CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default KZ440 My first attempt

I'm starting another build thread since my last one has kinda been hijacked. SO here's a rundown:
    Bought an 82 KZ 440 in Wichita Walls, TX in 2011. Spent a lot of time getting it running (bad starter and no new ones available; found local grey beard who rebuilt it) and brought it home to MD; found out frame was bent and seller won't contact me, brought it home and found another frame. Since I can't leave anything stock, I decided to try and make a bobber outta it. 5 years later and I'm STILL building the little fucker. A ton of parts amassed over 5 years, 3 different tanks, and I've finally got a direction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000.jpg   Cluster03.jpg   tank03.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	67494
    This is the current state of my 440. The motor that I had running back in 2011 is finally in. Took a while getting it in and bolted into place.

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	312.1 KB 
ID:	67495
    These are the aluminum manifold boots I ordered from 11th hour industries. They said they are made to be used with pods instead of the stock air box because of their size. I'm not 100% sure I want to use them because I have clearance issues with the carbs. One option is to cut the manifolds down a little bit to give me the correct amount of room to mount the carbs. I MIGHT be able to use the stock air box but I'm still debating if I want to use pods. My other options is to use stock replacement boots and run the air box.

Get Adobe Flash player

Work has been kicking my ass and so has the "honey-do-list." The OEM rubber boots came in a week after I installed the aluminum ones. Still debating if I wanna use them.

Since work was slow as shit today and I couldn't leave, I decided to play around with "PAINT" and do a shitty Concept drawling of what the lil 440 will look like when done. Here are the 2 schemes I came up with.

Name:	Paint002.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	69696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint003.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	69697

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm in the same boat. Bought my 81 440 years ago in pieces. Got it running and started hacking at the frame, moved across the state, bike lived in storage almost 2 years, just finished going through the engine and trans, just need to rebuild the carbs to get the ethanol gunk out. Doesn't look too far from your current condition, except mine has window bars...

Pretty cool little build, can't wait to see it finished. Definitely think the second scheme is better, it has a classier more complete look

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like this is gonna get finished sooner than later. The ol' lady are a bit tight on cash at the moment so she has decided to sell her motorcycle so we have can pay bills. I'm totally against the idea because I know she's gonna nag the shit outta me when I go ride with the guys, complain that she's not comfortable on the back of my bike, and/or steal my bike when I'm not riding. Well, I told her if that's the case, we're finishing my 440 to we have the extra bike for whatever.

Hope to post some pics and updates next week.

Keep on it PeanutHead. Ive been riding my KZ440 for over a year now and have had ample time to learn it's quirks. The are a great bike as long as you know how to work with them. I have recently changed mine from a cafe bike project to a chopper/bobber project. So I may have some insight into issues you may come across

Get Adobe Flash player

Got the chance to get back into the garage and start working on the 440 again. But it didn't go so well. Still can't figure out how to get the Harley tank to properly mount on the backbone. Think I might go back to my original idea and make stock kz tank hold 5 gallons of fuel.

Get Adobe Flash player

I decided to try and make my own custom gas tank. I'm combining the stock tank and Harley split tank. Hopefully I can get it to look good and hold about 5 gals of fuel.

Brought one of the split tanks with me to work today to make some cuts. Here's the tape line as my guide.

Name:	IMAG0238.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	70327
    After the cuts.

Name:	IMAG0241.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	70328
    And...........anyone have a clue? I'm stumped. A cream/seal job gone bad?

Name:	IMAG0240.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	70329
    Last edited by PeanutHead; 06-22-2016 at 10:10 AM.

I have a 1981 kz440 parts bike. You live in MD? I'm in PA if your ever in a pinch for a part let me know ill see if I have it.

They are good lil bikes. I love mine. What were you having troubles with as far as mounting the Harley tank? If you don't mind me asking. And those 11th hour manifolds look nice. I used their single carb manifold

Get Adobe Flash player

Everyone has a 440 now! Awesome little bikes, rode one for two years and makes me happy to see them being destroyed in the name of insanity.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh man, the kz backbones suck. I cut the entire bottom off a sportster tank and made my own tunnel to do this on a 550:

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    They are good lil bikes. I love mine. What were you having troubles with as far as mounting the Harley tank? If you don't mind me asking. And those 11th hour manifolds look nice. I used their single carb manifold
    I just couldn't figure out how to get the rear/back of the tanks mounted on the frame.

I also love the look of the manifolds. Surprised no one else is really making them for other Jap bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Another year has rolled by and I still haven't finished my 440. It's now fallen into the "it'll never get finished" category. Im getting back into my garage/shop to do some actual work on her. Not exactly sure what but I'm doing something damnit!

Nice little bike,i have the same one,same year color,my starter is bad also,bought used one $139,off ebay,

Lowbrow customs sell the Hardtail kit for $349 for the ltd 440

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Randy123 View Post
    Lowbrow customs sell the Hardtail kit for $349 for the ltd 440
    Yeah I know they do but I don't wanna go that route. Especially since I'm hoping to get stupid MPG with the 5 gal tank I'm putting on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Been working on the 440 since 8am. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. Had to get flat and round stock so I can mount the rear fender and seat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180203_112853.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	81468

Name:	20180203_131434.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	81469

Name:	20180203_131539.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	81470

Get Adobe Flash player

Couple hours after I posted this, my brother stopped by for a few beers. Showed him the 440 and he gave me a few suggestions. Gonna fab up a new better mount for the rear fender to the frame. I also came up with this lil prototype thing to drop the tank down 2" or 2.5"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180213_135236.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	250.8 KB 
ID:	81680

Share This