biltwell whiskey throttle problems...got any tips?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldschoolhdmike
    • Nov 2014

biltwell whiskey throttle problems...got any tips?

i have used a whisky throttle on all my builds which has been 4 and just got my first single cable one. i have done everything i know to do but it binds up constantly.... i have taken all of the powdercoat of the bars, i have even put a light dab of grease on the bars. if i tighten the screws down all the way to close up the gap on the housing it doesnt move at all.....this is the first time i have had issues with one of these and its driving me nuts....it was a brand new throttle.....any help would be appreciated.....ill would go take some pics and upload them but i dont think it would help. the only thing i have thought of is i am using a gold cable barrel that came with my throttle cable and usually i use the oem silver one, but i dont have one handy.....
  • Blackbetty
    • Apr 2011

I've had to take some fine sandpaper to the edges of the cable guide at the sleeve before.

Have also had to file out the inside of the sleeve a bit to get smooth snappy operation.

Try to isolate where it's rubbing and focus on that.

I usually rub some motor oil on the bar before I put the sleeve on.

Comment

• oldschoolhdmike
      • Nov 2014

it is definately the housing it is binding up on somehow. i took the cable and everything out and mounted it on the bars.....it works until you tighten it up. complete locks up.....

but it does seem to be ok put together not on the bars. hard to tell because it is loose in there. i have noticed that the housing halves do not match up perfectly when bolted up.....very slightly off......
      Last edited by oldschoolhdmike; 03-14-2016, 4:05 PM.

Comment

• humancertainty
        • Mar 2014

I lubed mine with assembly lubricant. That did the trick for me.

Comment

• oldschoolhdmike
          • Nov 2014

always do that too.....

i have machined down the barrel holder on the sleeve on my lathe to give it more clearance inside the housing....still binds....this is all still without the cable even hooked up. i have to loosen the nuts back almost to falling out for it to move any......

Comment

• oldschoolhdmike
            • Nov 2014

i took the biltwell sleeve out and put in a plastic sleeve and it does the same thing on that sleeve. its not like it is sticking or grabbing in one area. not even all the way tight to the bars it is locked wherever you have it.

Comment

• jrhamilton80
              • Sep 2009

How does the sleeve turn in the housing while off the handlebars with the bolts tightened down?

Comment

• hellbilly1932
                • Aug 2009

Did you try another throttle assembly on those bars? I've found a wide variation in finished diameter of bars before, some are closer to metric size which screws with throttle fitment and grips. Just a thought, not all bars are created equal.

Comment

• jsaz666
                  • Mar 2015

I have a used one, and I had to clearance the whole inside of the cable guide with a dremel, as the diameter of the bars Iare were just a shade over 1". Works fantastic now!

Comment

• hellbilly1932
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jsaz666
                    I have a used one, and I had to clearance the whole inside of the cable guide with a dremel, as the diameter of the bars Iare were just a shade over 1". Works fantastic now!
                    Exactly what I was getting at. Had to do the same on one with a slightly oversized set of bars.

Comment

• jsaz666
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by hellbilly1932
                      Exactly what I was getting at. Had to do the same on one with a slightly oversized set of bars.
                      I wrestled with the issue and could not figure out what the hell was wrong. I put some thin spacers between the 2 halves and it worked great, but it didn't hold to the handlebar. That is when the light bulb went off and I grabbed the dremel. Problem solved.

Comment

• reeb
                        • Nov 2012

Is it binding when it's bolted together when not on the handle bars? I had this problem with mine just get some valve grinding compound squirt that shit in the throttle like Ron Jeremy and go to town working the throttle back and forth

Comment

• OakBehringer
                          • May 2011

I'm having this happen to myself, too. Single cable version, brand new. Exact same description... works fine if bolted together OFF the bars, but once I tighten it ON the bars, it binds up (even without any cables on it). Fuckin bullshit. Happening on a custom set of bars built by SlimsFabFarm (powder coated black), as well as a set of Biltwell Zeds (chrome - same brand - you think they'd work!). Tomorrow I get my Pangea Zephyr's in the mail, if it ALSO happens on those, I'm going to be pretty annoyed. You drop a hundo on a throttle you shouldn't have to spend hours machining it to get it work.

Maybe something is up with their casting process, as of lately.

Comment

• oldschoolhdmike
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by OakBehringer
                            I'm having this happen to myself, too. Single cable version, brand new. Exact same description... works fine if bolted together OFF the bars, but once I tighten it ON the bars, it binds up (even without any cables on it). Fuckin bullshit. Happening on a custom set of bars built by SlimsFabFarm (powder coated black), as well as a set of Biltwell Zeds (chrome - same brand - you think they'd work!). Tomorrow I get my Pangea Zephyr's in the mail, if it ALSO happens on those, I'm going to be pretty annoyed. You drop a hundo on a throttle you shouldn't have to spend hours machining it to get it work.

Maybe something is up with their casting process, as of lately.
                            biltwell sent me a new one. no issues with it. email biltwell from their site and they will send you one under warranty...

Comment

• OakBehringer
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by oldschoolhdmike
                              biltwell sent me a new one. no issues with it. email biltwell from their site and they will send you one under warranty...
                              Will do, thanks man!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;