CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Antigravity Battery Woes

Just want to see if anyone else has woes with this battery, It's my 3rd one, first I bought a 4cell for my kick only and haven't installed it. I have an electric start pan, put a 12 cell which is no chump change and thing almost burned my whole bike, then I went with a 16 Cell, again no chump change either, almost 1k in batteries last year, the thing dies, I send back to company, they re-charge it and now it's dead again, it happened over the winter, I would start it up for a couple of mins every month for about 3 months. Dead, dead, dead, is there another battery out there that is small enough to power an electric start pan, 74? I can't see myself waist anymore money, if that's the case I will just kick instead, please someone give me some comforting input.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't have comforting input. I've seen lots of people have problems with them. I swore it was them doing something wrong, wouldn't happen to me so I married myself to one on my build. I'm on my second one as well.

My story:

- Bought a 4-cell for kick-only setup
    - Read that you can't let the voltage drop below 11v
    - Build was taking awhile so at 6mo bought a charger from them for LiFEpo batteries
    - Tested voltage periodically and charged it when it finally dipped below 13v
    - Got the bike running a few months ago and one day the thing inexplicably failed (<2000 miles on the build)
    - Wasn't reading ANY voltage
    - Wasn't reading ANY resistance between the pos/neg terminals (hmm.. busted circuit inside?)
    - Wouldn't charge (obviously... battery charger/tester said the battery was broken)
    - Sat on the bench overnight and went to show the same thing to a friend and magically, it registered voltage and resistance
    - Called them up about their "24 month warranty" and was told they'd have to test it and the warranty is pro-rated
    - They offered me 20% off retail MSRP (i.e.... more than it sells for in the wild) IF they would cover it
    - Said f-you and replaced it with a spare (I'm anal and since the thing weighs only 1lb, not a bad idea to carry a spare for road trips so I had one anyway)

Still haven't replaced my spare but will do so when spring hits. Fuck them and their warranty I say. From what I've seen, these lithium batteries just can't handle the vibes of a rigid chopper. No other explanation.

Also, my charging system is in tip-top shape (brand new Cycle Electric validated routinely during break-in of the bike). My wiring is as bare bones as can get. I don't have any shorts, etc. I'm as anal as can be about electrical and I have an EE degree.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-25-2016 at 3:30 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I went through a few. Customer service is really good, but I gave up on them because you cant just through them on a charger somewhere if they die, or go to the store and replace them. Went back to Harley ones for convenience.

Get Adobe Flash player

I run one of these for a no kick sporty. Thing rocks, no problems at all.
    http://shoraipower.com/batteries-c41

SamHain

I had one quit. Was completely dead one day for no reason, and won't take a charge. Bought another one, working longer than the first. Couple buddies had about the same issue.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had one in a bike. It would be fine for weeks on end, and then dead. Recharge and it might be good for a day, a week or a month. Just randomly it would discharge. Sold the bike with it in it so no idea how it played out

On my race bikes I have been running a Shorai and I love that battery. One race bike has a Odyssey and that is a bad ass battery too, but it isnt small like the Lipo/Life's

Get Adobe Flash player

god I love my powersports 12 dollar battery

Honestly I buy the cheap Wally world batteries but i fI need/want something smaller autozone sells 120 cca sealed batteries for like 80 bucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hach View Post
    Just want to see if anyone else has woes with this battery, It's my 3rd one, .
    I've been running a cheaper alternative for some years w/ no problems
    http://www.ballisticparts.com
    Didn't seem to make any difference if the bikes were run all the time or just once in a long while.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a Scorpion Lithium 500cca. from Ebay, $170 , and have had no problems in a year I use it on my 127ci..

Get Adobe Flash player

No surprise, we got one for a build, that had a odd battery placement. thing worked for one ride only. They would not exchange it etc.
    My hurt, never tried another one. Might be rigids beat them up too much. Nice idea, just did not work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hach View Post
    Just want to see if anyone else has woes with this battery, It's my 3rd one, first I bought a 4cell for my kick only and haven't installed it. I have an electric start pan, put a 12 cell which is no chump change and thing almost burned my whole bike, then I went with a 16 Cell, again no chump change either, almost 1k in batteries last year, the thing dies, I send back to company, they re-charge it and now it's dead again, it happened over the winter, I would start it up for a couple of mins every month for about 3 months. Dead, dead, dead, is there another battery out there that is small enough to power an electric start pan, 74? I can't see myself waist anymore money, if that's the case I will just kick instead, please someone give me some comforting input.

Get Adobe Flash player

They also catch on fire!!! Fuck Anti-gravity batteries!

Get Adobe Flash player

Fuck man. I just bought a 12 cell for my Ironhead. Really wish I'd of seen this thread before I did that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FeHead View Post
    They also catch on fire!!!!

you dont say.

Get Adobe Flash player

Jesus, I've had my Ballistic 6 cell for 2 years (electric start) never had to charge it and it still fired up after sitting in the bike for 2 months with temps as low as -20

Get Adobe Flash player

My buddy ran a ballistic in his road rally car- thing blew up on him. I don't trust these LiPo/LiFe batteries.

Get Adobe Flash player

I must be the only one that hasn't had a problem with it. 99 Sportster with points. Just headlight, taillight, starter, and ignition.

I've shorted it out a few times and it would just not work for a bit then start working fine again. I just figured it has some kind of internal fuse or something. Once my key switch broke and it shorted everything out. The other time I was putting my seat back on and pinched the wire.

I rode the bike all summer and put thousands of miles on it with no problem. Oh, and the bike doesn't have a single fuse on it. I'm going to be putting a few fuses on when I get it rebuilt this week.

Get Adobe Flash player

When them things first hit the market, I remember reading that they needed a specific Regulator/Rectifier to charge properly. When did that change?
    You are supposed to buy a lithium specific tender, right? Are we just ignoring the manufactures' recommendations?
    Can't tell you how many times I've seen people fill and charge a lead acid battery the wrong way (shortening it's life and minimizing its cca). The little book that comes in the box spells it out for you. What did the little book that came with those failed lithiums say??
    I think some of them have onboard circuitry to deal with voltage spikes and change the square wave to a round wave or some such oscillator mumbo-jumbo.
    Any electrical engineers want to chime in on the specifics?

The tech needs to grow up a bit, still teething.
    And the industry needs to stand behind it's product and take lessons from the real world, not ignore feedback just because it's negative.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just charge mine with my regular charger if I run it down. Only happened twice when fooling with carbs. I don't even put a tender on it. I just ride it a lot.

Get Adobe Flash player

Charging system is working perfectly. I've got a 30amp breaker between the reg and batt. Anti gravity is telling me there is no way their battery can do this on its own. Even if my reg was overcharging the breaker would have popped before the battery caught fire.
    Battery has been on my bike for 3 months. Never touched a charger never dipped below 12v. Now my seats toasted, oil bag has half a battery cement melted to it and ive got to shell out more money for another one of these spontaneously combusting plastic bombs? I wish we wouldnt had made the oil bag specifically for an anti gravity sized battery.

Share This