X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CharlesW
    • Mar 2016

19 in rear wheel (again)

Hi,

first time poster and new member. been lurking around for inspiration to my 2002 sportster build.
    Ideally Wanted to have an XR750 but they are a bit outside my budget.
    SO amongst other things I have decided to put an OEM sportster rim on my rear hub. To get 19 front and back.
    Now i have heard from many different sources and all say go to buchanan but i am trying to get this done on a budget and to learn something in the process, so trying to avoid that route.

I have found this on eBay.

I am wondering if that would work.
    Will the standard spokes for a front hub work when lacing it up to a rear hub?

I know this is a question thats been asked many time but i can't find an answer as to spoke length and/or if just using front rim and front spokes with rear hub would work.

If anyone could let me know it would be much appreciated!

thanks

c.
  • alex54
    • Dec 2012

Hello,

I put this 19 inches wheel on my hardtailed sportster.

It is a Mid USA 19 inches rim on wide hub with double flanges (I bought it new, to a dealer here in France, 250 euros in France so i think you can find vit very cheaper in USA).
    This front wheel is designed to be mount on the front wide fork of a softail I think (double flange because double front disk).
    You just need to redrill each sides (different sizes) to mount the belt pulley, and the rear disk on the other side.
    the size of the hub is EXACTLY the same as the sportster rear hub.
    The size of the rim is 3.00x19 ...

So it is cheaper and very easier than mounting a front rm on a rear original hub...
    And all is new...
    think about it

Comment

• CharlesW
      • Mar 2016

alex54 – interseting. I might look into that. puaghco is selling a similar thing.
      that whole idea though is to lace my first wheel. thats why i would like to know about the spoke length required. But I could probably use the same rim and same spokes then and mount it to my rear hub.
      Have you got a part number that I could look at? Very nice bike btw. What tires are you running on it?

Comment

• alex54
        • Dec 2012

i will look tonight on the bill if there is a part number reference

OOps Edit: it is not 3*19, but 2.5*19 of course (like a front Sportster rims).
        This is a link to a french dealer: http://www.bikers-store.fr/roue-avan...le=1036&page=1

The ref: MW/36-445
        Old MidWest reference, now the company is named MidUSA

My tire is a 4*19 Avon mk2 rear tire. the fender is a LowBrow Manta Ray 4 inches wide (all going well together), and the sissy is home made LOL
        Last edited by alex54; 03-07-2016, 9:03 AM.

Comment

• pedrodeleon
          • Feb 2012

I don't remember who but another member on here laced a 19" front rim to his rear hub with the same spokes awhile ago so I'd think they work but I've never done it. I always prefer to use new spokes whenever I lace a wheel. You can buy just the spokes from Buchanan's for around $120 with stainless nipples and spokes but I'm sure you can find them in chrome from Taiwan for less. I'd just prefer to use an American company making a good quality product, especially on my rear wheel that's getting all the torque from starting and stopping. Here's the link to the spoke kits from Buchanan's http://www.buchananspokes.com/produc...y_davidson.asp
          Just scroll down to spoke kits for 1997-2012 Aluminum Spool Hubs then scroll down to the selections for 19" shallow or deep drop center rims depending on which rim you use. Have fun lacing your first wheel! It's not as difficult as people seem to think. Just follow the patter and take your time. Get a factory service manual for your year sportster and it shows you exactly how to do it. Here's my sporty with an 18" rim I laced to my rear hub with spokes from Buchanan's. Untitled

Comment

• JohnnyToostroke
            • Jun 2017

Trying to do this same thing. Did you ever figure out a spoke length?

Comment

• Sep 2012

19" rear wheel

I laced a 19" Sportster front rim to a dual flange hub a couple of years back. The Sportster rim is 2.15". I found the stainless spokes on EBay. I am running a 4.00 X 19 rear tire. Click image for larger version

Name:	Evilution 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1296786

Comment

• Roolis
                • Apr 2019

Hi, very nice shape of the bike. I want exact the same 18' rear wheel. Could you be so kind to tell exact what you used to build that wheel including what tyre ? That would save me hell of the time.

PLEASE PLEASE

Originally posted by pedrodeleon
                I don't remember who but another member on here laced a 19" front rim to his rear hub with the same spokes awhile ago so I'd think they work but I've never done it. I always prefer to use new spokes whenever I lace a wheel. You can buy just the spokes from Buchanan's for around $120 with stainless nipples and spokes but I'm sure you can find them in chrome from Taiwan for less. I'd just prefer to use an American company making a good quality product, especially on my rear wheel that's getting all the torque from starting and stopping. Here's the link to the spoke kits from Buchanan's http://www.buchananspokes.com/produc...y_davidson.asp
                Just scroll down to spoke kits for 1997-2012 Aluminum Spool Hubs then scroll down to the selections for 19" shallow or deep drop center rims depending on which rim you use. Have fun lacing your first wheel! It's not as difficult as people seem to think. Just follow the patter and take your time. Get a factory service manual for your year sportster and it shows you exactly how to do it. Here's my sporty with an 18" rim I laced to my rear hub with spokes from Buchanan's. Untitled

Comment

• beerslave
                  • Nov 2014

TC Bros sells a 19 sportster rear wheel, they come back in stock 2/20/20. I recently laced a 19 x 2.5 rim to a dual flange hub and am running a 19 x 4.00 tire, but for the price of the hub/spokes/and a rim your probably better off just buying the tc bro wheel unless you have the parts laying around.

Chrome Rear Tracker Wheel 40 spoke 19"x 2.5" Fits Sportster 1982-2003 (3/4" diameter wheel bearings). This is the only 19"x2.5" wheel on the market for Sportsters. This will enable you to run flat track style tires on your Harley.   If you are installing this on a 2000-2003 Sportster you will need to use a 1999-older s

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;