Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy123
    • Nov 2017

Nice little bike,i have the same one,same year color,my starter is bad also,bought used one $139,off ebay,

Comment

• Randy123
      • Nov 2017

Lowbrow customs sell the Hardtail kit for $349 for the ltd 440

Comment

• PeanutHead
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Randy123
        Lowbrow customs sell the Hardtail kit for $349 for the ltd 440
        Yeah I know they do but I don't wanna go that route. Especially since I'm hoping to get stupid MPG with the 5 gal tank I'm putting on it.

Comment

• PeanutHead
          • Nov 2011

Been working on the 440 since 8am. I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out. Had to get flat and round stock so I can mount the rear fender and seat.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_112853.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	1300409
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180203_131434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	1300410

Name:	20180203_131539.jpg
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	1300411

Comment

• PeanutHead
            • Nov 2011

Couple hours after I posted this, my brother stopped by for a few beers. Showed him the 440 and he gave me a few suggestions. Gonna fab up a new better mount for the rear fender to the frame. I also came up with this lil prototype thing to drop the tank down 2" or 2.5"Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_135236.jpg
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	1300570

Comment

• PeanutHead
              • Nov 2011

Got a little bit of progress done yesterday. A 2in drop bracket was made (roughly) and mocked up. Need to drill the second set of holes and grind)cut a little bit off the frame for everything to mount up perfectly. Also tried to install the new headlight just to find out I'm missing pieces from the OE bucket. Anyone have a complete 7in side mount headlight bucket they don't want?

Name:	20180217_144822.jpg
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	1300704

Name:	20180217_144957.jpg
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1300705

Comment

• PeanutHead
                • Nov 2011

Name:	20180219_143615.jpg
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1300759
                I've been think a lot since I posted the pictures and made the tank mounts the other day. If I cut out the original gusset and mount, then make my own, is 1/4" steel thick enough to replace the OE? The crappy red lines are the design I'm thinking of.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by PeanutHead
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]81922[/ATTACH]
                  I've been think a lot since I posted the pictures and made the tank mounts the other day. If I cut out the original gusset and mount, then make my own, is 1/4" steel thick enough to replace the OE? The crappy red lines are the design I'm thinking of.
                  It seems like you have a few different ideas going at the same time, so I am a bit confused with where you are going...You cut apart tanks to build one, then are trying to mount 5 gallons - which look too long at the back, (but seem to be close in the second and third photos of this thread,but not in some of the latest photos)...then you want to replace an existing gusset - which may end up covered by the front of the tank...If you want to run the 5-gals, maybe you could just set it where it will fit in front, make sure the forks/trees clear, then see if rear mount(s) will line up with a proper mounting location, measure what you need for the front and build a mount to fit below the framerail and weld it on, - might need new tabs on the tank(s), then build the rear mount(s). Might be easier to fit one of the other tanks from your shelf - do you need 5 gallons or do you just like the look? I think it's a great build - keep goin'!
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• PeanutHead
                    • Nov 2011

I like the way the 5gal tank looks on the bike. I put making a tank idea on hold because I'm pretty sure I can get the uncut tanks to mount.

Name:	20180203_112853.jpg
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	1300793
                    With the tanks mounted this way, the trees clear the tank (that has been my problem with the earlier mock ups). I think it looks a little goofy and yet cool all at the same time. My brother on the other hand, suggested I drop the front a bit because of the "negative space near the mount." I need to see if the trees will clear the tanks after I install the drop brackets.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Maybe you can adjust the steering stops a bit, or somehow reduce the amount the forks turn to prevent hitting the tanks. It's hard to tell from the photos,but it looks there is a clearance problem...is that the fuel tap, or the rear mount that is sitting on top of the carb?
                      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• PeanutHead
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                        Maybe you can adjust the steering stops a bit, or somehow reduce the amount the forks turn to prevent hitting the tanks. It's hard to tell from the photos,but it looks there is a clearance problem...is that the fuel tap, or the rear mount that is sitting on top of the carb?
                        The petcock and mounts don't hit the carbs. I'll figure something out the next time I get to work in my garage.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                          • Nov 2011

So all it took was this covid-19 bullshit to finally get me wrenching again on my 440. So, I mounted thestock tank, mini apes, and started too rebuild the carbs. When I took the bowl off of carb 1, I got a nice surprise. So, should I be concerned? Or just let it ride?

Name:	0417202152.jpg
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	1317494

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

repair or get a new bowl, fuel will leak when it reaches that level.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                              repair or get a new bowl, fuel will leak when it reaches that level.
                              Great.....well I've got a new one on order. I'll try and repair the one I've got. Now I need to find our where I downloaded the repair manual. Kinda went in blind last night.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                                • Nov 2011

New bowl came in. I'll mount that up tomorrow night.

The day after the float bowl broke, I mounted the fairing, and started fabbing the tail light mounting plate.

Name:	0418202251.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1317637

Name:	0418202158_HDR.jpg
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	1317638
                                Used some graph paper to make the template.

Name:	0418202202.jpg
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	1317639
                                I got lucky and had a piece of scrap steel laying around that was the exact size I needed!

Name:	0421200940.jpg
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	1317640

Name:	0421202057.jpg
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	1317641
                                Last edited by PeanutHead; 04-21-2020, 7:47 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;