Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dougtheinternetannoyance123
    • Apr 2012

Yes, TRINORTONCHOPZ.. you are relatively correct. But im a damaged unit, but i try.. (Research neuroplasticity) but the whole topic of 4LS brakes is a convoluted one, and the asian manufacturers were clever about buying some designs under license and in other cases shameless copying and refinement so be careful about assuming when something looks similar.

(Kawasaki copied the BSA A7/A10s twice, and the Yamaha XS650 was a BSA A65 design copy that got engineered into something similar but different)

So, you might be correct about the TD & TZ in this case BUT,,, those were copies of Italian designs and the one on that Norton? Not certain but I doubt its an original Yamaha and more likely one of the new repops. (Which is a copy of a copy of a copy)

But if you like shiny 4LS baubles,, follow a sharp fellow over in Belgium who builds some amazing stuff. (Right now a full on 920cc Norton). This bike has evolved over the years and gets better and better. But also has a similar TZ Brake.

See: https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonC...-seeley.21695/

But if you research this all kinds of homebuilt versions as well, Some have taken the pancake brakes from early 1950s Triumphs and mated them together to make a dual sided brake and then converted the SLS to a TLS thus making a poor mans 4LS.
    But the most common 4LS (Which is an ironic statement because 4LS are not common at all) is of course the Suzuki Water Buffalo. (GT750)
    But if you TRULY want mechanical P O R N,, then the last pix is surely it. 8LS?? Steampunk as all hell!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norton_Begonia_Rally_2016_-_015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1300194Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki-GT750-1-800x600.jpg
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1300195Click image for larger version

Name:	4lstambour-drum-brake.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1300196
    Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 01-19-2018, 1:22 AM.

Comment

• hillcat
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      I did a bit of diggin' to help with Doug's "brain damage"; "Its either a Fontana or one of the others the names escape me for the moment (Brain damage) but these were originally english and Italian racing brake setups from the 1950s pre disc brakes.":

It looks like the same one used on the Yamaha TD3 and TZ:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]81154[/ATTACH]

From this link, other makers (other than Fontana) of the 4LS were Menani, Grimeca, Moto Guzzi, and also used on others including Suzuki's GT550 and GT750:
      http://victorylibrary.com/brit/2LS-table.htm
      Why you've done it again Magoo!
      You are one Googlin' MaFa.
      Thanks though.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by hillcat
        Why you've done it again Magoo!
        You are one Googlin' MaFa.
        Thanks though.
        Look at his profile, IE: Where he is located. Based on yesterdays and todays storm that just passed thru I imagine he went past his ass and well up to his armpits in snow. (Great White North).
        Hunkered down with time on his hands and a internet connection.

I have a bunch of friends up in Alaska who are into vintage bikes. Surprising amount of vintage bikes up there and I also know Dave Campbell who was the Matchless/AJS club president. Lot of winter downtime to wrench and build.

beats the alternative so good for him. (Instead could be drunk, fukk'n the dog and beatin' the wife so its a much more positive outcome wouldnt you agree??)

Comment

• hillcat
          • Mar 2015

^ OK, yes ^
          I see yer point.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Yup, that's it Doug: "Hunkered down with time on his hands and a internet connection." It's another long cold dark winter... I like learnin' and there is lots to learn here, I'm curious and like to share info.
            "you might be correct about the TD & TZ in this case BUT,,," and I'm learnin' to be careful with my words: "It looks like the same one", not sayin' it is the same, and not sayin' it's a Yamaha brake, just found an interesting site with drum brake info and photos, with one that has reference to it used on the TZs. Flatman first asked what it was and made me say hmmm, then you added more info that really piqued my curiosity. That "Steampunk" 8LS brake hub is almost big enough to wrap with rubber - no rim required!
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;