X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WarMullet
    • Apr 2016

1980 CB900C Franken-Bike Build

Oye gents,

Long boring stories to be avoided out of the gate. After having fallen madly in lust with riding, due mostly to its ability to make the gloomies go away and calm the PTSD demons, I was forced to sell my first love the 1984 Honda V65. Booze and playstation filled the void for a few years, but was ultimately not able to sustain me. Seeing this my fantastic spouse demanded I find another 80 something bike and make it mine as I did my previous affair. Cut to semi recently, spouse went out and rescued a 1980 CB900 from a redneck who had blatantly mistreated it. And thats where we begin.

So I was able to start and ride this thing, but there was a batt. charging issue and my break light wouldn't work and the clutch slipped, and and and...
    So I have torn it down about 75%. I did not have the motivation to do a motor rebuild seeing as I had it running and it moved under its own power previously. The things I have done so far are replaced the clutch disks. That was as far as I got because the bike didn't feel it necessary to charge the battery, and I could not accept that.

The bike is really cool, and I felt had Honda given it a more aggressive posture that this would have been a crowd favorite. I personally hate the feel of bias ply tires, and I traded those out on my V65 for Avon radials of a slightly larger size, which I get is a no no to alot of folks, but it was worth it just in how the thing handled. So I opted to do this again, only problem was that the rims were not a size that allowed me to do this. Funny thing Honda did with the CB900 in 1983, they made a 1000cc that was literally just a bored over 900 with larger rims. My imagination did horrible things as ebay commanded my attention. New Z bars, street fighter dual 4" side by side headlights, forks/ triple tree/ front brakes from an 84 V65, M-Unit V.2, and some other silly stuff found its way to my door. Below you will see the stuff I've completed.

This was the horrid paint scheme the redneck had on the tank and side covers.

On the right are the V65 forks that will rake the front out 2 degrees.

Paint colors will be this hammered copper, bullitt green tank and side covers and texture black everything else. Cleaned up my rotor, which amazingly tested fine. Couple of other shots, nothing amazing.

I might add that the wiring harness was super gnarly and melted together, so I'm doing a custom harness with an M-Unit at the heart. Doubt I'll get it done before this riding season but I also plan on adding a dynacoil electronic ignition too. But thats where I'm at.

Started to mock it up. The stem/neck was a redneck job from hell... I'll get a proper spacer made up soon *more on this cluster fuck later*. Also replaced the neck and swing arm bearings and packed new grease into everything I could.

Attached Files
    Last edited by WarMullet; 04-20-2016, 3:53 PM. Reason: Updated Pics
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Those are GREAT bikes..... I like the Fs better... But the motor is the same.....

Nice work so far.......

Comment

• WarMullet
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
      Those are GREAT bikes..... I like the Fs better... But the motor is the same.....

Nice work so far.......
      Thanks brother, I'm putting it back together right now because I can't stand to miss another riding season. So I'll Have some more pics up soon.

Comment

• mojab78
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by WarMullet
        Thanks brother, I'm putting it back together right now because I can't stand to miss another riding season. So I'll Have some more pics up soon.
        Bikes looking great cant wait to see another cb900c all done up.

Comment

• WarMullet
          • Apr 2016

So I got some stuff reassembled this morning. My focus has been more maintenance and making sure that this thing is road worthy. So changing all of the fluids from the sub-trans and final drive were at the fore front of my mind since I know it hasn't been done since 1980... Along with that, and without doing a complete tear down, I cleaned and re-greased EVERYTHING. The final drive oil smells absolutely terrible... Spilled a bunch in my truck onto my seats ferrying it back and forth to work.

I've been pretty luck in that my job is more or less an on call deal, so I find a good amount of time to do college work, play with bike parts and do some independent research when I don't find projects to take on. Anyways, I went to pull the bearings and races from the swing arm but they were pristine. The bike only had 10K miles on it so I packed the shit out of them with grease and called it good. Lubed the shaft and all that jazz and primered of some rust. I keep telling myself that I'll do a proper paint job round winter, but I think I'm lying to myself.

So this project was more or less started because I wanted an aggresive stance and the stock forks weren't delivering with the -2 degree rake at the triple tree. Looking through the list of other bikes that shared a common neck diameter, I found that the V65 was a match. I know the V65 intimately, as it was my first bike and I got balls deep in it piecing it together. So I found a set of forks on fleabay for dirt cheap and opted to replace the seals and whatnot. Not that hard, but upon mating them to my frame I was bitch slapped with the realization that neck diameter does not imply that the neck length was the same. Fuck me..

