CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The GREASY DOZEN BUILDER COLLECTIVE 2016

The Greasy Dozen Garage Builder Collective 2016 is here!

Like we said the first year; its not a tough guy thing its about building / riding motorcycles and having fun!
    Selection starts today and runs through May 21st at 8pm pst.
    Who Can Apply: Anyone can participate 33 members, Flies, Cats, Zombies, Taco Eaters, Scooter Trash, Lurkers, the only group barred are Vegans...

You must be a home garage builder or small shop with 2 employees or less. This is not some corporate thing its a very basic grassroots affair with a focus on building bikes! Its been that way since we originally approached Billdozer about it and so it will remain. Pulling together like minded companies to help out new builders and up and coming shops with parts and support!

I had a good conversation with my friend Walter at Kick Start Cycle a few days ago. We talked about when the new scene emerged around 2005 and how things were really cool and drama free. It was finally a scene about the bikes and good times. There were few rivalries and anyone that wanted to bring that was quickly made aware that this was about riding motorcycles and having fun.
    The Greasy Dozen Builder Collective embodies that spirt and I'm hoping this year we can gel some of the brotherhood and collective energy that made the first years so great..

The Greasy Dozen will continue to call Chop Cult home, but IG users and people from other corners of the internet may enter, all info up dates winner and so on will be posted here to keep it simple You can add up dates to your build thread here or IG etc but will will continue to post progress and prize up dates here. True to its form we will be getting back to the roots of brotherhood, community and collective effort that made the emerging nouveau chopper scene so great. We have opened it up to allow users of other forums or those who are exclusively on smart phones to participate.

All brands, all creeds, the only rule is be respectful to one another and make it about the bikes!
    I want to thank Lisa Editor in chief here at CC for hosting us here and Allen @lady_hump and Brandon @crfyou for your help and support.

Ok lets get to the Bikes!!!

To Apply:
    1. Follow @Oldbikebarn on IG as more details will be posted there as they develop.
    2. You must post picture here in the Chop Cult thread or on IG of your current build or raw material tag @oldbikebarn and include ‪#‎greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ adding a few details about your plan and what category you wish to try for:

The categories are:
    3 Short Chops
    3 Long Bikes
    2 Cafe
    2 Oddball
    2 Street tracker

3:Extra points are awarded for anything Starwars related in your submission.

4.Multiple unique posts are also encouraged, as they show your enthusiasm level.
    Once chosen each builder can select how and where the will showcase their build using #hashtag #greasydozenbuildercollective2016

If you have questions you can email matt@thegreasydozen.com and he will help you out.

Builders will have 5 months to complete a bike and hopefully attend the Greasy Dozen Run September 23-24, 2016 You can expect the usual format, a rowdy ride, bbq, corn boil and camp out at the Clark Family Farm.

In closing I'll point out the prizes come in name of the winner and are redeemable in the form of gift cards or promo codes. Handled clean and professionally, designed so nobody cheat anyone. The facts are this actually costs all the companies involved time and money. We work as a team to give something back to the community, and try to inspire more people to build their own bikes as they watch this unfold!

Now lets see them submissions! Winners will be selected May 21st

Big thanks to Phil Guy @burritobreath for the rad art http://www.someguydesign.com/

So far this is the list or generous companies supporting, more will be coming!

www.Biltwell.com @biltwell
    www.Burlybrand.com burlybrand
    www.chopcult.com @chopcult
    www.indianlarrymotorcycles.com @indianlarrymotorcycles
    www.KickstartCycle.com @kickstartcycle
    www.kundratickustoms.com/ @kundratickutoms
    www.ledsledscustoms.com @ledsledcustoms
    www.LowbrowCustoms.com @lowbrowcustoms
    www.lowsidesyn.com/ @lowside_magazine
    www.oldbikbarn.com @oldbikebarn
    www.Rockandride.com @rockanride
    www.showclassmag.com/ @show_class_mag
    www.sscycle.com @sscycle
    http://www.speeddealercustoms.com/ @speeddealer
    www.triplesixcrewdeathco.com @triplesixcrewdeathcompany
    www.paisanopub.com/wrench/ @wrenchmagazine
    www.oldbikebarn.com oldbikebarn.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails greasydozenbuildercollective2016.jpg  
    Last edited by Bear; 05-21-2016 at 9:11 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oddball category entrant. Still plugging away at this, one day a week.

