CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default newbie bike builder wanna b seeks info

Hello , I plan on building my 1st. bike ever! 79 xs650 yamaha...I love the look of a springer front end,but I have no idea if or what is involved in fitment to said bike, basically will it fit stock frame or are mods necessary? Also..bike i plan on getting has disc brake in rear w/alum.spoke rim can this be changed to drum brake while keeping the rim? which are better motor early or late with electric start? would like to do PMA w/ rephase, is it really worth the money?lots more questions to come, thanks for your patience

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by roadstar06 View Post
    Hello , I plan on building my 1st. bike ever! 79 xs650 yamaha...I love the look of a springer front end,but I have no idea if or what is involved in fitment to said bike, basically will it fit stock frame or are mods necessary? Also..bike i plan on getting has disc brake in rear w/alum.spoke rim can this be changed to drum brake while keeping the rim? which are better motor early or late with electric start? would like to do PMA w/ rephase, is it really worth the money?lots more questions to come, thanks for your patience
    Do a lot of reading on your own..... You will learn more that way and you won't get slanted views........

roger that! been reading so much my eyes hurt..lol thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Do a lot of reading on your own..... You will learn more that way and you won't get slanted views........
    Quoted for truth!

The objective of chopping is not merely to own the shiny object, but to gain profound and ever-growing understanding of how it works, how you can make it suit you, and what to avoid so you need not repeat the mistakes of others.

There are many forums to explore.

Get Adobe Flash player

All those things you can do. Hell, you can do anything you want with a bike, but it all depends on how much time, effort, and $$$ you wanna put in the project. That said, there are some really rad bikes out there that were chopped for under a grand, granted that doesn't include purchasing the tools or having the skills to do it...

Typically, a lot of springers are designed for Harley-Davidson's. You can find repops for other bikes as well, but they all tend to cost quite a bit of money. With XS650s, guys who run springers often have custom frames, replace the neck tube to fit the springer, or mod a springer by cutting off the steering stem and welding on one from an XS650. Additionally you could always try to find someone to custom build one for you, but, again, that's expensive and takes the fun out of choppin.

Also, if your alternator's in good condition, you can run points and that'll work fine, but the XS's major flaw was its charging system. From what I've seen, most guys now run a PMA with a Pamco ignition. It doesn't pull as much juice from the battery and is ultimately more reliable. You can even go batteryless with this set up if you want depending on what you're running on the bike. My charging system was shot, so I opted for the PMA rather than purchasing a brand new stator and relying on more antiquated bits.

You can run a drum brake an XS drum brake in those rims as long as you have the appropriate length spokes, but I think the '79 came with mags stock...? Drum brakes are slower to respond too if that's a concern of yours.

Lastly, there are a few differences between the early 256 engines and the later 447 (these are the first three numbers of their VINs). One example is the clutch pushrod in the early bikes was a single piece rod. In the later models, this was modified to two, shorter rods, articulate by a bearing in the middle. All in all, the engines are essentially the same with no huge differences.

What you really should do is create an account over at XS650.com or 650rider.com. There's A LOT of really good advice from the senior members over there, and you'll find better resources for that specific bike than you will on Chop Cult. Anyway, I've said enough. Take your time, and keep doing your research. You'll figure out what you've got to do.

I believe if you go check out all balls website, there is a section with charts cross-referencing what bike you have and what forks you want to use.
    It then gives you some info on what bearings to use.
    https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

Anyone want to chime in on this?

If that's how it works, I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to get a springer on your bike.

hey thanks alot guys! there is a company that makes the springer to fit stock frame, and only cost 500$ black powdercoat if i remember correctly, tc bros sell em, New Q: guy sold the 79 i had in mind> found a motor on cl 350$ and a frame on ebay> I live in Jersey... do the motor and frame both need titles or only the frame???

Share This