CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Dewiring the FI Sportster

I've gotten several PMs about this, figure Ill post them here so hopefully someone can benefit from it.

When I took out the TPMS, I was doing a complete unfucking of what Harley did. Ditched everything not needed to run and it worked well, aside from my shitty connections (do yourself a favor, make damn sure your connections are 100%!!!)

I did this over a weekend with the bike in the living room, and used the stock harness with my redactions.

In the end, I ditched the speedo, horn, blinkers, one tail light (and the other was an LED aftermarket deal) and swapped the headlight to LED with its own controller. I only kept the ignition switch and added a solenoid push button to start it. The tail lights, headlight and horn can be retained if you want to find a place for a horn button and loose the high beam (or hide a switch for that too.). You could also possibly find a way to keep a push button start, but I didnt care and I was budget minded. If I were to do it over, Id put a toggle for the headlight either in the bucket or the visor along with a push button for starting.

If you do this, you can either get new lever mounts for the handlebars or do what I did and hand file the stockers down.

Pics might not be too big, but you can get an idea for most of this.

Stock clusterfuck

What I paired it down to:

I believe everything with a "?" I ended up grounding.

I also did this in my living room over a weekend with the harness still in the bike. If I had to do it over, Id label everything then pull the harness and open it up on a nice large flat surface. I also had some wires that needed to be drastically shortened (but I didnt) and others needed to be lengthened, so be prepared.

LED headlight I used

Side view with different headlight that sucked

Last edited by REV; 03-20-2016 at 9:39 PM.

When I did this with my '88, I printed the diagram across several pages, taped it on my garage wall, and started marking things off. I was amazed by how much you can get rid of.

I used a car style ignition from a marine application to handle starting.

Share This