No Starwars content, this one is Mad Max all the way.

I can't attend the run, as it butts against my plans to ride this thing 1800 miles each way to attend Wasteland Weekend.

Shitty pic of most recent roll-able test assembly. Both ends bounce decently, 3.5" travel rear, 5.5" travel front.

Since then its been broken down and bolted (via engine mounts) into a home brew test jig to ensure it can take the stress of a long fast road. It can - took 2,000 lb supported loads on front and rear axle, and a simulated braking force of ~2g applied pushing front fork back against frame.

Recently been working on front steering link- did these just last night, they go in the head tube so I can use a BMX fork tube and stem to hold my bars. Don't need a regular headset because as you can see from the first picture above, none of the bikes weigh sits on the head tube. I could cut off the neck and toss it in the trash if I wanted, but its a nice place to mount the bars.

Still to go; front brake caliper mounts, steering link (should be done in a week or two), bars, get the engine in, airbox, exhaust system, electrical system, footlpegs and controls, cables. Gonna be a busy summer, but its a realistic shot.
    Last edited by 53Bash; 04-22-2016 at 2:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

i suppose ill enter since im building this bike anyways. 40ish over rigid denvers front end and a raked panhead frame i pulled out of a methheads basement with a 65' panhead motor and trans. most of the fab work is done just a few more little things and ill tear it down for molding and paint and then ride the shit out of it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender.jpg   pan.jpg  
    Last edited by codykemmet; 04-24-2016 at 8:36 PM.

Alright here it is. I'm building just a basic crusty old chopper for Greasy Dozen 2016 short chop. The idea is to keep it 70's style and all OG parts as much as possible or otherwise parts fab'ed by me. 88" cone shovel, ratchet top, juice drum sort of thing 18"/21" combo. Trying to keep it simple, rusty and reliable. Yup. Just all mocked up for now, lots to do and I'll be posting as I wrap it up. I enjoy building bikes that keep it simple and do what their meant to do...tear around. No frills. Follow the build in its entirely for most updates HERE https://www.instagram.com/partycigarettes/
    Just wanted to post once here to enter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.08.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	69190

Here's the frame that inspired the build....

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.08.10 PM.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	69191

So far I am in mockup and fab stages...just finalizing some things, cutting spacers for the rear axle setup.... you know, the usual.
    I have the front end pretty much done and in final assembly...

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.08.51 PM.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	69192

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.08.58 PM.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	69193

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 3.12.00 PM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	69194
    Last edited by cbhench2015; 04-25-2016 at 4:17 PM.

I originally started this bike so I'd have a 2-up for my son Eli and I to ride at the XS650 Fest and Chopoff at Pandemonium Custom Choppers in Ohio in August. When I saw the post of the Greasy Dozen on Instagram, I figured I'd throw in my hat (which I want back).

The plan is a retro-modern, high-neck, de-raked hardtail chopper, with a girder front end, aluminum prism style tank and fender, and a "floating" 2-up seat, which I'll be building myself (I build custom seats under the name Ranger Leather, on IG @rangerleather). I plan on entering the oddball category, as my square backbone, crank-driven alternator, and retro-modern styling are unusual... but I don't know if that's the right call after seeing the first post in this thread. That one is definitely an Oddball, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

This is my first frame build, and I have my buddy Dave at Voodoo Vintage to thank for putting up with me everytime I ask for his help. There's no way I'd be able to build this thing without his guidance, as I basically have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I can't say enough about the support him, Daniel at Pandemonium, and Hugh at Hugh's Handbuilt, have given me while I stumble through this build.

