CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 7/8" controls on 1" bars - Advice on opening them up

Ok, I got a Nissin MC that I want to use on my 1" bars. Sounds simple enough just open the clamp up a little, and BAM, you got it working....

Here's what I'm working with: http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?m...products_id=41

I can't post a pic right now, but as I am opening them up, I'm getting damn near the holes for the bolts to mount the sucker on the bars. I have been using the dermel method working around the ID of the clamp to open it up. I put some small washers to keep the clamp open a bit more than fully closed as I do this.

Even thought I keep thinking I am opening it up, the clamp just doesn't want to look like it matches the radius of the 1" bars. If I take more material off, I risk damaging the bolt holes.

Who has done this, and what is the best way. I don't want to mess up an expensive MC...

And I did read the Nissan MC posts, but nothing real specific to opening up the clamp.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have some calipers? What's the opening at now on the clamp? If you're getting really close I'd just shave down the bars a little bit where the camp goes. If you're like 3/4 of the way there then only need like 1/32 more on the diameter and that means only taking 1/64 off the outside of the bars. That shouldn't hurt anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

I put 7/8 stuff on my bike once by cutting the ends off my 1" bar and welding 7/8 ends on it. It worked well.

Get Adobe Flash player

your safest bet would be to have a machinist or someone with a mill do it. if your careful you can do it in a drill press and a 1in holesaw. youll want to shim the clamp side so that it will be able to clamp down tightly on the 1in tube and not be over sized. using a 1in end mill would be ideal but a hole saw will work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ScottArcher View Post
    Do you have some calipers? What's the opening at now on the clamp? If you're getting really close I'd just shave down the bars a little bit where the camp goes. If you're like 3/4 of the way there then only need like 1/32 more on the diameter and that means only taking 1/64 off the outside of the bars. That shouldn't hurt anything.
    I do have a set of calipers, I'll have to check where I'm at now and see. Just holding the clamp up to the bars it looks like there's a ways to go. I'll get out to the garage this weekend and check. We got a foot of snow yesterday...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Buellbomb View Post
    I put 7/8 stuff on my bike once by cutting the ends off my 1" bar and welding 7/8 ends on it. It worked well.

That's not a bad idea, but then I have to change my throttle and I was trying to avoid that. Either way I'm stuck changing something I think... I thought about just changing the bars to 7/8 and using shims on my bar clamp.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by steffan View Post
    your safest bet would be to have a machinist or someone with a mill do it. if your careful you can do it in a drill press and a 1in holesaw. youll want to shim the clamp side so that it will be able to clamp down tightly on the 1in tube and not be over sized. using a 1in end mill would be ideal but a hole saw will work.

I agree that is probably the best bet. I'll have to see if I can find someone local and we can clamp it really good in a mill and bore it out. Just an excuse to buy a mill (not in my budget...)

Get Adobe Flash player

Went to a buddies house and used his mill with a couple washers for spacers and a 1" end mill and they fit perfect. Kind of hard to clamp in the mill nice and level, but it got it done!

Get Adobe Flash player

I used a step bit to 1" many times. Worked like a charm.

Share This