Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joeytats
    • Mar 2015

Bendix Zenith to S&S Super E

So I've had my fill of the Zenith carb on my 1973 XLH, rebuilt twice & still runs like shit ... Want to go to a Super E ... Wondering exactly what I need and don't need ... Will the carb bolt right on to my old intake , or do I have to purchase the whole kit??? Huge difference in price ...
    Appreciate some feedback
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

The E manifold is larger in diameter than the stock manifold to clear the E butterfly so you'll need it.

An E is kinda large for a stock Ironhead. I've run them but if I did an Ironhead carb swap today I'd try a CV carb instead. Much less money and CVs work well on fucktillions of Harleys and generations of Jap bikes. If I had an old butterfly Keihin lying around I wouldn't hesitate to use it either. When we installed S&Ss on big twins in the '80s we often gave away the stock carbs to happy Ironhead owners. With the Andrews pump kit they work fine.

If I used a CV I'd get the press-on flange for minimum overhang vs other adapter methods. Less risk of loosening at the heads...

I think that sexy S&S teardrop air filter housing has a lot to do with selling their carbs. They make them to fit CVs but they are expensive. You can find clones with some looking if it matters.

Ironhead gurus can weigh in on jetting etc.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
    Working...
    ;