CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Lights with no battery and a magneto, I have none

I've done as much searching as I can stand and can't seem to find my answer. I have a kick only evo with a Morris magneto. My bike already had a cycle electric reg/rectifier back when I had a battery so it's not the "no battery" specific one. I have my headlight and taillight wired direct to the regulator output as to just come on when the bike fires. Well the bike cranks, my stator puts out great AC voltage , but no lights. So rigged in a 12v drill battery see if it was that, and with the battery inline it starts charging right up to 14v and when you disconnect it lights go right off. So what I gather is my reg wants to see 12v before it starts charging so here is my question

If I buy a capacitor or battery eleminator and it discharges when I crank my bike will it charge back up and run the lights? To me it doesn't seem like it will because there is no output from the regulator UNLESS it's sees voltage so if the capacitor is dead how will it know to start charging? I wast going to run one at all because I don't care about dim lights at idle. Any other suggestions ? Should I buy a diff regulator? Will the capacitor work?

Get Adobe Flash player

the regulator needs to see the capacitor load to produce output voltage for the lights. Right now, it essentially sees a fully charged battery and will not produce any voltage. It is simply shunting the voltage off as heat. The capacitor will never "die" or discharge, it simply tricks the regulator into producing output.

Get Adobe Flash player

now that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation I'll slap one on there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well I got a battery eliminator installed , still no charge , if you pull the plug at the alt it's making 30v AC I just can't seem to get the reg/rect to put out any DC voltage. It's a cycle electric regulator that was on this same motor in a diff bike with a battery and no magneto. Any ideas ? I've seen that cycle electric makes that "no battery regulator , do I need to buy that? Do I have to buy the 22amp stator to go with it? I'm pretty decent with electrical I don't think it's anything dumb I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance

Get Adobe Flash player

can you grab a battery and hook it up temporarily with test leads and see if its charging?
    how did you install the cap?

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes you need the 204NB (no battery) regulator and they need a 22amp stator. The regular 2xx regulators need a battery.

The Cycle Electric website spells it all out. You can call them as well but your exact setup is what they describe in the 204NB blurb...

The CE-204NB is specially tuned for use with no battery only with 22 amp stators. A battery eliminator must be used. A magneto is required for ignition.
    CE-203 1976-1980 All FL and FX Models With Battery Only
    CE-204 1981-1988 All FL and FX Models With Battery Only
    CE-204NB Custom For use with no battery and 22 amp stator Battery eliminator needed

Share This