Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmania44
    • Nov 2013

LESSON LEARNED: The hard way

just dont so business with friends. Especially if they have burned you before. MY BAD. I deleted this because I was more mad when I typed it out than i am now. Good points by all.
    Last edited by Cosmania44; 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM.
  • Kraz1
    • Oct 2012

You've never heard the term "Friends & Money don't mix" ?

Comment

• ridgerunner1965
      • Mar 2015

do yu have a title?

Comment

• Cosmania44
        • Nov 2013

The guy was a "brother". he also sent me a pic of the $47,000 check and a $3,000 first payment. I was desperate and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hence the title, LESSON LEARNED: the hard way.... I am too nice and always wanna give people the benefit of the doubt. Midwest nice is the term most of us use

Comment

• Cosmania44
          • Nov 2013

Yup, clean North Dakota title....

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

Maybe he's just holding out on the last $600.00 to see if the bike runs right and you kept up
            your 1/2 of the bargain.. Maybe he feels that the last payment is a measly amount after he's
            given you $3800.00 up front. You agreed to the payment schedule . Maybe he might have
            $800.00 and a cold beer waiting for you as thanks and want to take a ride w/you because he has
            more than one Harley waiting in CA.. It ain't a finished bike yet and your trashing him .

You sound like a douche.

Tim

Comment

• Cosmania44
              • Nov 2013

Actually that's not the case. He knows it'll run right. He is a month late and doesn't answer texts. The plan was to pay me before I got there. He's actually the douche. He buys an Audi n then tells me he's broke. Now avoids my calls and texts but forgets I follow him on snapchat. Would u do that to someone building u a bike. And ur maybes are dreams dude. I couldn't spend 47 grand in 2 months. He's had plenty of time to explain. And he only did pay me as a big "I'm sorry" cuz a week before he left fargo I told him off cuz he stole money from me and 2 others here in town. But didn't think I needed to add that part. Like I said I give too many people the. Enefit of the doubt. This was my rant. I didn't use names. I wasn't trashing. And cold beer? I don't even drink lol. Like I said ur maybes are dreams, tim. If I thought he was a decent person I wouldn't need to rant. I saw his last snapchat he was in vegas??? How do broke people go to vegas?

Comment

• honestcharlie56
                • Aug 2015

you might find broke people are quite easy to locate in Vegas. So just to humor this alittle. You have received all but 600 for building this guys bike, you still have the bike in your possession, you have the title in your possession, and he is 3800 into the build. Sounds like you are on the better end of the deal.

Comment

• Cosmania44
                  • Nov 2013

I'm just disappointed that I let this shit happen AGAIN.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

OP protected himself because he has the title and the vehicle so he can't lose any money unless he wants to. Where is the bad? People who refuse to pay bills aren't "friends", they are shitbags and should be treated accordingly.

You have received all but 600 for building this guys bike, you still have the bike in your possession, you have the title in your possession, and he is 3800 into the build. Sounds like you are on the better end of the deal.
                    That's an ideal end of the deal. It's your bike. Sell it, charge storage and time for doing so, and break it off in his ass. Honest people LOVE doing business professionally and in writing, and I always use that line as a reminder because there isn't a counter argument.

If you start a shop you WILL have many deadbeats and abandoned bikes. That's normal for any mechanic so get smart about all applicable laws. You WILL have to sell some machines by magistrate auction to recoup, so learn how to accrue enough storage etc after abandonment that the total deters anyone from bidding on the vehicle. You can then keep the vehicle for resale for amount owed or get paid so either way is win. Everybody you do work for should sign a DETAILED work order.

My mentorbro and I always worked that way. If someone dies you need paperwork to collect from the estate or to prove ownership so a work order protects both parties. If mentor dies I have proof by workorder copy of what's in his shop. He taught me about getting title via magistrate auction which is extremely common. (If it weren't the US would fill up with indisposable abandoned vehicles.)

Remember. never order parts before you get PAID for them. You can wait on labor, but never front parts.

I do plenty of business with friends, and we stay friends because I refuse to have unreliable friends. Unreliable people are pieces of shit unworthy of my support and time. OP just learned not to be buddies with shitbags.

That usually costs money. This time it didn't. "Close friend" is clearly trash, but OP didn't get ripped off and need not lose a dime.

Comment

• honestcharlie56
                      • Aug 2015

ya so this all in all is a positive thread!! OP, thanks for sharing your success story with us! Also, please start a new thread detailing the build with all pictures if possible. I just finished an old FLT shovel and am starting a 78 ironhead, the more pictures you post the less money I will hopefully spend on my own addictions HAHA

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;