My first Bike build frame question. stretch and drop ?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • polishfarmer
    • Apr 2016

My first Bike build frame question. stretch and drop ?

Hey guys, Been rebuilding a 71 ironhead. Never road a bike or know much about them but I got a manual and a motor!

My question is regarding the frame. I've been looking at these david bird frames for about $300
    Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

and just wanted to know if there are any pros and cons regarding the frame stretch and drop ?

They have 3 options for stretch 2", 4" and 6"

and 4 options for drop 1" , 2 ", 3", 4"

I Understand the concept of stretch and drop but I don't understand the pros and cons over the different selections.

Is there any benefit to having a 6" stretch as opposed to 2" other than it gives you extra space around the oil tank?

and whats the deal with the drop? is it just going to make it lower to the ground? any benefit other than style/cosmetic?

I'm thinking a 6" stretch and a 2" drop for my selection.. but I've never sat on a bike so I dont know for sure what to go with.

I'm 6'2" 215 lbs
  • ncmc47
    • Oct 2012

My personal advice, if you have never ridden, find a stock bike and get some miles under your belt, lots of miles before riding anything raked or stretched or modified in any manner. The life you save maybe your own. Highly modified bikes are for highly experienced riders.

Comment

• polishfarmer
      • Apr 2016

not to be a dick but... thats a terrible answer... I kinda want to punch you in the face

the bike is basically going to be stock... except for the frame stretch and drop... These frames dont come with stock drop height and stretch length. I dont see what the big deal is... its not raked out or chopped or whatever.. or extreme in any way..

look i need a frame to slap this motor in. I'm doing a cheap as possible build. I dont see how a frame that is 6 inches longer or a few inches lower to the ground than stock is gonna throw me off or confuse me or whatever being a noob... That is not some "extreme highly modified bike"

david brids are the cheapest frames I can find. $300 bam... everything else is atleast double that.

I'm already $1500 in on this project. just got my heads and cylinders back from the machine shop.

but if you think I'm an idiot and insist that I put on some miles.. maybe ill put some miles on your wife.
      Last edited by polishfarmer; 04-18-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• reeb
        • Nov 2012

With your height you defenetly what a longer bike no pros or cons to the stretch other than getting it to fit you I'm short so I always go with a short stretch as far as drop pros a low bikes looks bitching cons ground clearance

Comment

• polishfarmer
          • Apr 2016

cool, thats what i was thinking but wasn't sure...

awesome really appreciate your answer. simple, sweet and to the point.

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

Rear stretch will straighten out the backbone line accordingly, and allow for moving the seat further back. Making a longer reach to bars and pegs. Sometimes necessitating pullback risers and such.
            Sprung saddles can bring the seat back up and forward as desired.

Drop raises the rear axle, lowering overall center of gravity (a good thing) and creating cornering clearance challenges (manageable to a point). Plan on raising pipes and foot controls to avoid scraping. At the very least, run folding pegs!
            Drop also makes ass to ground reach shorter, good for those with a limited inseam. Again seat choices matter here too.

Don't forget the front end rake and length are also factors here. Then there's up and out in the front loop to consider as well.
            Last edited by Sky; 04-18-2016, 12:11 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• polishfarmer
              • Apr 2016

interesting.

yeah I have really long legs and a knee problem, so I think 6" stretch might help with that.

so for the front end I don't think I wouldn't go past 2"under.. would 2" drop and 2" under front end create big cornering challenges? or would that still be minimal. 2" doesn't seem like alot in my mind.

but what do you mean by "good for the with limited inseam." and "up and out in the front loop" ?

also are there any cons to it being a bolt on frame and not welded? would it be wise to use thread lock on the bolts ?

thanks

Comment

• Sky
                • Aug 2009

Limited inseam = short guy
                Front loop = part of the frame that loops around the engine
                Up and out refer to stretch in the downtubes and the backbone
                Yes use lock tight and grade 8 fasteners. Hardtails tend to loosen fasteners.

Comment

• SlyJJ
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by polishfarmer
                  not to be a dick but... thats a terrible answer... I kinda want to punch you in the face

the bike is basically going to be stock... except for the frame stretch and drop... These frames dont come with stock drop height and stretch length. I dont see what the big deal is... its not raked out or chopped or whatever.. or extreme in any way..

look i need a frame to slap this motor in. I'm doing a cheap as possible build. I dont see how a frame that is 6 inches longer or a few inches lower to the ground than stock is gonna throw me off or confuse me or whatever being a noob... That is not some "extreme highly modified bike"

david brids are the cheapest frames I can find. $300 bam... everything else is atleast double that.

