CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Clear coating my raw steel frame.... ?

I know this topic must pop up a bit, I have searched the forum and can't find anything truly related to my own situ.

Stripped, sanded, and polished my frame and swing arm up to 600 grit paper. I really love the look, and want to keep it raw steel.

A few things though, there are mixed results on whether clear coating on raw steel works.

One idea was to get the frame painted in a 'translucent grey' colour, translucent paint is big in BMX.

http://img.xooimage.com/files96/d/b/...00-438598c.jpg

(although this is red, I was going to go for grey). I am not sure if this is an option. Too many mixed reviews from bob dick and harry (who are all paint experts by the way).

Has anyone out there successfully clear coated their raw frames? What was the outcome after a few months in say a mixed climate?

I am adamant on clear coating raw steel, it looks so damn good. I don't mind if it shows some Patina or maybe the steel looses it's
    'steeliness'

A friend said the rust will eat the clear coat if not primed... Hell I don't know. Can anyone enlighten me and suggest? Permalac was mentioned also, anyone ever used this?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had some parts clear coated and they lasted for awhile but the rust eventually showed up so I cad plated them instead.
    That being said ,to get more life I would say it would have to be put in an oven for awhile to dry it real good ,let it cool,
    then clear coat immediately.

Get Adobe Flash player

It will rust under the clear coat in the end so paint it now or have it chromed....

numberonewing

wings done that looks great but few months u see rust under start im n nyork still was kool but had a rusty effect //want to try exile they spray with silicone spray n lite on fire then feed the fire more seen n daytona yrs ago n the frame was perfect patina i thought

How about Galvanised treatment?

Heard it stops rust dead in its tracks!

Have been informed for a steel frame Zinc plating id the way to go.

Have been told it will cost 50 for a motorbike frame and swing arm!

Going to take the bike to them and get it looked at. Plenty of research to come before hand though.

numberonewing

another rustfrwee way is to gun blue it same way they do guns looks sweet

Get Adobe Flash player

If you don't conversion coat or pickle the raw steel no paint or clear will keep the rust off. Talk to your paint supplier Some clear coats will adhere to bare steel if its pickled. I prefer the Dupont raw steel metal prep but the cheap muriatic acid conversion coat from Lowe's works.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

zinc will work, and is a great sacraficial coating. its not gonna look that great though (imo)

if i was you, i would find a nickle plater...

Get Adobe Flash player

I had some tins clear coated after I sanded them to 60 grit. I didn't use automotive paint though. I took them to one of those places that paints school lockers and stuff. They put 4 coats of industrial clear coat on it. It cost me $80 and looked clear and thick. It held up to gas, and I rode the bike for 8 months before I sold it. Never saw any sign of oxidation show up under it.

I did my tank in clear. It sticks to the tank, no problem. I've gotten a few dots of rust, but that is probably poor prep. The look is quite all right, it looks like raw steel, but has a slightly different shine to it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have tried it a few times with different clearcoat and if it doesn't rust it will turn a yellowish color. I also really dig the raw metal look and have tried different things. I coat it lightly with wd-40 or Gibbs and reapply a few times a year. There is a new product that I haven't tried and can't remember the name of, but I will find out and report back. Tim

Get Adobe Flash player

It is called Dry Coat Rust Preventative and I think it's made by the same company that makes metal rescue. I am gonna try it this spring.

Get Adobe Flash player

what about clear powercoat?

Get Adobe Flash player

I used some clear by Eastwood designed for this. I did it about this time last year. It has held up well.

http://www.eastwood.com/diamond-clear-gloss-set.html

Get Adobe Flash player

I wanted to show all the raw welds and metal grain on my bike and kind of wanted to do something different by not painting it and dressing it up so I had the frame sand blasted and every raw metal part clear coated powdercoat. It's worked super well and held up for the two years I've had the bike in chopper form. There's a little surface rust on the front of the bars underneath the powder, but I think that's just from riding it every day and night in San Diego's climate. I used to live by the beach too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layla-1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	66763
    Last edited by sleazyrider; 01-21-2016 at 4:02 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Works to a certain degree, kinda turns it a dark color.
    Quote Originally Posted by timtpa59 View Post
    It is called Dry Coat Rust Preventative and I think it's made by the same company that makes metal rescue. I am gonna try it this spring.

Get Adobe Flash player

Try this stuff called Permalac, spray some copper years ago, and still looks the same, only see it in rattle cans.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFester View Post
    what about clear powercoat?
    I've got a buddy that owns a powder coating shop. He swears that powder coating is actually perforated under a microscope and will oxidize like clear coat does.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am a motorcyclist and a sculptor.
    If you clear coat bare steel it will last less than a year before you get rust blooms.
    The rust blooms will eventually penetrate the steel.
    There is a new product that neutralizes the rust and leaves you with a paintable surface.
    It goes on clear and stays clear. It is made by Loctite company. Sold at Home Depot.
    photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopping.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	84936
    Last edited by Luky; 06-17-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Share This