CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Help - 81 GS450L Build

hi all, long time reader, first time poster.

just finished my first build on my 81 GS 450... long story short, i didnt make it.

used a lithium ion battery and looks like i probably should have read up on my charging system before i did that. not sure if i wired the bike wrong or the bike cant handle the lithium batteries.

not to mention, i lost the headlight at about 55 mph.

thoughts? thanks..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5280-2.jpg   IMG_3601.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Losing the lights when you need them really sucks.Had it happen to me on my bike.Lost everything in pitch black night on a road with a fifty mile an hour speed limit.

Get Adobe Flash player

I feel like I remember that this can happen if you have bad ground... like the battery will overheat and stuff. I can't remember for sure. Maybe check it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottArcher View Post
    I feel like I remember that this can happen if you have bad ground... like the battery will overheat and stuff. I can't remember for sure. Maybe check it out though.
    i don't think it's a ground issue... i was thinking my problem is related to the charging system

Get Adobe Flash player

So, my advice to anyone thinking about using these batteries: don't. It may save weight, may save size, but they have some pretty huge downsides when compared to traditional lead-acid. I've seen many people have this same problem, and why? Because you have to charge these batteries using their special trickle charger. Even if the battery is just a *little* bit drained, hooking it up to a regular charger, or your charging system and expecting to charge back up means you run the risk of exactly what happened here. I know a lot of people like running bikes with kick-start, in case their battery drains down, they can still start it, without a jump. Well, if you run one of these batteries, that's a risky proposition, because you're just begging to have a nice fire under your ass. Same with a jump or push start. And in the case of these GS' bikes, you've got the issue with the shoddy stock charging system- I blew through two R/R's on mine before I said 'fuckit' and got a mosfet. I'd hate to see what would have happened if the R/R gave up with one of those Li batteries.
    /rant

Anyways, check your R/R. Those bikes like to chew them up and spit them out. Read the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers1.php, and test as they command, and you should find the issue. Also, make sure the housing on the R/R is grounded. Learned that the hard way after the first one died.

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    So, my advice to anyone thinking about using these batteries: don't. It may save weight, may save size, but they have some pretty huge downsides when compared to traditional lead-acid. I've seen many people have this same problem, and why? Because you have to charge these batteries using their special trickle charger. Even if the battery is just a *little* bit drained, hooking it up to a regular charger, or your charging system and expecting to charge back up means you run the risk of exactly what happened here. I know a lot of people like running bikes with kick-start, in case their battery drains down, they can still start it, without a jump. Well, if you run one of these batteries, that's a risky proposition, because you're just begging to have a nice fire under your ass. Same with a jump or push start. And in the case of these GS' bikes, you've got the issue with the shoddy stock charging system- I blew through two R/R's on mine before I said 'fuckit' and got a mosfet. I'd hate to see what would have happened if the R/R gave up with one of those Li batteries.
    /rant

Anyways, check your R/R. Those bikes like to chew them up and spit them out. Read the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers1.php, and test as they command, and you should find the issue. Also, make sure the housing on the R/R is grounded. Learned that the hard way after the first one died.
    17v at idle isn't good for any battery! imagine at full throttle.... really wish i checked this before what could have been a much worse situation than it was.

the testing begins...

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, no bueno. Had a buddy take mine out for a spin when we were on vacation, and after a couple hours without him returning, we got concerned about his well being. We tried calling him, but of course, the fucker had left his phone in the cabin with us. A few minutes later, some random local drops him off, and he says the bike died on him. I went to go pick up the bike in my truck, and when I tested the R/R output, it was giving me weird readings on the DC setting- flipped it to AC, and I was getting unrectified 23VAC straight to the battery. Would hate to see what that'd do to a lithium battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    Yeah, no bueno. Had a buddy take mine out for a spin when we were on vacation, and after a couple hours without him returning, we got concerned about his well being. We tried calling him, but of course, the fucker had left his phone in the cabin with us. A few minutes later, some random local drops him off, and he says the bike died on him. I went to go pick up the bike in my truck, and when I tested the R/R output, it was giving me weird readings on the DC setting- flipped it to AC, and I was getting unrectified 23VAC straight to the battery. Would hate to see what that'd do to a lithium battery.
    luckily I had somebody following me, but the bike died as I was on my street. stopped the bike and saw large amounts of white smoke. with the power switched off nothing I could do but wait for the battery to finish its self destruction. wish I got a picture of the battery when I pulled it out, but was not trying to poke around a burned up battery for longer than I needed to.

now its back to square 1 checking my wiring and the rest of the electrical/charging system.

Share This