CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I got this throttle assembly from panic cycles http://www.panicy.com/651824-throttle-assy-1-inblk/ , single cable, and came with grips for $30, stock cable slides right in and you tighten down the nut, however; the innards needed a little honing to make everything nice a smooth, also when tightening everything down you have to be very particular that you are snugging things equally on both sides to prevent binding but once everything is tight she works like a charm.

Get Adobe Flash player

Reviving an old thread here, but thanks to the OP for this writeup. I'm ready to order a throttle and have been back and forth trying to decide between the Whiskey and JM. After reading through here, looks like I'll be ordering the cheapie and putting the extra scratch elsewhere.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow, the Biltwell isn't twice as expensive :-( Not 3x as expensive :-( EIGHT times as expensive :-0
    Though it's made in Taiwan, not China.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Though it's made in Taiwan, not China.....
    ROC vs PRC is still Chinese, which is no problem since the PCs and phones we read this thread with also come from Chinese companies.

Get Adobe Flash player

whisky throttle 100 dollar JUNK

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess I have to throw my comments in as well.
    I have a cast 1" whiskey throttle that I was happy with up until this week. I'm just finishing up a build and I've gone through several sets of handlebars trying to find the "right" set. I have a set of LSL bars, a set of cheap Emgo drag bars, and a set of Flanders bars. I've narrowed all 3 by about an inch on each end. I noticed that while narrowing the Flanders bars the bars were not quite round. The tube is slightly oval. I also noticed that they are slightly bigger OD. My whiskey throttle worked ok with the LSL and Emgo bars as long as I didn't tighten it down too much, but with the Flanders, no dice. I have a few other throttles that work fine on the Flanders tho. The whiskey throttle I have has the same crooked gap as others have experienced, almost like the throttle is too small.
    I guess I'm going to have to massage the inside of mine to get it work untill I can scratch up the funds for an SD throttle.
    Last edited by Motocrash; 08-26-2016 at 3:36 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unless they were oval all the way out, some ovality is common near where handlebars bend. OD might be them using some metric tubing. I'd drop a caliper across 'em out of curiosity.

Throttles should really be evaluated on round tubing of correct nominal diameter, but it's good to know what they do on goofy shit too. Thanks for posting.

OP started a fucking useful thread.

Get Adobe Flash player

I noticed they were a bit bigger when I set them in the risers. The other bars set snugly in the risers but the Flanders would not sit in all the way until the clamps were cranked down. I wouldn't have noticed they were a bit oval if I hadn't cut the ends off. I use a pipe cutter and it would not smootly rotate around the bar. I don't think the slightly out of round is as big an issue as the diameter. I also noticed that if I push the thottle tube all the way on (minus a slight gap so it doesn't bottom out), the tube will bind. It feels like the last 1/8" or so of the tube ID tapers in slightly. I always file the end to remove the flare from the pipe cutter but since these bars are slightly bigger and not quite round I'm going to have to give it a bit more taper.

I took a half-round file and opened the clamping area a little, then ran it over a 18mm socket with lapping compound to make sure it was evenly opened up. It took a while but, It fits much better now and rotates smoothly. I wouldn't have fucked with it but I really like the way the cast throttle goes with the rest of the bike.

Last edited by Motocrash; 08-26-2016 at 6:11 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

So I bought the cheapie single cable off eBay a while back for when I finally got around to ditching my controls. Started on the rewire last night. Had to take a break from all the wires. So many wires. But i figured I'd throw the throttle assembly on just to see how clean my bars are gonna be. But my throttle cable won't fit into the hole in the assembly. I've got an 02 Sportster. 883 custom. Stock cables and everything. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. And should I try to make it work (drill hole or something) or just get a new cable?

Get Adobe Flash player

great reviews just helped me buy a throttle assy

Get Adobe Flash player

Just chiming in that Biltwell is just a brand, they're owned by DS or some crap now. Their products are made in Taiwan and if you don't buy directly from them you're SOL if somethings wrong. They're almost as big a joke as RSD for trying to push the "handcrafted by bearded hipsters in a garage" narrative when the opposite is true. You can buy RSD products from china directly.. for 1/10th the cost.

Took over 6 months to get my Continental diamond stitch seat for my dyna, the seat pan is ABS plastic, the pleather is STAPLED into it on the underside, half the staples missed the material... Biltwell didn't even bother to offer to make it right.

Blame the hipster douchebags, the instagram crowd for them still being around.

Get Adobe Flash player

Was doing some searching and came across this http://fagengine.bigcartel.com/produ...ble-throttle-1 it looks well built thinking about giving it a try will report back if I do.

Get Adobe Flash player

For whatever it's worth my Biltwell throttle works great.

And the two things I have exchanged with them they got right back to me and shipped the same day I shipped my item back to them. (Neither were quality issues).

Get Adobe Flash player

Lets get this straight, they're ALL shitty bargain-bin Chinese-made brands that are flawed to varied degree. Biltwell sucks. I hate seeing that shit logo blown up oversize everywhere on their product, every one of their designs is flawed, and their manufacture is dirt cheap--backed up by the false claim that it can't be made here.

