Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boomboomthump
    • Oct 2013

Not sure why you say that. Grade 5 hardware would be overkill and ~$20 total. Regular steel would be under $10 for everything.

Comment

• Aceof84
      • Nov 2014

I was looking on my phone and saw some of the coupling nuts were like 40 bucks. So I got worried.

Comment

• Aceof84
        • Nov 2014

Okay, really hope either sky or boom has a solution to this little issue.

I got the damper assembly apart. The tube is threaded for M10x1.00. So its metric which makes it sense since its a showa front end. Finding all thread rod in that size is not issue however I can't find a coupling nut that is its m10x1.00. They are all m10x1.25.

On top of all that the damper rod is not threaded all the way to the top. I took a photo so everyone e would have a better idea. Its in the link below. So the problem with that is you can't get a coupling nut over the top part since it hits the threads of the nut. Its not an issue with the current lock nut since its only threaded about half way through.

So only solution i come to is to find a m10x1.00 couple (if it exists) then bore out some of the thread i so I can get it over that first part of the damper tube.

Option two is ditch the adjustable front end and get a normal setup.

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

I didn't think cartridge tubes were available in "over". So I'd be sure the cartridge actually fit in the new tubes before I went any further.
          Have you tried a partial assembly yet? Or talked to Franks?
          If they work, gonzo. You are gonna have to make/modify your own coupling nut. Get yourself a metric tap if you don't have one already. It don't have to be pretty. Don't forget the lock tight.

Comment

• Aceof84
            • Nov 2014

I have done a partial assembly and it's not jiving together. I can't even get the spacer in since the damper rod doesn't have enough length.

Also if I did manage to get this to all work I don't believe the adjuster will even function properly. The manual is very specific about how to properly install it after its been removed. So I would be left with a cartridge fork that is non adjustable.

So not sure if this is worth it.

Comment

• Sky
              • Aug 2009

I bet your tubes are for conventional damper rod forks. Hard to say for sure from here though.

Comment

• Aceof84
                • Nov 2014

Ya, I'm almost positive they are. The more i tinker and think about it the less plausible it seems to do a fork extension on a stock 1200s front end.

Comment

• Aceof84
                  • Nov 2014

I figured I would update this thread with the outcome of it all. There wasn't any real way to easily lengthen the cartridge assembly. As I stated in previous posts you can't even find a 1.00 extra fine thread coupling nut. Not saying its not do-able but it requires some fabrication (i.e. making a proper coupling nut etc.) So for those with a Sport front that want to extend the front its not a simple bolt it all together process. Even if you make to make the damper rod longer with all Thread rod you will probably end up losing any real way to adjust pre-load.

So rather than ditch franks forks I opted to convert it to a traditional system. Damper kit cost about 115 bucks, springs and a new fork cap. It was around 220 bucks when i was finished. Wasn't the outcome i hoped for but at least it will work and I can keep the forks.

Comment

• boomboomthump
                    • Oct 2013

Sorry, I was away or I would have chimed in earlier. Too late but you could have very easily made your own. Could have picked up a small piece of hex stock for $5 and an M10x1.0 tap for $5 as well. Cut two pieces an inch long, drill them in a drill press and tapped the threads. Voila.

Just wanted to add that hopefully to someone else's benefit that might want to do this in the future.

Comment

• Aceof84
                      • Nov 2014

Its cool, it was a bit more money than I intended to spend but I'm super pleased with the out come. My big issue is i lack a lot of the proper tools to do any real type of fabrication. But anyway, Thanks for all the info. It was a fun(sort of) learning experience.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;