Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeanutHead
    • Nov 2011

The bracket system I came up with last night was going to be too tall to fit inside the fairing. So I scrapped it and finally came up with one that worked! I do have to make some minor adjustments to aim the light correctly but I'm very happy with it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0508200039~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1318207

Comment

• PeanutHead
      • Nov 2011

So the wife and her best friend had a "Fancy tea party" for all our kids (total 5, ages 1-4). So i spent all day in the garage. Took me a while but its finally done! Well, the custom console/cluster that is.

Name:	IMG_20200509_225109_512.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1318254

Name:	IMG_20200509_225109_513.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1318255
      Last edited by PeanutHead; 05-09-2020, 9:04 PM.

Comment

• Hatchet54
        • Sep 2012

Cherry!

Comment

• dowood1
          • May 2019

Interesting build , looks like it’s being built to cover some serious miles

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

Suzuki gauge looks great in there!
            The rest of your proportions are a little wonky.
            That's a small bike.
            All that fuel is unnecessary and quite frankly going to be top heavy (when full) for the little machine.
            Not too late to source a smaller tank!
            Maybe something off a dirt bike that will mimic the look of the fairing.

One of my early rides was a stripped down, hardtailed KZ400.
            Front fender on the rear and a tiny peanut tank.
            I could bench press that bike!
            Rode her every day and still only had to visit the gas station once a week.

Comment

• PeanutHead
              • Nov 2011

Sky, I put the 5gal tank on the shelf for now. What's on her now is the stock tank. Now that you've put the idea of following the lines of the fairing, a Suzuki GS tank might flow better.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                • Nov 2011

I need to keep reminding myself to "K.I.S.S." (Keep it simple, stupid), well, for the most part. No pictures yet but last night I mounted the rear fender 100%. I used existing holes on the fender and had steel tabs I was gonna use as tank mounts that worked perfectly. Then I made an L bracket for the rear mount. After the boys go to bed, I'll snap some pictures.

I'm home alone with my 1 & 3 year olds because the wife had to go home for a family emergency (grandpa has cancer) so i might not have a lot of updates, AND I'll be back to work full time in 2 weeks too.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                  • Nov 2011

Tonight was supposed to be the night I started wiring the 440 up but the kinda didn't happen. I installed everything back into the cluster, with their respected harnesses, pulled out the stock harness and the wiring diagram. And that's where my night ended. The colors don't match, so out came all the stock switches and such. And that's when i called it a night. I don't have the patience or time tonight to sort that all out.

Name:	0517200012.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1318465
                  Oh, and the battery is to big too.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                    • Nov 2011

I had completely forgot that I had downloaded the repair manual and that had the correct diagram. I now have a slight problem. Since I want to clean up the the bars and have very little on them, what kinda problems will I have eliminating the distance sensor, self cancelling turn signal switch (replacing it with just a turn signal switch), and kill switch? Heres the harness.Click image for larger version

Name:	kawasaki-kz440-wiring-diagram-wiring-diagram-data-schema.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1318514

Comment

• MrJ
                      • May 2015

No issues chopping it out from what I remember. You can run the earlier style switch pod with a little rewiring too.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                        • Nov 2011

Lunch time update. Last night I spent most of the time cleaning up my work table/toolbox top. After that, I modified the stock air box by cutting off the bottom half. Installed an aluminum plate on the bottom to seal it up. I don't wanna mess around with Pod filters and rejetting the carbs (unless it comes to that) since I have the "sought after snot box" that holds the stock air filter. I found the blank points cover I took off the blown motor that I wanna do something with. I used a little polish on it and decided a brushed look would be better. Today while my boys ate lunch (more like threw their food tobthe dogs) I used 320 grit to dull it up.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200520_135827.jpg
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	1318592
                        Last edited by PeanutHead; 05-20-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                          • Nov 2011

Little but more progress today. My new battery came in so I started on the battery box modifications. If I just left it alone, I was worried that if I hit a bump hard enough I would damage the battery box. I cut about an inch out of the sides. Here it is mocked up.

Name:	0520202335~2.jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1318596
                          Tomorrow i think I'm gonna remove a few tabs on the box and add the mounts for the new fuse box.
                          Last edited by PeanutHead; 05-20-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                            • Nov 2011

Last night I welded the bottom of the battery box and test fit the battery. I knew it was gonna be too small, so luckily I had saved some toolbox foam. I cut it to fit around the whole battery but it was too much. So off came some. Then I placed it inside the frame. Tonight I'll be installing the mounts for the fuse box, CDI, flasher, and turn signal box.

Name:	079.jpg
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	1318623

Name:	080.jpg
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	1318624
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by PeanutHead; 05-22-2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                              • Nov 2011

Wish me luck y'all. About to tear into this harness and slim it down. Hope I don't fuck anything up.

Name:	IMG_20200530_215328_454.jpg
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	1318795

Comment

• PeanutHead
                                • Nov 2011

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been busy with work and life so Rusty got pushed to the back burner. A few days ago I fired her up and let her warm up for about 15 mins. She still backfired a bit so I decided to feel the exhaust to see if both cylinders were firing. Cyl 1 (left) was not! Ordered a New coil and waited for it to get here. Once it arrived I I installed it........same thing. She only ran on Cyl 2 (right). Switched plugs, no change but both plugs showed good spark. So I think I might need a new governor-breaker and or pulsing coil (showed some rust on it). Or so I thought.

Well, after looking up more parts, and sleeping on it, I switch out the spark plugs for shits and giggles. Just a stupid, bad spark plug was the problem!!!!!! So I took Rusty out for a shake down run and she got up to 50mph in 4th gear!! Damn this little thing is fun! I did, however, find out that the cylinder head is leaking but not surprising since it was sitting a while.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;