Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	1291913
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1291911
    here are some bike build photos
    the seat I am using is not that large at all. so I decided NOT to loop the frame on the end. instead its welded closed and cleaned up.
    I was going to make a template and weld into place an electronics tray. I had some mat and resin left over from a previous project so I laid that instead. the SR500 doesn't need a battery, so I don't have much to cram into the space.

Comment

• dexterousengineering
      • Mar 2014

Let me introduce myself to those of you taking the time to read this. My name is Pete Watkins I was selected as one of this year's Greasy Dozen builders for the Cafe category, and I am so thankful and unbelievably stoked about this. I have been posting semi-regularly about the status and updates on my build mostly on Instagram @dexterouseng. To start things off let me tell you a little about myself. I own Dexterous Engineering here in Salt Lake City after first starting it up back home in in a little town South East of Bakersfield CA known as Tehachapi. I moved to Utah last year and work countless hours at my day job at Kindig-it Design building high end custom hot rods, yes we have a TV show called Bitchin Rides, yes I am on this show, no I'm not rich at all, and yes I am just an average dude who just loves building hot rods and motorcycles.

A bit of a back story on this cafe that I am building on nights and weekends. This 1974 Honda CL360 is a customer build bike that I was given with complete design control over. Only thing was, i didn't know jack shit about cafe racer bikes when I started into it. So I researched and figured out how I can put my own creative So-Cal spin on this old decrepit bike that has sat outside up against a barn for the last 18 years in the Utah desert.

Name:	20151122_164407_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	1291928
      When I first got this bike the motor was seized and was covered in spider webs, some with some nasty lookin spiders still trollin around on it. I happened to have a 2001 Suzuki GS500 motor just sitting around. So I spoke with the owner, and did the sacrilegious swap. Still keeping the original CL360 frame and everything, but modified to fit the much larger unit in the frame. This isn't the only thing happening to this bike. I build metal shape custom sheet pieces all day at work so naturally I decided to ditch the stock everything tin on this bike. All of the tin work on this build is 100% hand shaped out of stainless steel, it will then be polished and heated to a "straw" color. For those of not aerospace stainless terms savvy, straw is like a gold/bronze color that stainless makes its its first stages of heat color change. The frame will be sand blasted and powdered from my buddy out at Pacific Coast Powder to make it look like a sand cast frame. I have a few other tricks up my sleave but you'll have to wait and what they are.

Right now I'm working on the mono-shock conversion, then finish welding the frame and little odds and ends. Then finish out these stainless pieces. Here is a pic of how the bike sits at this moment in time. Thank you for reading, and a huge thank you for Chop Cult, Bear, and all the sponsors that help and support the Greasy Dozen. This is such a cool opportunity and I am thankful to be part of it.

-Pete

Name:	IMG_20160712_211657725.jpg
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	1291929

Comment

• Huckstr
        • Nov 2013

The Greasy Texan

What's going on fellas I'm here to give thanks to all the sponsors coming trough big time I've got several parts In the mail can't wait to get this thing done. '76 ironhead sporty 1000cc coming along quite nicely. i don't know how to post pics on this feed yet either soab.

Comment

• cbhench2015
          • Aug 2015

Hey all!
          Been making tons of progress on the build! A little bit of random fabrication to be done and some carb tuning to dial in but its been on a couple small shakedowns. Cant wait to meet everyone in September at the run. Ill be coming out from LA. Thanks again so much to all the sponsors. Having a killer time with this!

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1291961Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1291962Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1291963Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	1291964
          Last edited by cbhench2015; 07-18-2016, 2:06 PM.

Comment

• Lowhigh
            • Apr 2016

First road test

Didn't make the cut. But thought I would post one more time. First road test today and not to bad. a few issues to work out and should be on the road later today. Hoping to make the barbecue.
            Attached Files

