Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • planksta
    • Oct 2013

And after all that work I got to a point where I wanted to see how this thing looks! Mockup time!

Basically its exactly what Ive been shooting for. A clean tight classic 60s look, sucker better do wheelies!

Next up is building the rear brake and bolting that on and getting all the spacing correct!

Cheers
    -Zach

Comment

• planksta
      • Oct 2013

Worked on the rear brake a little the last couple days

Had to order the sprocket to drum bolts in cause no one had the size. (1/4"-28x13/16) weird size...

In order to thread this piece into the hub I went out to harbor freight and got a pin wrench $4, that will come in handy!

Also ordered one of these Troy Fab spacers! Love how clean this looks!

I'm getting there, still waiting on the brake plate to come in from chrome, then I can put that all together and get the wheel all lined up.

I'm actually having a little issue with the axle spacing, I have the hub packed and all the correct washers/spacers on and it seems like there is not enough room for it all to fit in between the axle plates by about a 1/4". It may be that troy fab piece or the spacer with the attached nut to the right of it in the picture above. I may have to turn that down about a 1/4" if I'm thinking correctly. I actually tried prying the hardtail outwards a little to see if maybe it was just bent in a little but that made the wheel tight. let me know if anyone has any suggestions

Thanks
      -Zach

Comment

• sdsbassist
        • Jun 2014

Any updates?

Comment

• TroyFab
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by planksta
          Worked on the rear brake a little the last couple days

Had to order the sprocket to drum bolts in cause no one had the size. (1/4"-28x13/16) weird size...

In order to thread this piece into the hub I went out to harbor freight and got a pin wrench $4, that will come in handy!

Also ordered one of these Troy Fab spacers! Love how clean this looks!

I'm getting there, still waiting on the brake plate to come in from chrome, then I can put that all together and get the wheel all lined up.

I'm actually having a little issue with the axle spacing, I have the hub packed and all the correct washers/spacers on and it seems like there is not enough room for it all to fit in between the axle plates by about a 1/4". It may be that troy fab piece or the spacer with the attached nut to the right of it in the picture above. I may have to turn that down about a 1/4" if I'm thinking correctly. I actually tried prying the hardtail outwards a little to see if maybe it was just bent in a little but that made the wheel tight. let me know if anyone has any suggestions

Thanks
          -Zach
          Zach,
          Something funky there for sure. Where are the axle adjusters? That piece outside of the hub may do the same thing as my speedo spacer. It may be you can only use one of those , not both. If you need anything machined, hit me up and I will take care of it. This build is coming out really nice. Nice job.
          Steve

Comment

• Hellayeah
            • Jul 2016

Great looking bike Zack. What fuel tank is that? I love the look.

Comment

• planksta
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by TroyFab
              Zach,
              Something funky there for sure. Where are the axle adjusters? That piece outside of the hub may do the same thing as my speedo spacer. It may be you can only use one of those , not both. If you need anything machined, hit me up and I will take care of it. This build is coming out really nice. Nice job.
              Steve
              Yea basically in between the Speedo spacer that you guys make and the axle plate you need a spacer and a nut to fill that gap so I'm just turning down that nut with the built in spacer down to size and killing two birds with one stone

That Speedo spacer is awesome by the way!

Thanks
              -Zach

Comment

• planksta
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Hellayeah
                Great looking bike Zack. What fuel tank is that? I love the look.
                Its an original Hap Jones tank that was chromed back in the 60s or 70s, I bought it off of Todd Asin(small city cycles)

One of the coolest tanks!

Comment

• planksta
                  • Oct 2013

Ok so its been a little while but I have made some good progress

I deleted the oil pump using one of TFMW delete bolts, cleans that up nicely

Then I wanted to take a shot at making a neat little headlight bracket

Came out awesome! the headlight is some old Allstate headlight have no idea what its off of but it fits perfect on this bike

Next I wanted to get the gas tank mounted, I had to carefully cut off these old mounts

Centered a hole in the frame, then used a slim top hat bung

a little welding action^^^

I still have to weld a tab to the underside of the tank in the tunnel so that I can tighten it down, and I'm probably going to weld two tabs down below the tank in the tunnel where its closest to the top motor mount and have it attach there as well, when I get there ill show some pics

I also got a chrome fender for the bike, you can see it in the picture above, and started to mount that

Everything at the back end of this bike is very tight, I wanted it that way, I don't like open spaces, the fender is butted up against the support bars on the hardtail its so tight

I made a couple tabs, welded them at the correct angle and ran a bolt through the rib of the fender with a nut and washer on the back, the lower tab needs a small spacer that a friend is going to mill down so it fits the rib

Next up is the fender struts! check em out!

Have to weld a small tab off the axle plate and drill holes/bolt them to the fender and the back section of the bike is basically done then

That's all I got for right now, the bike is at my buddys little garage right now cause we are trying to get it done, so I will have more posts up.

Thanks
                  -Zach

Comment

• Carla999
                    • Sep 2016

I totally understand you Zach. Can't wait to see the ultimate result.

Comment

• datadavid
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by planksta
                      Ok so its been a little while but I have made some good progress

I deleted the oil pump using one of TFMW delete bolts, cleans that up nicely

Then I wanted to take a shot at making a neat little headlight bracket

Came out awesome! the headlight is some old Allstate headlight have no idea what its off of but it fits perfect on this bike

Next I wanted to get the gas tank mounted, I had to carefully cut off these old mounts

Centered a hole in the frame, then used a slim top hat bung

a little welding action^^^

I still have to weld a tab to the underside of the tank in the tunnel so that I can tighten it down, and I'm probably going to weld two tabs down below the tank in the tunnel where its closest to the top motor mount and have it attach there as well, when I get there ill show some pics

I also got a chrome fender for the bike, you can see it in the picture above, and started to mount that

Everything at the back end of this bike is very tight, I wanted it that way, I don't like open spaces, the fender is butted up against the support bars on the hardtail its so tight

I made a couple tabs, welded them at the correct angle and ran a bolt through the rib of the fender with a nut and washer on the back, the lower tab needs a small spacer that a friend is going to mill down so it fits the rib

Next up is the fender struts! check em out!

Have to weld a small tab off the axle plate and drill holes/bolt them to the fender and the back section of the bike is basically done then

That's all I got for right now, the bike is at my buddys little garage right now cause we are trying to get it done, so I will have more posts up.

Thanks
                      -Zach
                      Tha's not the oil pump therre its the rev counter ��

Comment

• planksta
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by datadavid
                        Tha's not the oil pump therre its the rev counter ��
                        Lol yea not sure why I put oil pump meant to put tach drive

Comment

• Coverinmiles710
                          • Nov 2014

Looks killer, i dig that tank

Comment

• zenerdiode
                            • Oct 2014

Hello where did you get your front axle set up?

Comment

• toby
                              • Nov 2011

nice bike,

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;