Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phantom309
    • Sep 2012

Stripping Aluminum Parts

I have an early single cam Honda 750 in an AMEN Saviour frame. I'm looking to change up a few things after being on the road for four years. These bikes seem to have a protective film in their engine cases, and specifically the valve cover. This stuff (whatever it is) is turning a bit yellow, so I decided to try to clean it off, and polish the valve cover to a high luster. I can't get this crap off. I tried muratic acid, and a couple brands of paint stripper, yet it won't come off. Any ideas on some product that will get me down to the bare aluminum? Thanks in advance!
  • cggorman
    • Jan 2016

Aircraft stripper, blasting, or baking.

Comment

• CarloFreeze
      • Jun 2013

It's not a protective film, they were clear coated from the factory to protect the aluminum to keep it shiny. Of course 40 years has made it yellow. I've had excellent success with Aircraft stripper in an aerosol can. Sometimes you have to coat it, wash it, then coat and wash again to get it really clean, then polish to your hearts content.

Comment

• Phantom309
        • Sep 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll look into the aircraft stripper, and give it a try.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;