CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1

    Default HD Bars on a CB Question

    There's got to be some way I can't think of as to how to get HD bars on a CB.
    I'd like to think it's as easy as buying a new triple tree specifically for this...or there's an old HD top triple tree that will fit the bill for me.
    What about some kind of mod on the stock CB triple tree to make a spot where two holes could be drilled for the HD bars?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamcornelius View Post
    There's got to be some way I can't think of as to how to get HD bars on a CB.
    I'd like to think it's as easy as buying a new triple tree specifically for this...or there's an old HD top triple tree that will fit the bill for me.
    What about some kind of mod on the stock CB triple tree to make a spot where two holes could be drilled for the HD bars?
    Yep you figured it out..... Swap the handle bar clamp and your set.... Now get your ass to work....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 03-17-2016 at 2:34 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    '73-'81 HD XL ironheads had 35mm forks - does anyone have a measurement for fork spacing, or a tip where to go for that info?

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamcornelius View Post
    '73-'81 HD XL ironheads had 35mm forks - does anyone have a measurement for fork spacing, or a tip where to go for that info?
    You don't have to change the forks unless you want to????? Just the risers....

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    You don't have to change the forks unless you want to????? Just the risers....
    I'll definitely keep my CB forks, and I'm hoping to only change the top clamp.
    But on my CB, the forks, when mounted, are 192mm apart from center to center.

    So what is that measurement on a '73-'81 ironhead?

    I've looked around and haven't seen a resource with fork spacing lists for lots of different models of bikes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamcornelius View Post
    I'll definitely keep my CB forks, and I'm hoping to only change the top clamp.
    But on my CB, the forks, when mounted, are 192mm apart from center to center.

    So what is that measurement on a '73-'81 ironhead?

    I've looked around and haven't seen a resource with fork spacing lists for lots of different models of bikes.
    If no one lets you know here on CC... I would but I don't have any to measure..... I would look at ebay and if you see some for sale send them an email and ask them to measure then for you..... It's that easy...

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Are the risers molded into the top clamp? If so, you could always run a straight piece of 7/8" and a pair of dog bone risers with 7/8" on the bottom clamp and 1" on top. That'll get you to whatever bars you want. And you can run the dogbones inside the risers on your tree to narrow it up.

    It not just the spacing of a Harley top tree that has to work, it's also the offset from the stem to the fork tubes. You may get lucky, but it's highly unlikely. Your other option is to have a top clamp drawn up in CAD, and then waterjet cut out. I know a guy that can get you dialed in if you need. That's not exactly a cheap option though.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonisdico View Post
    Are the risers molded into the top clamp? If so, you could always run a straight piece of 7/8" and a pair of dog bone risers with 7/8" on the bottom clamp and 1" on top. That'll get you to whatever bars you want. And you can run the dogbones inside the risers on your tree to narrow it up.

    It not just the spacing of a Harley top tree that has to work, it's also the offset from the stem to the fork tubes. You may get lucky, but it's highly unlikely. Your other option is to have a top clamp drawn up in CAD, and then waterjet cut out. I know a guy that can get you dialed in if you need. That's not exactly a cheap option though.
    Those are the ideas I was looking for!
    Risers on the CB are molded into the clamp, I'll take a look this evening.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamcornelius View Post
    Those are the ideas I was looking for!
    Risers on the CB are molded into the clamp, I'll take a look this evening.
    It really helps when you ask a question and also give some in site of what your working with???? Like a pic.... Knowing that the risers are made to the top tree would have helped a lot......

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Lowridersbysummers.com has the top clamp you need.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Oh by the way if the bike in your avatar is your bike? It's not bad but you need to work on your rear fender..... It looks like a dirt bike...
    That's the only thing that bugs me, the rear fender. I agree it needs to be cut down. Once I have it finished it's the first thing on my list - and then this HD bars fuck-around.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamcornelius View Post
    That's the only thing that bugs me, the rear fender. I agree it needs to be cut down. Once I have it finished it's the first thing on my list - and then this HD bars fuck-around.

    That's awesome.... At least you have a good eye....

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rigidchop View Post
    Lowridersbysummers.com has the top clamp you need.
    Thanks I'm going to check that out and send Tommy a message.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    That's awesome.... At least you have a good eye....
    I ride in all weather and live on the west coast...so i can't cut it too short!

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Didn't even look at that pic. Yeah, fix that fender situation for sure. And wrangle in those damn wires!

    And if it was mine, I'd slide that tank a little further up the backbone, trim that front fender a bit, and ditch the fork boots. They look too scrunched to me. Just my .02

  16. #16

    Default

    calm down guys that pic was from the weekend shake down ride - it's all torn apart again now for paint, and then re-assembly and properly wire.
    build thread is below
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44296

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Yep your best bet is to get one of tommys's top trees. Tommy is a great resource for these old hondas.

    I run a gl1100 front for and I managed to drill out the bar clamps with a 1" bit in a cordless drill. Put a thin washer between the two halves to space it for clamping force. If you have the bit it's a free mod, there was just enough meat there to drill it out, never tried with a stock cb tree though.

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in