Comment

• ChiJersVintageBikeWorks
              • Jan 2015

34mm mikuni carb setup, motion pro throttle, K&N filter, MP cable- jet as needed----BORED OUT A 36MM TO 37.35- rest is on order
              new petcocks for custom tank more on that later- DONE
              finish tank- DONE, OFF TO PAINT
              line tank- UNNECESSARY, ITS CLEAN AS HELL AND HELD 40PSI
              powder coat a buttload of stuff- DONE
              clean up and powder coat frame after welding- SENT OFF WITH BARS AND FORKBRACE
              powder coating will be a gun metal gray with clear coat
              rear loop designed for seat- NO LOOP, WELDED REAR OF SUBFRAME CLOSED AND CLEANED UP
              electronics tray- DONE
              capacitor, upgrade wiring, custom harness- DONE
              Hughs handbuilt speedster bars with biltwell grips- DONE, BUT GETTING LEATHER WRAPPED GRIPS, SHIFTER PAD, AND KICKER PAD TO MATCH- traded PJ Brown some polishing for this
              rear light- no idea, and its bothering me!
              headlight, bottom mount small, make bracket- DONE
              turn signals, mini, make brackets off lower triple- DONE and rear upper shock mount- depends on tail/brake/signal light
              redwing hammer head rear shocks- DONE
              valve covers- ORDERED
              oil filter cover- ORDERED
              dual feed oil line- ORDERED
              PANDEMONIUM brembo brake upgrade up front with stainless braided- HAVE TO INSTALL BUT MORE OR LESS DONE
              picked up slim master cylinder from Hughs as well.
              need plain black cutch lever assembly
              stainless bolt kit- NOT DOING THIS
              motor mounted compression release- ORDERED
              relocate ignition- WORKING ON
              relocate a mini speedo- side mount, make brackets for both- WORKING ON
              all balls racing- front and rear wheels, steering, and swingarm (dealer prices, and I trust their superior product) - ALL INSTALLED AND SMOOTH AS SILK
              *not really smooth. brake side bearing was loose in hub by a little bit, could take out with finger. so I center punched it in three spots and green Loctite that shit.

paint tank and tail- ford new pearl white, navy pinstripes/ accents- IT IS THERE NOW

stock head pipe, reverse cone exhaust or....something.- WENT WITH HOOS HEADER AND BILTWELL MINI MUFFLER WITH CLAMP

continue to fix everything as I go.

it is almost time to assemble once shit starts coming back!

Comment

• TXRanger
                • Jan 2014

Got my aluminum tank all tacked up and it will be welded up this week by my friend Erik Medina of Envy Choppers... unlike me, he knows what the hell he's doing.

Other than that, I'm kind of at a standstill, as I've been waiting on my custom aluminum rear fender since April. I wouldn't sweat that, but I can't do fender mounts, sissy bar, seat pan, exhaust without it. I'm also waiting on laser cut and machine parts to build my front end. Aaaaannnndddd... my cases, jugs, head, rocker box are still at the vapor honer.

Soooo, I've been sweating this deadline from the get go. I knew if everything fell into place I could get this thing done in time for the Greasy Dozen Run in September, I was even planning to make the xs650 chopoff and Pandemonium Custom Choppers in August. But here it is almost August, and I'm behind on fab because I'm waiting on parts, I can't put my motor together, and I've still got some key parts to buy.

What I won't do is cut corners to get it done in time. This is going to be one of the most unique things I've ever built, and I've got some quality one-off, or very limited run parts on it built by myself or by people I respect. I won't cheapen that work by just throwing the rest together so I have a running bike in time for the run. Don't get me wrong, I will work on this thing until the last possible moment. But I won't sacrifice quality.

That said, I think it would be pretty shitty of me to show up in Ohio empty-handed after being selected as one of the 13 builders. I figure I owe it to Old Bike Barn and the rest of the sponsors to have something to show. Since I'm waiting on parts anyway, I decided to resurrect a build I put on the back-burner when I started hitting the xs650 pretty hard.

It's a 2005 Honda Rebel 250 (because I could), with a Voodoo Vintage hardtail that I built and welded on under the instruction of David, the owner. The wheels and front end came off of a 1979 Kawasaki KE250 rolling chassis that I paid $50 for. Dave helped me swap the Rebel stem into the KE250 lower tree, and make some modifications to the top clamp to get it to work. The tank is a Throttle Addiction mini sporty that holds a whopping 1.3 gallons, and I welded contoured fins to the bottom of it... don't give me too much credit, I saw Slim's Fab to something like this a while ago. Did some trading for the paint work with my friend Ian Cioffi of ENC Custom Paint in Ohio (the only custom paintjob I've ever had). Since I was picked for the Oddball Category, I hope this is oddball enough to make everybody proud, should the xs650 not make it.

I'm not quitting on it, just hedging my bets...

Here's some pics of how she looks thus far:

Name:	IMG_7369.JPG
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1292068Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7371.JPG
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1292069Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7380.JPG
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1292070Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7381.JPG
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1292071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7383.JPG
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1292072

Comment

• TXRanger
                  • Jan 2014

And here's a couple more pics... This bike is tiny, but awesome...

