Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shortpork
    • Feb 2016

Is it worth rebuilding?

So im an idiot, fucked up big time. Got a vt800 brought it home took it apart, watched a vid on how these tanks were removed, did it how i thought the video said but fuel line disconnected and the shit hit the fan hard. A quartz work light was nearby and lit that shit up in like 10 seconds. Anyway, garage Sheetrock was torched but didnt burn down. Insurance paid all that shit paid me for the bike even. So now im sitting with a burnt bike, but it wasnt burnt terribly. The plastics were still there but partially melted obviously. Hoses didnt burn, some slightly melted.

Anyway i figure the motor is ok and only has 6000 miles so id love to rebuild it. was a fun bike to ride.

Ok so its sitting on my bench now, i ran a compression test. one cylinder held no compression, the other only 40lbs. So im ok with rebuilding the motor but im scared it may have got warped in the burn. Once the fuel burned off though there was nothing else burning around it. I cant imagine it was in direct flame very long.

Let me know what you think guys. Id appreciate any help.
  • shortpork
    • Feb 2016

Ok i take that back i got 30lbs on the first cylinder. Im doing this compression test by hand turning with a socket. I know Ive read about people doing this before but ive never done it myself. I dont know what i could be doing wrong but would getting more revolutions help? Like hook up an air ratchet to that bad boy and let her rip? Ive got everything oiled up as well. Thanks

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Most Japanese bike engines are not close to cost-effective to rebuild. I wouldn't worry much about a moderately hot external fire. (Put your work lights OFF THE FLOOR and invest in fire extinguishers, and I don't mean tiny ones!) You should perform a compression test by using the electric starter. Do not try to rotate the crankshaft to do that. The hardware on the ends of the shaft is not designed for that purpose.

A motorcycle is not more than money traded for metal. If the engine is damaged you could finish tearing it down for training which is a very good use of time, but I wouldn't put any money into it.

Why, exactly, did you take it apart in the first place?
      Post pics of crispy motorcycle for 33 hive mind evaluation. If the engine has no issues it the rest of the bike could be a fun project and not cost too much. Wiring and hose (use ethanol-resistant hose) are inexpensive.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
        • Jul 2013

Also need to check compression at wide open throttle

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Yup. me bad for not mentioning WOT. Maybe we need a sticky troubleshooting checklist thread.

Comment

• Twist1
            • Jan 2015

Damn! Glad you're alright and too bad you didn't video it..

Comment

• shortpork
              • Feb 2016

I took it apart because I took it out of the bike cause the bike was all crispy. The only thing I took apart was the cover plate. I'm out of town right now but I'll post some pics of the engine on Wednesday.

Ok test with starter engine, check.

I'd rather rebuild it cause I won't be able to find a low mile engine for any cheaper than rebuilding this one. And I'd like to tear it apart to learn what I can.

I'll do a wot electric start compression test and see what I get with that. Have to wait to get paid this Friday to buy a battery and shit.
              Appreciate all the replys guys! And thanks twist. I got a pic of the bike after it was burned, haven't developed the film yet though

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;