After several hours of grinding with a dremel on the stem to neck it down so that the bearing sat where it needed to, about 4 inches lower, I was left with a ridiculous amount of space between the bearing and the lowest stem nut. I'm not proud of this, nor do I advocate utilizing the dark art of redneck wizardry, but I just started putting everything I could find as spacers to fill the gap... I fully intend to have a proper spacer made, because this didn't start out as a mickey mouse mad max flipper baby, but I want to ride this season... its been tooooo long since I've gotten a fix.

Anyways Ive got some pics of stuff mocked up, if nothing more than to make me feel like I'm nearing completion. Reality is I'm still waiting for rear shocks, tires and help with my stupid custom harness using the M-Unit V.2 and the M-Button accessory. On top of getting ready to move in a week. Thought it'd be easier to move a roller than carry 600 lbs of dead weight.

Last edited by WarMullet; 04-20-2016, 5:20 PM.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
            • Oct 2014

You could press the stem out of the triple trees from the old forks and put it in this one, that'd eliminate al the redneck wizardry.

Comment

• WarMullet
              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
              You could press the stem out of the triple trees from the old forks and put it in this one, that'd eliminate al the redneck wizardry.
              I didn't realize the stems were pressed. The v65 stem looked welded but I could be wrong. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• WarMullet
                • Apr 2016

Forgot to show you folks the god awful paint scheme the redneck had on this thing... Wasn't even clear coated. Little bit of fuel dribble jacked this thing up quickly.

Leading to the next question, this is a rattle can bike so will the rustolium fuel resistant clear hold up well enough or should I spend the $25 bucks for a can of the Eastwood poly clear coat?

Comment

• WarMullet
                  • Apr 2016

Finished smoothing the bondo over my tank where the emblems were. Should have taken some pics... Cuz it was painstakingly beautiful. Didn't much think of that. Used some good ole rustolium rust prohibiting black primer to hopefully kill that thin flash rust that plagues my tank after I clean it. Tomorrow I should be able to set sand and start shooting my metallic racing green. Hopefully it's as close to the Steve McQueen bullit green as I think it should be. Either way you get some more pics.

Also started sanding my rims. Holy Christ is that powder coat hard to get at in most areas. I just realized I havnt taken a pic of the wheels I'll be using so I'll shoot those tomorrow too. Anyways I figure if I can ruff up the surface e enough and get them clean I should be able to primer over that. Shouldn't need to get all of the powder coat off to paint over.

That's where I'm at folks. Check in later.

Comment

• WarMullet
                    • Apr 2016

So I painted the tank and it doesnt look half bad.

Clear Coat

It looks fucking good for a rattle job.

Until I tryed to move it and a box made the slightest contact with the still tacky clear coat... Just why...

Ok so I'm letting it dry and cure for the next few days, but how should I go about fixing these blemishes? Will 800 grit wet sand take just the fibers off without discoloring? Will I be able to just touch up with clear coat or is this beyond "repair"?

Extra points to those who respond.

Comment

• WarMullet
                      • Apr 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160425_194633[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1290026Heres what style rim I'm using. The silver accents are going to be painted copper and the rest of the rim will be texture black. And apparently photobucket hath decreed I fuck myself...
                      Last edited by WarMullet; 04-25-2016, 8:27 PM.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                        • Oct 2014

I'd try out wet sanding; assuming it's just some surface blemish (hard to tell from the pics), it should clean it up.

Comment

• PeteyD13
                          • Mar 2014

Good progress, bike looks cool. I like the 900c's a lot, they're way underrated imo. I rode one for a couple of seasons and was pretty happy with it. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• WarMullet
                            • Apr 2016

I a appreciate the encouragement. I havnt had a chance to enjoy this machine yet. Anyways here's where I'm at.

As I said before the silver bits were gonna be copper so I sprayed copper as the base and started taping to shoot the black.

The taping was a pain in the ass.

More tape

Finished result. My tape job wasn't perfect in some spots so some touchup is required before enamel.

Bullshit mock up to give myself warm and fuzzies.

Another one with my tank and seat mounted.

Forgot to show you my drag pipes. Probably going to cut them down some. Havnt decided if I'm going to keep the flair outs or cut them so their straight pipes. Suggestions?

These are the shocks replacing the air shocks. Nothing fancy.

I wraping the rims in 110/80zr-18 and 150/80ZR-16 Avon Storm 3Ds. I'll post my gauge and head lights soon. Moving into my new house this weekend so may be a hot second.

Comment

• MonoDeSuerte
                              • May 2016

Does the rear CB1000 final drive match up perfectly with the 900's drive shaft?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;