• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • planksta
    • Oct 2013

1968 Triumph Bonneville Chop Early 60s Watson Style

Hey everyone,

Im Zach

I bought my first Triumph a few months ago its a 1968 Bonneville T120R 650cc, I always wanted one. Love the race history and styling of them.

This bike came from an estate sale where it sat in some guys basement for like 20 years. It was freshened up right before the original owner stopped riding it and put it away. The guy had a tasteful eye because for a mostly stock bike it has a good stance and style. But anyhow I own it now, I rode it around for a couple months before it got cold and here we are at the start of me turning it into a bike that I really want to build.

My theme is a early 60s Watson styled rigid bike, flashy paint, chrome, valanced wheels, short front end and tight ass end, clean lines and some race vibe.

I would like to thank Chopcult for these forums and Lucas from The Factory Metal Works for donating a hardtail for me to get started! Every bit helps, and I have already been shooting TFMW parts orders so I can really get moving on this thing!

Ill start with some pics of the bike how I bought it.

Here it is after one of my first rides in the back roads of good old Lancaster County, PA

Cheers
    -Zach
  • planksta
    • Oct 2013

Tear Down

Ok now that you know what I'm doing let me show you guys where I am at.

My buddy helped me tear the bike basically down to the frame motor and forks the other night. I know most of you will probably hate me for saying this but I've sold off most of the stuff I didn't plan to use as funds but hey I don't have a use for the stuff and other people are restoring bikes so let them use it.

Heres a couple pics to show the progress.

Goodbye headlight

Pretty clean motor

Lookin sexy

With the Wassell Fender, Giuliarri Seat, and some Flanders style bars

Im sure all of you will ask me so heres the dimensions. Stretch is 1" and the drop is 3" This is the ideal formula for no drop off behind the seat post but still keeping that tight non stretched look. I cant stand bikes that have gaps and weird spaces, this sucker will be tiny!

Wont be using the stock wheels in fact they are gone, the Front will be a 21" x 1.60" spool and Back will be 19"x 2.15" w/ High Shouldered Rims

Shout out to Lucas at The Factory Metal Works this hardtail exceeds my expectations, it fits perfect, the welds look unreal! and he knew exactly what dimenions to give me to get the bike sitting the way I wanted! Thanks again!

Cheers
    -Zach
    Last edited by planksta; 01-16-2016, 5:34 PM.

Comment

• Sds1973
      • Aug 2014

Looking good !

Comment

• planksta
        • Oct 2013

The latest thing I've been working on is the forks. Going to replace all the seals and what not so its up to date on its maintenance. Also since the hardtail drops 3" I have to drop the forks roughly the same depending on the outside tire diameters and what not.

Disassembly has been pretty straight forward, took the forks off, drained them, only issue I've had so far is the right side tube. Sucker was in there tight it had some pitting and wouldn't slide out so I mounted it to the table and took some serious whacks with a mallet. Already ordered replacement tubes because these would probably tear up the new seals anyway.

Cant really move forward on these until I get the fork seal removal tool so I can get the dust covers off.

So in the mean time I'll show you guys some parts I've been hoarding for this thing.

Giuliarri Seat & P-Pad

Central Wheel UK Morad/ Akronts 21x1.60 & 19x2.15

NOS MCM Trumpets

Electroline Bullet Tails

NOS Rotrax Rear Motor Mounts

NOS MCM Fork Covers

Check out those stickers! Not taking them off

That's all for now, ordered a chrome rear hub and full drum brake setup from Lucas TFMW, soon as that gets here its off to get the wheels built!

Cheers
        -Zach

Comment

• 60GalaxieJJ
          • Jul 2015

This thing is gonna be killer!!!!

Comment

• boxxman
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2010

Lots of really good stuff going on here. looking forward to following this.

Comment

• TheFatGuido
              • Nov 2012

wow this thing is gonna rule, excited to see your progress!

Comment

• billybiltit
                • Aug 2009

cool build keep us posted,

leon

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Looking good.

Given the year it would be smart to save all the takeoff parts since it's pre-OIF. I'd keep them together hanging on a wall somewhere, not that you'll ever return it to stock but the package will appreciate over time.

Comment

• vorhese
                    • Jul 2010

Wow that was a nice bike, I wouldn't have touched it.

Comment

• LisaBallard
                      • Jul 2009

Keep up the great work!

Comment

• planksta
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by farmall
                        Looking good.

Given the year it would be smart to save all the takeoff parts since it's pre-OIF. I'd keep them together hanging on a wall somewhere, not that you'll ever return it to stock but the package will appreciate over time.
                        Yea pre-oif stuff is really doing well, however in order to fund this bike the way I wanted it, I sold everything, all brought great money on ebay, most of it went over seas to be honest

Originally posted by vorhese
                        Wow that was a nice bike, I wouldn't have touched it.
                        I know what you mean, it really wasn't easy to tear into it but I wanted to start with something nice, and I got it for a good price so oh well lol

Originally posted by LisaBallard
                        Keep up the great work!
                        Thanks again for the hardtail give away! every bit helps out!

Comment

• planksta
                          • Oct 2013

Figure Id give you guys a little update since its been a couple weeks!

Ive basically been waiting on parts from Lucas at TFMW, Chrome shops been slowed down thanks to that snow storm we had on the east coast

But anyhow first couple packages have come in and damn Bling Bling lol

The whole rear hub and brake assembly is going to be chrome, still waiting on the chrome brake plate to come in and a couple other bits so that I can build the brake

I also got these new tubes in and they are so nice, much nicer than the cruddy OG ones!

Next steps are to get the wheels built now that I have both hubs so I can make this bad bitch a roller

Plus rebuild and lower the forks

Ill update when I get the wheels back

Cheers
                          -Zach

Comment

• Rothbart
                            • Sep 2014

Very cool. I also was a winner in the hardtail (Led sled) give away in the Sportster section. I got it all welded, wiring and just about all the parts I want but still have tons more to do. Look foreword to seeing your progress.

Comment

• planksta
                              • Oct 2013

Alright I am back after several months, sorry for the delay on posting but I have been busy and was waiting on parts.

Here is a few of the things I've managed to get done

For starters I scored this oil bag for $20 fits the frame perfect and its small and tight enough to fit with the rear wheel! boom! just needs a smaller oil cap!

I rebuilt and lowered the front end using an extra set of black plastic dampner sleeves, and I cut down the springs by 1 1/2" then leveled the ends back off, this put the front end just where I need it! took about 2.5" out.
                              I popped out the old neck bearings surprisingly they came out without much trouble just used a screw driver and hammered them out. Installed the new neck bearing set using a homemade tool, just tighten the nut and they both go in, they went in without any trouble also

Finally the wheels are built! Thanks to Zitos Vintage Cycle in NJ he did a killer job! hit him up for all your wheel needs.

I also got all the factory spacers and retainers to pack the rear hub and went ahead and did that.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;