So here's what I started with:

And here's a horrible sketch I did of my current plan:

Mockup for my custom sidecover/alternator bracket/hydraulic clutch slave bracket. Final will be out of 3/8" aluminum.

Sweet 1-2 aluminum intake, machined out of 3 pieces of billet, then welded together.

And my frame... which I'm pretty damn proud of because it's my first full frame and I did 95 percent of the welding... and I'm not even scared it's going to fall apart.

And Ducati sportbike brakes for stoppage... I love the look of a spool, but I'm not taking any chances with my little guy on the back.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great post TXRanger! Things are just getting fired up and your enthusiasm is appreciated! Clearly the Force is strong with you! lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Building a 76 Ironhead sporster I obtained from my Pops a few years back. It was a basket case when i got it. So i tore it down to frame, cleaned it up and put a hardtail on. Then life took over and it got put on the back burner for some time. Now that i have my own garage space, and was able to hang onto it all this time. I finally get to continue what i started.
    Idea's i have for the bike is pretty straight forward. keeping it minimal, tight, and narrow.
    I have a history in BMX, so i dig going fast and carving turns.
    Looking forward to the build, riding it after completion, and having some laughs with like minded individuals.

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	69393
    (My woman helping me feel the breeze to imagine the ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Great post TXRanger! Things are just getting fired up and your enthusiasm is appreciated! Clearly the Force is strong with you! lol
    Thanks! ... I'm just hoping I make the cut!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Iron head build

Hello All: ‪#‎greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ Been working on this build all winter (when time would allow or the beer wasn't freezing). I thought this might qualify for the short chop. 4'' stretch and 2'' drop. Fabed the tail end and bars with a JD squared bender. Fabed the battery box, oil tank and the sissy bar from metal I had collected over time. Have pics of the foot clutch setup when I can figure the upload stuff out. Maybe I need Obi Wan Kenobi to help me figure it out. Hope this works !!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2243.jpg   DSCF2389.jpg   DSCF2421.jpg   DSCF2422.jpg   DSCF2425.jpg  

Last edited by Lowhigh; 05-19-2016 at 8:39 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default iron head build pics

#greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ Hope this isn't to much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2430.jpg   DSCF2429.jpg   DSCF2435.jpg   DSCF2436.jpg   DSCF2452.jpg  

Last edited by Lowhigh; 05-19-2016 at 8:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default iron head build pics

‪#‎greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ I have the motor back out getting the frame ready for powder. Should have some pics of the gas tank, oil tank and fender very soon (candy burgundy with some pin stripe).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2460.jpg   DSCF2453.jpg   DSCF2507.jpg   DSCF2510.jpg  
    Last edited by Lowhigh; 05-19-2016 at 5:21 PM.

Default 96 Sportster Custom

This is my first ever custom build. I needed a winter project to keep busy over the cold months here in Atlanta.

Started with a 96 donor Sportster:

Name:	IMG_20150920_192533.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	69540

Stripped it down and, with help from some friends, welded on a TC Bros Hardtail:

Name:	IMG_20151017_093037.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	69541

I did all the work in my basement:

Name:	IMG_20160116_150453.jpg 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	69542

I reused the ignition and coil mounts, cut them down, re-welded them and moved them around. I fabbed some tank lift spacers and a mount for the crankcase breather.

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	69543

Finally, with a custom paintjob by FlameThrower Customs, I got it all back together and running.

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	69544

Get Adobe Flash player

Default iron head build

‪#‎greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ Shaved the fork lowers. I couldn't find anything that I could follow when it came to doing it by hand. So as I did it I took pictures and created a you-tube picture tutorial for folks that might be looking for an idea on how to go about shaving the lowers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7P_4RTas5M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2392.jpg  
    Last edited by Lowhigh; 05-19-2016 at 5:21 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its a roller...ish. First time I've had it together with the bars, wheels, seat, and tank all on. Had to take a spin. This was at the local state fair grounds, so was a closed road; the car driving up the road is one that was on display. I was at a "Maker Fair" show (the shop I do my work at had a big booth) and got to talk to some interesting folk, including a couple chopper builders, and a couple mech engineers.

