Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iamcornelius
    • Jul 2014

HD Bars on a CB Question

There's got to be some way I can't think of as to how to get HD bars on a CB.
    I'd like to think it's as easy as buying a new triple tree specifically for this...or there's an old HD top triple tree that will fit the bill for me.
    What about some kind of mod on the stock CB triple tree to make a spot where two holes could be drilled for the HD bars?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by iamcornelius
    There's got to be some way I can't think of as to how to get HD bars on a CB.
    I'd like to think it's as easy as buying a new triple tree specifically for this...or there's an old HD top triple tree that will fit the bill for me.
    What about some kind of mod on the stock CB triple tree to make a spot where two holes could be drilled for the HD bars?
    Yep you figured it out..... Swap the handle bar clamp and your set.... Now get your ass to work....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 03-17-2016, 2:34 PM.

Comment

• iamcornelius
      • Jul 2014

'73-'81 HD XL ironheads had 35mm forks - does anyone have a measurement for fork spacing, or a tip where to go for that info?

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

'73-'81 HD XL ironheads had 35mm forks - does anyone have a measurement for fork spacing, or a tip where to go for that info?
        You don't have to change the forks unless you want to????? Just the risers....

Comment

• iamcornelius
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Tattooo
          You don't have to change the forks unless you want to????? Just the risers....
          I'll definitely keep my CB forks, and I'm hoping to only change the top clamp.
          But on my CB, the forks, when mounted, are 192mm apart from center to center.

So what is that measurement on a '73-'81 ironhead?

I've looked around and haven't seen a resource with fork spacing lists for lots of different models of bikes.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

I'll definitely keep my CB forks, and I'm hoping to only change the top clamp.
            But on my CB, the forks, when mounted, are 192mm apart from center to center.

So what is that measurement on a '73-'81 ironhead?

I've looked around and haven't seen a resource with fork spacing lists for lots of different models of bikes.
            If no one lets you know here on CC... I would but I don't have any to measure..... I would look at ebay and if you see some for sale send them an email and ask them to measure then for you..... It's that easy...

Comment

• Jasonisdico
              • May 2010

Are the risers molded into the top clamp? If so, you could always run a straight piece of 7/8" and a pair of dog bone risers with 7/8" on the bottom clamp and 1" on top. That'll get you to whatever bars you want. And you can run the dogbones inside the risers on your tree to narrow it up.

It not just the spacing of a Harley top tree that has to work, it's also the offset from the stem to the fork tubes. You may get lucky, but it's highly unlikely. Your other option is to have a top clamp drawn up in CAD, and then waterjet cut out. I know a guy that can get you dialed in if you need. That's not exactly a cheap option though.

Comment

• iamcornelius
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Jasonisdico
                Are the risers molded into the top clamp? If so, you could always run a straight piece of 7/8" and a pair of dog bone risers with 7/8" on the bottom clamp and 1" on top. That'll get you to whatever bars you want. And you can run the dogbones inside the risers on your tree to narrow it up.

It not just the spacing of a Harley top tree that has to work, it's also the offset from the stem to the fork tubes. You may get lucky, but it's highly unlikely. Your other option is to have a top clamp drawn up in CAD, and then waterjet cut out. I know a guy that can get you dialed in if you need. That's not exactly a cheap option though.
                Those are the ideas I was looking for!
                Risers on the CB are molded into the clamp, I'll take a look this evening.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Those are the ideas I was looking for!
                  Risers on the CB are molded into the clamp, I'll take a look this evening.
                  It really helps when you ask a question and also give some in site of what your working with???? Like a pic.... Knowing that the risers are made to the top tree would have helped a lot......

Comment

• rigidchop
                    • Feb 2011

Lowridersbysummers.com has the top clamp you need.

Comment

• iamcornelius
                      • Jul 2014

Oh by the way if the bike in your avatar is your bike? It's not bad but you need to work on your rear fender..... It looks like a dirt bike...
                      That's the only thing that bugs me, the rear fender. I agree it needs to be cut down. Once I have it finished it's the first thing on my list - and then this HD bars fuck-around.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

That's the only thing that bugs me, the rear fender. I agree it needs to be cut down. Once I have it finished it's the first thing on my list - and then this HD bars fuck-around.

That's awesome.... At least you have a good eye....

Comment

• iamcornelius
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by rigidchop
                          Lowridersbysummers.com has the top clamp you need.
                          Thanks I'm going to check that out and send Tommy a message.

Comment

• iamcornelius
                            • Jul 2014

That's awesome.... At least you have a good eye....
                            I ride in all weather and live on the west coast...so i can't cut it too short!

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                              • May 2010

Didn't even look at that pic. Yeah, fix that fender situation for sure. And wrangle in those damn wires!

And if it was mine, I'd slide that tank a little further up the backbone, trim that front fender a bit, and ditch the fork boots. They look too scrunched to me. Just my .02

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;