CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

1 step forward, 2 steps back. Argh, so I found a guy on the KZ rider forum who draws up wiring diagrams. I should have followed it to the T from the beginning. But I tried using the parts I already bought (4 wire ignition switch and crazy LED start button). The start button isn't an issue but the ignition switch was a bit confusing to me. So I ordered a simple on-off ignition switch and it'll be here tomorrow. Oi.

Peanuthead, I've just got back to work on my 83 after a long wait, just went through the wiring mess your in. If you need, I could run down the bare minimum for it to run, the harness is still split open and laid out. Really isn't much too it. Also, I've mounted a sportster tank on mine, did it a little differently if your not thrilled with yours. Let me know.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got a bare bones diagram I'm (mostly) following but I'm always up for more help. I'd love to see what you've done. Here's the diagram I got.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KawKz440_82A3engine81A2frame_forPeanuthead01.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	104309

What I've got is starting at the start button/ run stop switch - yellow/red stripe to coil positive( it jumps from 1 wire to 2 at the plug runs to the igniter, and the clymer manual is labeled backwards). The yellow/ blue stripe is coil negative. The blue and black wires are pick up coil to ignitor. The larger black/ yellow stripe wires are the ground circuit ( be aware that there is also a yellow/red wire from the starter solenoid that goes to ground, at least on mine it did. The other wire (mine is black) activates the solenoid. Be alert about the backwards labeling of the wire colors had me confused for a while. Sorry for the long winded post, I know wiring to be a pain

I'll make some time tomorrow to draw up a diagram, probably post some pics if it will help

Get Adobe Flash player

Right on. Thanks dude.

I've been back to work full time for 2 weeks now and this is the only update I've got. I wasn't really happy with the first cluster i made so I made another one. Thicker steel and a little better looking.

Name:	0618200744.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	104314

Name:	0618202215.jpg 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	104315

Name:	15926077540233784931516292885278.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	104362 just got started on that diagram for you, here is a pic of my bike so far

Name:	15926615394776903530353435349681.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	104374

This is what I have. My bike is basically "hotwired ",due to the fact that I am completely making a new harness, and changing a TON of things. This is as basic as it gets, it's not perfect nor is it 100% correct, but my bike runs on it. Use it as a reference at your own risk please. I've sorted all the colors according to my bike, and have made notes if I have changed anything, pointed out factory connections ect.

Get Adobe Flash player

As a tech challenged person myself I found if I sent pics to my screen first, then to the forum they won't flippy dippy, but if I load straight from pics flip flop flap! and keep up the forward progress looking good !

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	0620200940~2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	104420
    Here's a fixed picture of the new cluster. I have done more egging out of the holes.

Get Adobe Flash player

So no picture update because the bike really doesn't look any different. I got an LED flasher in yesterday and made sure it worked with the turn signals. Installed that and ran the wires. That's basicly it.

I also decided that I'm not gonna use the TC Brothers taillight I posted a while ago. I decided to make my own. Like, actually casting a new lense and all. I still have parts left over from my first bike (82 Suzuki GS650) that ibsaved for some reason. I'm casting a turn signal lense and will be making a red lense to run. The mold making stuff should be here later today so tonights project will be making a mold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0620202252~2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	104437
    Last edited by PeanutHead; 3 Weeks Ago at 1:20 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The mold putty came in the other day and it wasn't exactly what I was looking to use but I gave it a shot. The first attempt was the flat clear inner lense. I used too much putty and the lense cracked as I was trying to get air bubbles out. Oi!

Name:	0626202203~2.jpg 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	104535
    Then I decide, why not, let's fucking try the lense itself. So far So good. I don't have a picture of the back half yet since I poured in some epoxy. I'll post pics tomorrow and let ya know how shitty (or cool) it turned out.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm thinking of trying to resin cast some lenses as well it looks like a few attempts are needed to get em just right. I will say I use a torch to get the bubbles out of the epoxy resin I use fill holes in wood tops, I almost make passes as if I am painting to not burn the resin.hope this helps and looking forward to seeing what ya com up with. I am thinking of super thick almost 5/8 for mine because they are going to get hit by rocks with the mickeys on my trike!

Get Adobe Flash player

My wife makes custom tumblers (shameless plug Rosie's Custom Crafts) and uses a torch when she lays down epoxy.

So I made a 2 part mold and I'm hoping the second part had enough material to work. We'll see later tonight when I pull the mold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0626202252~2.jpg 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	104542

Get Adobe Flash player

So the lense isn't perfect by any means but a lot better thank I expected. I didn't use enough epoxy, it's only half as deep as the original. I could run this is I wanted (after some sanding and polish) but I want to try again. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0627202144~2.jpg 
Size:	291.5 KB 
ID:	104551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0627202144b~2.jpg 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	104552

Get Adobe Flash player

looks sweet! Would one have to make multiple molds with that or is it reusable?

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks dude. From everything I've been reading, I can do a few pulls (10 seems too be the magic number) per mold.

Get Adobe Flash player

I slacked off all last week (wife and kids were out of town). I know i should have done something but I guess I just wanted to relax. Anyway, last night I painted the cluster and tonight, I installed everything and mounted it!

Name:	0713202212~2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	104868

Share This