Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sugarcubes
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by SaddleTramp98
    So bad news I bought and Accelerator pump kit from the only place I could find it, and they cancelled my order today and said it was out of production. This was a V-twin manufacturing part that I ordered so I'm guessing it's no longer made.

I already drilled the hole for the new pump so will my carb work as is or do I need to plug that hole I drilled? or does anybody know where I can get a accelerator pump that will work.
    I believe Andrews previously made the kit and V-twin may have copied it. Andrews show it as discontinued on their site but you could try Dennis Kirk or JP cycles to see if they have any of them or the Vtwin version.

Some folk remove the choke plate and shaft that's in the mouth of the carb and plug the shaft hole. That removes some of the obstruction in the air passageway, equivalent to having a 2mm larger carb if you believe the performance books. Leave the choke cable and linkage intact, so you still have a fast idle option while it's warming up.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
      • Apr 2020

I've looked up both the V-twin part and the Andrew's, using parts numbers and just " Andrew's accelerator pump kit" or " Vtwin manufacturing Keihin accelerator pump kit" pretty much everywhere including J&P and Dennis Kirk, Ebay, Amazon. All I get it is "Sold out" or "out of production". I dont believe it's coming back either.

I'm just gonna try to see if the stock accelerator pump will work with the hole I drilled. if not I'll JB weld it and just run it with the stock accelerator pump cover.

I don't plan on removing the choke plate I'm not looking for performance. I just wanna make the bike start without killing the battery trying and not have to feather the throttle at stop lights to keep it going.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

A drilled hole absent the check ball will have the reverse of the intended effect so best to JB and return the bowl to stock (or if in no hurry ask on Fecebook parts forums and here if someone has one as they'll likely damn near give the carb away. (We used to make Sportster owners happy that way replacing their worn out Bendix/Zenith carbs.) Every biker should have a matching clean known-good test carb as part of their troubleshooting kit (when I began treating personal work like fleet and aircraft maintenance my life got MUCH easier which I like as I'm lazy) anyway, just don't pay much for one and ensure the seller inspects the pump cover by removal.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by farmall
          A drilled hole absent the check ball will have the reverse of the intended effect
          Thanks Farmall, that's what I needed to know. JB weld it is, I can always drill it out again later. I may upgrade carbs one of these days but I'll hang on to this one too.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
            • Apr 2020

Ive been sick but I'm better now and I got my new to me Ram Jett intake on, my new Supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust on and the carb cleaned and jetted. Main: .170 and pilot .75, idle screw 1.5 turns out. The bike fires up with zero choke on the first crank now. versus killing the battery trying to get it to start before.

It's running a little rich with this setup, I think I'll go down to .165 on the main jet. With a little more tuning I should have it dialed in. I still need to replace the leaky fuel inlet though.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully this will help someone in the future with the same problems as me.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;