nice and tight. So that's a plus. Also the finish is nice and its not plastic.

Get Adobe Flash player

Note taken, thanks Nickey.

I too have the jammed up whisky. A bit of electrical tape on the bars where it clamps fixed it up though. It was bought 2 months ago, so this is a problem that spans years which means they've done nothing to sort the problem.

I also have the 12$ china one and it's great.

Get Adobe Flash player

Only issue I have with the China one is the tube is shorter than most grips, so the grip has to hang off the end of the bars then you have to play around to get both sides even.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Biltwell POS

I've had a Biltwell on the shelf for 18 months while working on the rest of my machine. I bought it because I really liked the looks of it.
    I just found this thread last week and today it was time to mount up my beloved "neato" throttle.
    First thing I noticed is the sharp edges on the tube where the cable connects, not that I care much, but this definitely isn't the place for sharp edges. Looked like it might drag in the housing. Next thing I notice is the rough, very poor work, finish on the channel in the housing where the cable part rides.
    I bolted the whole thing on and, notice that the gap between the two clamshell pieces is awfully damn wide. As in I can fit a nickel, and more, into each gap once the whole thing is installed.
    Then, big surpise, the fucking thing drags like crazy. Somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 turn it actually bound to the point that it goes from being inconvenient to unsafe.
    Chinese, or not, this thing is a piece of shit compared the the $20 DS cheapo, I put on it 8 years ago.
    Anyway, I haven't even gotten to putting a throttle cable into this thing. And I won't be. It's coming off and I'll take my old DS cheapo to the sand blaster. I'm guessing I'll be more than happy. It's rare that I buy anything even remotely fadish or from the newer companies, now I know I'm not missing anything.
    Last edited by DanAz; 10-15-2017 at 1:15 AM.

I know this is an old post but i just came across it. I just ordered a whiskey throttle
    (haven’t received it yet) i first wanted that cheap China one but biltwell was the only one i came across with “push in” ferrules. Where did you find the Chinese throttle clamp for push in cables?

Get Adobe Flash player

Anyone use a Kustom Tech?

Looking for a throttle housing in brass and the KT seems to be the only one I can find.

$130 just for housing!! Does NOT even come with throttle tube. WTF.

Made in Italy? I thought they only rode scooters with hot women in giant sunglasses.

Whose taken that pricey plunge?
    What tube did you use?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post

Looking for a throttle housing in brass and the KT seems to be the only one I can find.

Made in Italy? I thought they only rode scooters with hot women in giant sunglasses.

What tube did you use?
    brass one right there:
    http://speeddealercustoms.com/store/...ow_products=48

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by leucadiaguitars View Post
    Good site, thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardIcel View Post
    That looks to be a "new" product, looks quality, interesting.

Get Adobe Flash player

(Shortened)

Sort of like an AK47. Cheap and junky by very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post

What tube did you use?
    I have used Italy made Tommaselli throttles in my metric bikes (22mm bar) Works great, sad that they dont have throttles for 1" bars

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardIcel View Post
    I picked up the tc bros throttle for my shovelhead and installed it yesterday. Very nice piece. Operates smooth and snaps back nicely. Comes with 5 different fittings to accept all styles of cables. I see the difference in this compared to the cheap ones that I've used many times. Much better feel.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	94084

Have tried all these throttles. I always go back to the jack hammers. Love the extra length/ price.

Get Adobe Flash player

I will chime in on this, but full disclosure, I work at Lowbrow Customs and I do much of the product design here, including these throttles! But, I also build bikes in my home shop as a hobby, which I have done for many years, and I have a lot of experience with many different throttles.

Lowbrow has a full line of USA-made throttle housings. They are all for 1" handlebars (currently), single or dual cable versions, and available in aluminum, black (hard black anodized aluminum), and solid brass. We have thread-in style for 1981-1995 Harley-Davidson and of course, custom, use. We also have dual cable push-in cable style throttles for 1996 and later Harleys. You can see them all here:

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/motor...der=created_at

I had a few goals, and we met them all: Perfect fit, finish and function. Made in the USA (even the hardware) and affordably priced.

Name:	010307-lowbrow-customs-throttle-housing-harley-single-cable-black-1-in-1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	267.4 KB 
ID:	95633

Name:	010385-lowbrow-customs-throttle-housing-harley-push-in-dual-cable-aluminum-1in-1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	95634

Name:	010308-lowbrow-customs-throttle_housing_harley_thread-in_single_cable_solid_brass_1_inch-2770.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	95635

These work with stock H-D throttle tubes as well as every aftermarket one we tried. I am really stoked on how they turned out. They clamp onto 1" bars and leave a very slim, even gap. Look great, function great.

We do sell the imported throttles that are only $15, and they do work great, so that is an option when you want to keep your bike budget low! And we have a single cable throttle (that also includes Harley OEM style grips) for $18.95...

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/cycle...ly-1-inch.html

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/cycle...-56392-77.html

Cheers!
    Last edited by Tyler; 07-17-2019 at 1:36 PM.

Hm, just bought the Biltwell Whiskey throttle, perhaps I should have read this thread first :S

What kind of cable do you guys use with this? The standard Barnett throttle cables don't seem to fit, not enough inner cable exposure. Or do you make a custom length cable? (I have it installed on an Ironhead with a CV carb)

Share This