Name:	IMG_7396.JPG
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1292073Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7402.JPG
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1292074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7404.JPG
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1292075

Comment

• Huckstr
                    • Nov 2013

@Rowdy_House

What's goin on!?!??? This is @Rowdy_House the Lucky 13th of the group haven't been able to post a lot on this feed so time to catch up. I'm building a '77 1000cc Sporty. As of late I milled out a piece of each of the top clamps to allow the Biltwell bars to clear and clamp well. I also ended up with a Biltwell builders exhaust kit so some short upswept exhaust were made up. I went ahead and made some pegs and a toe shifter. The gnurl on these things will tear some boots for sure!!!! I picked up a Biltwell whiskey throttle of coarse I fuckin love these the quality is top notch. I just made a narrow sissy for it today so now to mount the fender and prep for paint. Late 70's era paint in the works. Thanks again to all the sponsors for all support!!!!! #RowdyHouseCustoms #TexasasFuck

Comment

• Jan 2015

I will just leave these updated pics here!

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1292213

Name:	IMG_0865.JPG
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1292214

Comment

• Jan 2015

moving along hereClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	1292272

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	1292273

Comment

• ZaneCook
                          • Aug 2016

Havent had a chance to post anything on here about my build, I've kept it pretty up to date on instagram though(@zanecook). Building my 2nd bike(First harley) so this has been a huge learning curve me and a pretty crazy experience. I bought a basket case iron head off of chopper swapper in June, i was told the motor was solid and was pulled from a running bike. Myself and a few friends (@treysayer_ @TylerGuid)threw the bike together in a week so that i could ride to Fuel Cleveland, ran into a few issues on the way but nothing major. Rode the bike all weekend and had a killer time at Fuel, on the way home about an hour and 20mins from home the motor started knocking, and progressively got worse real fast, ended up pulling over and waiting for someone to come pick me up.

This is where the real build started, my motor was shot. In my head I'm thinking its game over due to me being tight with money. I had never split cases or done any work to a crank, luckily (@foreveruncool) reached out and helped with the entire process. We managed to rebuild the entire bottom end for super cheap, I'm finally buttoning up the last of the motor this week and the bike will be up and running real soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 31, 7 14 54 PM.jpg
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	1292410 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 31, 7 13 20 PM.jpg
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	1292412 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 30, 2 19 09 PM.jpg
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1292413 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 30, 2 19 58 PM.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1292411 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 20, 4 03 57 PM.jpg
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	1292414
                          Last edited by ZaneCook; 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• ZaneCook
                            • Aug 2016

Name:	Photo Aug 30, 2 19 04 PM.jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1292415 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 30, 2 18 48 PM.jpg
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	1292416 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jul 27, 7 45 08 PM.jpg
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	1292417 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 23, 9 14 44 PM.jpg
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	1292418 Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Aug 30, 2 18 48 PM.jpg
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	1292416

Comment

• Bear
                              • Apr 2012

Here we go again!

In honor of the builders efforts, brands and followers of The Greasy Dozen, we will once again put on a corn boil and bon fire at my bro Dale's farm. Riders will be treated to a well-researched rip though some of Ohio's best back roads. The Greasy Dozen Run remains a traditional, intimate gathering of like minded folks for a great Friday pre-party and Saturday ride. Festivities include camp out complete with free corn boil, free tenting and free people. Grassroots builders and riders kicking it, for a down home season finisher!

All brands of cycles are welcome!

PRE PARTY: Friday Night September 30th at the start point 7-10pm 1454 North Grant Ave. at the Compound Columbus Ohio Door Prizes and swag! Musical Guests will be Ride To Ruin and we'll all roll out to a local watering hole afterward.

SATURDAY GROUP RIDE: Departs October 1st at 12 Noon from The Rice Paddy Motorcycles Compound 1454 North Grant Ave. Columbus Ohio rain, shine or winds through the country side to the Clark Family farm at 1620 Cuckoo Rd. Peebles Ohio 45660

P.S. There will be $250 Gift certificate from www.oldbikebarn.com for the rider that rides the longest distance to attend + swag and door prizes at the pre-party along with awards at the run!

Band: Ride to Ruin

More details at www.thegreasydozenrun.com

ACCOMMODATION DETAILS: Camping at the farm on the Saturday is FREE as is the food and beer but Friday night after the preparty folks need to find a place to stay. The closest hotel is Days Inn 1700 Clara st. Columbus Ohio 43211 phone 614 299 4300 it's only a mile away from the compound and runs about $60 a night for 2 queen beds. Or $15 a head for 4 close friends ! Also locals usually open up their back yards to pick tents simply let people know your looking for a place and it becomes part of the adventure!
                              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;