Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVoyager
    • Jun 2014

Clear coating my raw steel frame.... ?

I know this topic must pop up a bit, I have searched the forum and can't find anything truly related to my own situ.

Stripped, sanded, and polished my frame and swing arm up to 600 grit paper. I really love the look, and want to keep it raw steel.

A few things though, there are mixed results on whether clear coating on raw steel works.

One idea was to get the frame painted in a 'translucent grey' colour, translucent paint is big in BMX.

(although this is red, I was going to go for grey). I am not sure if this is an option. Too many mixed reviews from bob dick and harry (who are all paint experts by the way).

Has anyone out there successfully clear coated their raw frames? What was the outcome after a few months in say a mixed climate?

I am adamant on clear coating raw steel, it looks so damn good. I don't mind if it shows some Patina or maybe the steel looses it's
    'steeliness'

A friend said the rust will eat the clear coat if not primed... Hell I don't know. Can anyone enlighten me and suggest? Permalac was mentioned also, anyone ever used this?
  • 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

I had some parts clear coated and they lasted for awhile but the rust eventually showed up so I cad plated them instead.
    That being said ,to get more life I would say it would have to be put in an oven for awhile to dry it real good ,let it cool,
    then clear coat immediately.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

It will rust under the clear coat in the end so paint it now or have it chromed....

Comment

• numberonewing
        • Apr 2024

wings done that looks great but few months u see rust under start im n nyork still was kool but had a rusty effect //want to try exile they spray with silicone spray n lite on fire then feed the fire more seen n daytona yrs ago n the frame was perfect patina i thought

Comment

• TheVoyager
          • Jun 2014

How about Galvanised treatment?

Heard it stops rust dead in its tracks!

Comment

• TheVoyager
            • Jun 2014

Have been informed for a steel frame Zinc plating id the way to go.

Have been told it will cost £50 for a motorbike frame and swing arm!

Going to take the bike to them and get it looked at. Plenty of research to come before hand though.

Comment

• numberonewing
              • Apr 2024

another rustfrwee way is to gun blue it same way they do guns looks sweet

Comment

• DustyDave
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

If you don't conversion coat or pickle the raw steel no paint or clear will keep the rust off. Talk to your paint supplier Some clear coats will adhere to bare steel if its pickled. I prefer the Dupont raw steel metal prep but the cheap muriatic acid conversion coat from Lowe's works.
                Dusty
                Driving that train, high on cocaine
                Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• image1
                  • Aug 2009

zinc will work, and is a great sacraficial coating. its not gonna look that great though (imo)

if i was you, i would find a nickle plater...

Comment

• Fukr
                    • May 2012

I had some tins clear coated after I sanded them to 60 grit. I didn't use automotive paint though. I took them to one of those places that paints school lockers and stuff. They put 4 coats of industrial clear coat on it. It cost me $80 and looked clear and thick. It held up to gas, and I rode the bike for 8 months before I sold it. Never saw any sign of oxidation show up under it.

Comment

• Gast
                      • Dec 2014

I did my tank in clear. It sticks to the tank, no problem. I've gotten a few dots of rust, but that is probably poor prep. The look is quite all right, it looks like raw steel, but has a slightly different shine to it.

Comment

• timtpa59
                        • Mar 2012

I have tried it a few times with different clearcoat and if it doesn't rust it will turn a yellowish color. I also really dig the raw metal look and have tried different things. I coat it lightly with wd-40 or Gibbs and reapply a few times a year. There is a new product that I haven't tried and can't remember the name of, but I will find out and report back. Tim

Comment

• timtpa59
                          • Mar 2012

It is called Dry Coat Rust Preventative and I think it's made by the same company that makes metal rescue. I am gonna try it this spring.

Comment

• UncleFester
                            • Jun 2011

what about clear powercoat?

Comment

• Jessechop
                              • Jan 2012

I used some clear by Eastwood designed for this. I did it about this time last year. It has held up well.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;