I'm already $1500 in on this project. just got my heads and cylinders back from the machine shop.

but if you think I'm an idiot and insist that I put on some miles.. maybe ill put some miles on your wife.
                  I like this guy.....

So yeah, ground clearance and inseam are going to be your pros and cons. If you like to tear up the twisties and corner a lot on your iron, you're going to make it more difficult by widening your wheel base and ground clearance. If that's not how you ride, then its really not an issue. If you are a taller rider, you may particularly like the stretch you're putting on your frame. It'll be like moving from coach to first class where you're not cramped up.

Then theres also the cosmetic thing- which is the heart of chops. Whatever looks sexy in your eyes.

As far as bolt on vs weld on, well that's relative. Nice part is if you don't like what you've done, its an easy switch or swap out. Con would be just slightly less integrity and just the cosmetic look of it. I'd say go with the bolt on and when you're sold on what you like, go ahead and get it welded in the future. I think you'll find that you may be eager to try lots of different setups as you see how each handles.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	too much.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1289869

Up and Out...... Probably handle like crap if it didn't have that Sugar Bear fork on it....
                    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• panheadpete
                      • Oct 2011

Go buy a cheap trail bike and learn to ride in a field - it may well save your life as your learn how to change gears and brake etc properly in a low consequence environment plus you'll know what's it like and what to do if your bike starts sliding in turns etc and how to steer out of trouble (look at the gap not the trees) - those skills will prove to be invaluable when you need them not if - and the same advice I offer everyone

If that advice makes you want to punch me in the face so be it but the previous advice by ncmc47 was sound but why listen to us that have been riding for 3+ decades on bikes from bone stock to fairly rad chops and still alive when you have never ridden yourself? And dont be such a disrespectful dick mentioning someone's wife when they have taken the time to try and offer you sage advice aimed at keeping you alive - at 6ft and 200lbs do you really need to prove you are a tough guy? I like this place as its about helping each other not threatening them and mentioning someone's ol lady like that is fucking disrespectful - talk like that in places where you'll ride your bike when its done and you may well get stomped or worse

Now that's out of the way whilst doing so continue to build your bike but understand its not going to be cheap especially all the nickle and dime parts but if you take your time those early sporties look great when done right - how about some pics?
                      Last edited by panheadpete; 04-18-2016, 6:32 PM.

Comment

• Keeleyvision
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by panheadpete
                        Go buy a cheap trail bike and learn to ride in a field - it may well save your life as your learn how to change gears and brake etc properly in a low consequence environment plus you'll know what's it like and what to do if your bike starts sliding in turns etc and how to steer out of trouble (look at the gap not the trees) - those skills will prove to be invaluable when you need them not if - and the same advice I offer everyone

If that advice makes you want to punch me in the face so be it but the previous advice by ncmc47 was sound but why listen to us that have been riding for 3+ decades on bikes from bone stock to fairly rad chops and still alive when you have never ridden yourself? And dont be such a disrespectful dick mentioning someone's wife when they have taken the time to try and offer you sage advice aimed at keeping you alive - at 6ft and 200lbs do you really need to prove you are a tough guy? I like this place as its about helping each other not threatening them and mentioning someone's ol lady like that is fucking disrespectful - talk like that in places where you'll ride your bike when its done and you may well get stomped or worse

Now that's out of the way whilst doing so continue to build your bike but understand its not going to be cheap especially all the nickle and dime parts but if you take your time those early sporties look great when done right - how about some pics?
                        My dad used to say "a hard head will make a sore ass every single time"

Comment

• Davestune
                          • May 2014

tossing money into a sportster, ur to big for a dirt bike that aint werth shit
                          Save up and buy a big twin

Comment

• polishfarmer
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Keeleyvision
                            My dad used to say "a hard head will make a sore ass every single time"

my dad used to say "if you have a soft heart you better have a hard ass"

hahahaha

Comment

• polishfarmer
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by panheadpete

NCMC basically told me to go fuck myself... yeah i get it, its a dangerous hobby. You are saying the same thing he said but are not being condescending about... which I can appreciate. I have no respect for peoples age or ego's... you can be a human thats helpful or one that puts up walls and gets in the way. I had a very specific question... but NCMC would have rather demonstrated his age and expertise by basically telling me i cant do something. I felt that maybe he was intimidated by the fact that I'm rebuilding my first bike with no knowledge and experience of ever being on a bike... and he'd rather scoff at me at talk to me like I'm 5 and he's my daddy...

whatever... dont have time for bullshit. Everybody else gave me badass straight answers. Old people piss me off when they exhibit superiority... age is the greatest delusion to strike mankind... now if NCMC would have said what he said and then added in addition the information the rest of the guys provided or at least not disregard my post entirely then this would be a different story...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;