Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • section8joe
    • Sep 2009

home made dog bone torque adapter

I'm going to make a home made dog bone torque adapter. I know that if I use the dog bone at a 90 degree angle I can simply use the torque wrench to desired specs without using any math. will this hold true with any length of dog bone?
  • Keeleyvision
    • Aug 2015

no, eventually added leverage vs material give is going to come into play, the longer you make it the more torque will be eaten up across the spine of the dog bone, thats why the store bought adapters are always very short, with a thick spine.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
      • Apr 2010

Wisely put, and now section8joe, you know.
      Originally posted by Keeleyvision
      no, eventually added leverage vs material give is going to come into play, the longer you make it the more torque will be eaten up across the spine of the dog bone, thats why the store bought adapters are always very short, with a thick spine.

Comment

• boomboomthump
        • Oct 2013

How long are you planning to make it? What material? How thick? Lastly, for what purpose?

Just trying to understand why you want to do this vs a commercially available one where you won't have to worry about these concerns. I have torque adapters from the really stubby ones to 3" long ones. When used at 90*, there is no concern since the length of torque pivot is not increasing. If you are making a longer one then as Keeleyvision mentioned, you have to be concerned with how rigid the adapter is and its ability to maintain the 90* angle.

Comment

• section8joe
          • Sep 2009

It's going to be only a maybe 2 inches long. I'm going to use it on my base nuts and I may make another for my head bolts if I can't get my torque wrench to fit. I will be using a few old 12point box end wrenches and a few old sockets.

Comment

• boomboomthump
            • Oct 2013

Gotcha. Same reason I have my Armstrong and Snap-on ones. I was thinking you wanted to make something much longer for some reason.

Just seems like something easier bought (you can get good deals on eBay for used ones) than the time/effort to make them but I wouldn't be concerned based on your last comments.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;