Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4Leafreger
    • Jan 2016

new aircleaner + baffletomy = rejet?

Hi, my name is Connor and I have some dumb questions about what to do to get some more out of my 2005 xl883 (i know its not something cool a rigid knuckle or something cool but its what Ive got). After a year and a half of riding the hell out of it stock (thinking i would upgrade or start a build) Ive decided to grow some balls and chop and wrench it. In my quest to get her to run respectably I am putting a new air cleaner on it without getting new pipes because im trying to be cheap.
    So my question is: what would happen if I
    A) kept the stock pipes and did a rejet?
    B) did a bafflectoy and did a rejet?
    C) didnt rejet?
    D) or could I adjust the stock carb settings to accommodate the new cleaner without messing with the pipes till i had money?

Forgive me if I am asking some completely asinine questions.

Thanks in advance
  • andri
    • Mar 2012

You could do any of this. Rejetting is not a major thing to do. But it is worth doing it when ever you change air cleaner, exhaust or any other engine component.
    Often bikes come jetted on the lean side for environmental reasons.

But to make a long story short, changing air cleaner while leaving the pipes alone and rejetting would be the correct way to go. Then when you can afford a
    proper exhaust. Install it and rejet again.

Comment

• hattiesbike
      • Jan 2011

Do the air cleaner, run a 1" holesaw through the baffles, and re-jet. If you really want to wake up an 883, find a set of W cams on ebay, they can usually be found for around $50. Easily done, you will really like it. Do the Deimus crankcase breather mod while you have the cam cover off. Cheers

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

An old, effective way to remove baffles is use a rod close to their diameter but not "tight" and press it through the muffler with a hydraulic press while backing up the muffler end with a block of wood.

It shears them away from the parent metal.

Comment

• armand
          • Jan 2012

Also, The XLFORUM is a good place for this info.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;