BIltwell is less a “motorcycle company” than they are an advertising and marketing juggernaut. In an economic system in which the goal is to sell as much of whatever you are selling and make as much money as you can in the process, the Biltwell guys have played their hand quite successfully. At this point, quality (or lack thereof) of the product has become secondary to growing the brand.

Having established their business acumen and overseas manufacturing capabilities through their past endeavors within the bicycle industry, AND being heavily involved in the marketing / advertising industry as well, it was obviously an easy move for Biltwell’s founders to branch off into producing motorcycle parts in order to capture another revenue stream. Additionally, their marketing savvy and advertising experience seem to have been expertly utilized to identify and capture a large customer base to which their products could be funneled for quick and easy consumption.

As for Biltwell’s products, I’ve used them. From helmets to handlebars, they seem to be relatively affordable, readily obtainable, useable products that do what they are designed to do. A couple of friends of mine have Biltwell throttles that they got years ago and say they are great. They seem to sell a shit-ton of Biltwell-branded parts and to be a healthy company from a financial standpoint. It’s hard to fault a company for being successful. We live in a capitalistic society and successful businesses make for a healthier economy, etc, etc.

Biltwell’s MARKETING, on the other hand….

There is an old saying that states “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.” and, looking back at Biltwell’s marketing from their earliest days until now, this quote seems to have been their guiding mantra.

With their logo now seemingly as ubiquitous as those of Wal-Mart or Coca-Cola, Biltwell’s marketing has MASTERFULLY harnessed and manipulated social media in a way which has clearly grown their brand and maximized their visibility to the point of overexposure.

However, an unfortunate side effect of their phonily self-deprecating, dumbed-down, “cool to be ironic”, social-media-driven , everybody-gets-to-play-dress-up schtick of a marketing strategy (seen here on this very forum which was CREATED by Biltwell before it became profitable enough to be sold off) seems to have been the formation of an entire made-for-instagram, just-add-water “scene” of customers and consumers made up of coddled, soft-bodied trust-funders, loudmouth wannabe’s, and seat-standing, look-at-me narcissists in which “likes” and hashtags are more important that knowing how to change the oil in your motorcycle – much less ride the damned thing. If Biltwell didn't CREATE this "scene", their marketing certainly keeps it well-fertilized. Add in a few carefully-cultivated fanboys, some third-tier industry suck-ups, and a liberal dose of social media to help spread the Bilwell gospel and watch those blissfully ignorant kids line up from here to the horizon to purchase a set of Keystone bars or a Gringo helmet and bubble shield. (And don’t forget to snarkily make fun of “Sons of Anarchy” as often as possible so that no one has to realize who is REALLY playing “dress up”.)

Of course, people can make the argument: “Those guys give away lots of product and they sponsored the (insert name here) run!”. While it’s true that Biltwell does “sponsor” many events, it’s for ADVERTISING purposes and brand placement. Their size, sales numbers and profit margins clearly allow for a healthy advertising budget - a budget that is factored in to the cost of the product that YOU pay for. They don’t sponsor your event because they are your buddies or want you to sit with them at the “bro-table”. They do it to move more Kung-Fu grips, Mushman pegs, and Whiskey Throttles. Play the game if you want but don’t kid yourself. It’s business.

It can also be said “But Biltwell puts on great events!” That may be the case AND if they weren’t enjoyable, people might stop coming to them. That said, when you buy the ticket and take the ride, realize that there are business-driven mechanics behind the curtain. Have a read on how this works with everyone’s favorite overexposed event, “Babes Ride Out” (and have your chum bucket ready to hurl into after you’ve had your fill of marketing buzzwords).

http://www.grindtv.com/transworld-bu...UPWXs1ULVLQ.97

So in closing, be thoughtful and intentional about where you spend your money. Personally, I’ll happily pay a little bit more and wait a little bit longer for a set of bars, a seat, or a throttle from a manufacturer that sells American-made products that support American workers and families. If that’s not possible and I have to buy cheap Chinese product, I’ll make sure I pay cheap Chinese prices. Paying $100.00 for a $6.00 part wrapped up in $94.00 worth of scenester marketing? No thanks.
    Last edited by ApolloScreed; 03-08-2017 at 2:52 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^ spot on^^^

Get Adobe Flash player

I really like the socket with lapping compound trick. Instant semi-precision sanding roll!

You could behead an extra socket extension and spin the socket with a drill. I have one for removing screws but now I can add a useful mission.

Get Adobe Flash player

whisky throttle is shit in fact i have NEW one available now $50 think i paid 90 pm for details

It's interesting to read this....I also own a '76 VW Bus (ok, here's the connection...they are air cooled just like Harley's . Biggest complaint is the lack of QUALITY replacement parts. People are willing to PAY for quality (Baker transmissions anyone?). If a company would develop a throttle that felt like quality, performed in a quality manner, and was under a $100, they would probably have folks lining up.... I've got to think with our Yankee ingenuity, we could develop a high quality part at a fair price that folks would buy...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mhobryan View Post
    If a company would develop a throttle that felt like quality, performed in a quality manner, and was under a $100, they would probably have folks lining up
    inexpensive/quality.

Pick one.

I know 100 dollars seems like a lot, but manufacturing costs in the USA are stupid high.

Share This