The steering links got done up in metal and came out pretty nice.

Yes, that is a (slightly modfied) BMX stem holding my (temporary) handlebars.

I have just two words to describe this in Starwars terms: Pod Racer.
    Last edited by 53Bash; 05-14-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Im still exercising the demons out of the bike, but each day it gets a little better. Here is the build thread I made a few months ago:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...vils+left+hand

photo 20160314_165156_zpsw2qvhhim.jpg

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey guys! So this is going to be my first full build, starting with a 98 softail, plan is to have a cool reliable chop once it's all done. I just tore the bike down a couple days ago and I need to have it rideable by the end of July for a month long cross country trip with xnewmanx. I thought I was going to be able to make a sweet time lapse of the tear down but over half the pics ended up corrupt (damnit!), so here are a few I was able to rescue.

Hoping to get the frame hardtailed this week/next weekend. The rest of the plans are king queen with some tall funky square stock sissy bar, reserve fuel tank/luggage rack on back of sissy bar, bird shooters, 8-10 over front end (i have a crusty old springer and a narrow glide, going to see what I like more) 21" front laced to a hamburger drum, 18" disc rear, AEE style narrow wind screen, pullbacks, most likely 6 bends and either narrowed split bobs or a peanut tank, tins and frame will all be painted off white. Stoked to get cracking on this thing and would be even more stoked to be a part of greasy dozen 2016!

Heres a doodle

Heres a doodle

You are a much better doodler than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Hey guys! So this is going to be my first full build, starting with a 98 softail, plan is to have a cool reliable chop once it's all done. I just tore the bike down a couple days ago and I need to have it rideable by the end of July for a month long cross country trip with xnewmanx. I thought I was going to be able to make a sweet time lapse of the tear down but over half the pics ended up corrupt (damnit!), so here are a few I was able to rescue.

Hoping to get the frame hardtailed this week/next weekend. The rest of the plans are king queen with some tall funky square stock sissy bar, reserve fuel tank/luggage rack on back of sissy bar, bird shooters, 8-10 over front end (i have a crusty old springer and a narrow glide, going to see what I like more) 21" front laced to a hamburger drum, 18" disc rear, AEE style narrow wind screen, pullbacks, most likely 6 bends and either narrowed split bobs or a peanut tank, tins and frame will all be painted off white. Stoked to get cracking on this thing and would be even more stoked to be a part of greasy dozen 2016!

Heres a doodle

Heres a doodle

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, I've been posting pics on IG .....@chijersvintagebikeworks
    Working on a new project.....a cafe racer SR500!
    God I love the single cylinder thumper!
    I'll post a pic here in morning as well

Name:	IMG_0819.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	69779
    Last edited by ChiJersVintageBikeWorks; 05-20-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Iron head build

‪#‎greasydozenbuildercollective2016‬ Finished the shifter tonight,and it's ready for powder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2565.jpg   DSCF2564.jpg   DSCF2566.jpg  
    Last edited by Lowhigh; 05-19-2016 at 5:22 PM.

here's what i've got to enter!

piced up this sporty from a basement with the front end totally detached from somebodys bad rake job that failed.
    took me and 3 other guys to lift it up the stairs and onto the back of my truck, used the crane at work to get it off and temporarily weld the neck back on so i could atleast roll it around!

what it looked like when i bought it

all i was really looking for was a motor and a clean vin/headtube to build off of.

the last couple days with ALOT of help from sean at Sean's non stock we've got a pretty rad frame started

stretched out 2 inches in the front, and raised the headtube 6 inches and raked it out a couple degrees, it'll be lowered a bit and have a 4"+ springer front end

Share This